• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is wrong here?

JDMS

Academic Workhorse
Only you are allowed to have strong opinions and only politically correct opinions and the opinions of Peers are acceptable.

Actually, people are allowed to express opinions here that are not politically correct. Any many do it all the time. Comments about certain issues that would likely get you warned or even banned on other forums are allowed here (as long as its not a direct, personal insult).

But that doesn't mean that folks who don't agree with you won't call you out on it. And why wouldn't they?

People who use this forum are knowingly engaging in a community where pretty much any opinion is allowed, and that includes opposing opinions. Anyone is free to oppose another.

The fact that there are LGBT people here (even though there's often anti-LGBT sentiment) or strong theists (even though they are constantly questioned or opposed) shows that everyone here is choosing to let people have their own opinions, even if they thoroughly disagree.

If they didn't, they wouldn't be here. They'd be in a community that supports their opinions fully.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
I've been accused of being a brick wall here. I've also been accused of being a *******, a moron, lazy, ignorant, and just about everything else.

I would never complain about this because my skin is thick and I take everything as a compliment anyway. But my posts are being edited and I'd rather leave than have posts edited. Other people who disagree with dogma are also being insulted. This must skew the conversations to support doctrine and existing paradigm. Almost every single good point in many threads is being made by heretics rather than believers. Believers insult instead of addressing what's being said. It's ongoing.

Look at ShadowWolfs vacant* reply (I could get the hang of this I think). Instead of addressing the insults or te subjects of the thread "she" instead justifies the behavior by suggesting having a dissenting opinion is unacceptable. This is the same thing archaeologists have begun to do with those who don't accept their doctrine; insults and demean those who spout heresy. If you don't believe that superstition can make anyone wise and strong then you are a bigot today!!!

*it is not the poster who is vacant or ridiculous it is the silly* argument.

*it is not silly because the poster is silly but because...

...Well, this could go on ad infinitum. I'll just sit back and wait a few minutes till I'm called an "idiot" which is OK because obviously it is true and I don't believe in "intelligence" (which is sorely lacking is so many posts supporting doctrine).

If only there were something to get my ideas across to people; LIKE WORDS. Read what I write and respond to THAT.

No animals were hurt in the production of this post and any resemblance to insults are merely coincidental.
Where do you get the idea that only believers get away with insulting?

cladking

Actually, people are allowed to express opinions here that are not politically correct. Any many do it all the time.

!

I was sure raked over the coals for suggesting that mutilating a child's genitalia might be worse than touching. You touch and the taxpayer supports you in prison but you mutilate and the tax payers hands you stacks of money.

I'm not politically correct. But I do try to be logical.

The fact that there are LGBT people here (even though there's often anti-LGBT sentiment) or strong theists (even though they are constantly questioned or opposed) shows that everyone here is choosing to let people have their own opinions, even if they thoroughly disagree.

I believe in live and let live but I don't want children indoctrinated to buy Pepsi and hate their own genitalia. It's not the schools' job to teach creationism or that Evolution is settled science. They're supposed to be teaching that there is no such thing as settled science and that without understanding metaphysics no understanding of science can exist.

I don't care what people believe. It is more than enough that I listen to them and consider. After that I will exercise my right to an opinion whether they like it or not.

As I said there is more tolerance here than most sites but the insults tend to be one sided.

If they didn't, they wouldn't be here. They'd be in a community that supports their opinions fully.

ROFL.

Oddly enough I wouldn't enjoy such a site if it existed. I disagree so much that I usually point it out if I do find some agreement.

JDMS

Academic Workhorse
!

I was sure raked over the coals for suggesting that mutilating a child's genitalia might be worse than touching. You touch and the taxpayer supports you in prison but you mutilate and the tax payers hands you stacks of money.

I'm not politically correct. But I do try to be logical.

Yes. You were raked across the coals by other users, but... Your comment wasn't removed. You were not warned. You were not banned. So yes, you were allowed to say it. You will just have people disagreeing with you.

cladking

Yes. You were raked across the coals by other users, but... Your comment wasn't removed. You were not warned. You were not banned. So yes, you were allowed to say it. You will just have people disagreeing with you.

And I didn't insult anybody. The less than kind things I did imply were provoked.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I had this on another post but didn't want to take a chance of derailing it.

"I don't know if I'm going to continue on here or not. People can say offensive and hateful thing to me but if I say something that can be taken as an insult it will be.

For now I'll just try making sure more often that people know I'm insulting them. This is very out of character since I try to calm things instead of starting them.

Mebbe I'll start insulting people in the next post.

There are some great posters here. Maybe I should put half the users on 'ignore"."

I guess when you disagree with everyone you are held to some other standard.

Apparently if you believe in science there are no standards.

I've seen this as a common phenomenon on the internet, where some arguments might take place, tempers flare, and flames (insults) come out.

When I started out on the internet, I found Usenet and posted to that, as there wasn't much in terms of social media or web-based message boards at that point. Many of the Usenet groups were virtually unmoderated, so you could pretty much say and post whatever you wanted. Someone throws an insult at you, you insult them back - and there were no moderators for anyone to report posts to. So, everyone was on their own, sink or swim.

Then I got AOL and found some of their message boards, but I quickly realized that it wasn't "anything goes" as I got used to on Usenet. They had stricter Terms of Service, and on a few of their message boards, it seemed like there were certain "cliques" of posters who could violate the rules with impunity and insult whoever they wanted, while if anyone insulted them back, they'd get reported.

I also spent some time on the IMDb message boards which were also moderated, but somewhat lightly, I would say. So, a lot of incendiary stuff ended up showing up, especially right around the 2016 election, and then they decided to ashcan those message boards entirely. But it was fun while it lasted.

I guess over the years, I grew a bit of a thick skin, so what people say to me online doesn't really faze me as much as it might have in the past. Here on RF, it's kind of a mixed bag - a zany band of misfits and screwballs. Not everyone gets along necessarily, and sometimes there are arguments. Some people get mad and quit. But it's like that pretty much in any forum.

Heyo

Veteran Member
When I started out on the internet, I found Usenet and posted to that, as there wasn't much in terms of social media or web-based message boards at that point. Many of the Usenet groups were virtually unmoderated, so you could pretty much say and post whatever you wanted. Someone throws an insult at you, you insult them back - and there were no moderators for anyone to report posts to. So, everyone was on their own, sink or swim.

Then I got AOL and found some of their message boards, but I quickly realized that it wasn't "anything goes" as I got used to on Usenet. They had stricter Terms of Service, and on a few of their message boards, it seemed like there were certain "cliques" of posters who could violate the rules with impunity and insult whoever they wanted, while if anyone insulted them back, they'd get reported.
I had different experiences. While usenet was mostly unmoderated, you could still complain to the provider of an offending user, usually a university. They had posting guidelines and they enforced them.
With the advent of the AOLusers, that went away as nobody at AOL seemed to care how their users behaved. Some groups had bans on all AOLusers.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Actually I strongly agree. Frankly this is one of the best sites on the net for not having insult contests that spiral out of control. The weakness here if any, is that people talk right past one another most of the time when it's the differences between religion and science. But it's never the religious ones hurling insults and hateful speech, it's always the believers in science.
There's plenty of insults and hateful speech here directed toward non-religious people if you bother to look for it.