• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is wrong with believing in both science and religion?

ronki23

Science tells us how it works, religion tells us why.

I don't see anything wrong with some unseen force creating the rules of the Universe even if he/she doesn't intervene. We can't create life or resurrect the dead; even our understandings of medical science is limited as people still die from cancer, AIDS, alzhiemers,etc.

Don't really know the Abrahamic view on things but in Hinduism they believed that the Sun and Moon were not planets and they discovered planets too. I believe in Hinduism also acknowledged that there were multiple galaxies which contained stars and planets we could not see. Hinduism also predicted matter and antimatter.

I'd like to know what the different religions predicted

Altfish

Veteran Member
Firstly there is nothing wrong with believing in science and religion, The Pope and Archbishop of Canterbury already do.

Can't say I agree with that, science tells us 'why' too.

I don't see anything wrong with some unseen force creating the rules of the Universe even if he/she doesn't intervene. We can't create life or resurrect the dead; even our understandings of medical science is limited as people still die from cancer, AIDS, alzhiemers,etc.
Science is working on cures, what is religion doing?

Don't really know the Abrahamic view on things but in Hinduism they believed that the Sun and Moon were not planets and they discovered planets too. I believe in Hinduism also acknowledged that there were multiple galaxies which contained stars and planets we could not see. Hinduism also predicted matter and antimatter.
btw The Moon is NOT a planet.
That's one way of interpreting ambiguous scripts.

Religions have predicted little. Humans have later interpreted badly written texts to favourably make a prediction...after the fact.

HonestJoe

I disagree. Science is a set of systems, methods and procedures which can be used to formally study things. Religions are multiple different codified sets of beliefs, rules and practices. I don't see the two concepts are opposites or parallels but entirely separate and unrelated ones.

With respect, Hinduism didn't do any of these things, people did. They may have been Hindu and that faith may even have directed and influenced their studies but given people with all sorts of different beliefs (including none) also discovered and invented things, it can't be a key or required factor. I'd suggest that in discovering these things, they probably followed variations of scientific method too, even if they didn't formally identify it as such.

I'd also question any statement about a religion discovering things. In my experience, this is often the case of very selected interpretations of poetic scripture, turned to fit modern discoveries and understanding after the fact. That isn't to say there wasn't great study and understanding in history, inducing within Hindu culture, but the extent of such understanding is often exaggerated by modern descendants.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

As long as you can differentiate between science and religion there's nothing wrong on a personal level.

What's wrong between sciences and religion is whenever religion is put on equal terms with science. Religion is just not science and science is not a religion.

ronki23

Firstly there is nothing wrong with believing in science and religion, The Pope and Archbishop of Canterbury already do.

Religions have predicted little. Humans have later interpreted badly written texts to favourably make a prediction...after the fact.

I already said that

WalterTrull

Godfella
hmmm... I think maybe your belief compass is being swayed. Do you carry or wander near amulets of any sort? Perhaps you frequent bars where they have volumes containing religious or scientific esoterica ? It happens. Science and religion are both apophenia (my new word for the week, learned here on RF) snugglers. Given that, and in my view, there is certainly no problem following both their allegations. Interestingly enough, their assertions seem to be converging these days. I wonder if there will be fist fights.

David T

Premium Member

It's a clothing conflict. Lab coat vs pope robe.

Now non Catholics tend to want to wear the pope robe many non denominationalists get really confused and believe they are the pope. Now science tends takes a more pragmatic approach to their robe. They call it a lab coat. But some of them even get a but way too styling l. That's what the evolution vs intelligent design forum is actually. People arguing over robes. I absolutely did not answer the question but I had fun writing it!!!!
Science is modern nice buttons....
s-l300.jpg

Religion is old mythology. Look it buttons down the middle and he has silly cape shoulders.
Canonization_2014-_The_Canonization_of_Saint_John_XXIII_and_Saint_John_Paul_II_(14036966125).jpg

Trackdayguy

Speed doesn't kill, it's hitting the wall

Why is about wrong & right ?

idav

Being
Premium Member

How is objective. We can believe we know why but it’s speculation and highly subjective especially concerning why God does anything.

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
It's a clothing conflict. Lab coat vs pope robe.

Now non Catholics tend to want to wear the pope robe many non denominationalists get really confused and believe they are the pope. Now science tends takes a more pragmatic approach to their robe. They call it a lab coat. But some of them even get a but way too styling l. That's what the evolution vs intelligent design forum is actually. People arguing over robes. I absolutely did not answer the question but I had fun writing it!!!!
Science is modern nice buttons....
View attachment 21317

Religion is old mythology. Look it buttons down the middle and he has silly cape shoulders.
View attachment 21318
The Pope also has............... the Popemobile!
upload_2018-4-29_16-48-34.jpeg

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member

This is a bit of a rambling opening statement. Do you care to narrow your approach a little.

Phantasman

Science is understanding the physical (atomic makeup) and Christianity is the understanding of spiritual (non atomic) makeup. I cannot speak from religious thoughts of others, just my own.

One has to come to the conclusion of whether thought (of mind) is physical in nature or spiritual. I see the latter.

GoodbyeDave

Personally, I don't want belief: I want knowledge. Religious belief becomes fundamentalism, belief in science (as opposed to the discoveries of science) becomes scientism.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
First thoughts: the question seems schizophrenic. It's comparing apples and air conditioners. What do these two things have in common? They're pretty much opposites.

Science' conclusions are based on observation and testing. They're falsifiable and subject to revision as new data comes to light.

Religious beliefs are based on pre-rational indoctrination. They're based on nothing but tradition. They're writ in stone, they resist new data, and they're not falsifiable.
They're not rational.

I'm not entirely convinced that religion tells us why. "God did it/God wants it/It pleases God" seems pretty insipid.
Religion's purpose seems to be preservation of the social order through a shared narrative.

I don't see anything "wrong" with it either, but I see it as folklore.
As for technology, what we can do today we couldn't do yesterday, and what we cannot do today perhaps we will be able to do tomorrow. It has nothing to do with truth or the nature of reality.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
hmmm... I think maybe your belief compass is being swayed. Do you carry or wander near amulets of any sort? Perhaps you frequent bars where they have volumes containing religious or scientific esoterica ? It happens. Science and religion are both apophenia (my new word for the week, learned here on RF) snugglers. Given that, and in my view, there is certainly no problem following both their allegations. Interestingly enough, their assertions seem to be converging these days. I wonder if there will be fist fights.
How is religion apophenic, and how are their assertions converging?

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist
I disagree. Science is a set of systems, methods and procedures which can be used to formally study things. Religions are multiple different codified sets of beliefs, rules and practices. I don't see the two concepts are opposites or parallels but entirely separate and unrelated ones.

Most religions also have their explanations of the creation and this part can easily be compared to modern cosmology so they are not separated in this matter.