• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Whataboutism?

idav

Being
Premium Member
What is whataboutism and is it causing further moral corruption in current politics? Does it mean we shouldn't care anymore what politicians do?

This YouTube does a great analysis in ge dangers of bringing up opponents moral issues any time a politician (Trump) is morally challenged.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
As I understand it you get blame for something today, you respond what about that person in the past that did something else and got away with it.

idav

Being
Premium Member
As I understand it you get blame for something today, you respond what about that person in the past that did something else and got away with it.
I like how John Oliver put it saying a person would be accused of murder and the defense attorney would be like, I know my client murdered, "but what about Jeffrey Dahmer, what about Al Capone, what about the guy from the silence of the lambs."

idav

Being
Premium Member
It’s how democrats escape looking themselves in the mirror when asking republicans to do it
I am hearing a lot that it's an old Russian tactic being employed by you know who.

Does it make it ok to do whatever cause we can always point to someone else doing the same or worse?

A common theme when accusing Trump of sexual assault was for people to say, yeah but what about Bill Clinton. It is actually a good question, Bill Clinton was not running for president, so truly, what about Bill, Bill was always beside the point in those debates.

SinSaber

I am hearing a lot that it's an old Russian tactic being employed by you know who.

Does it make it ok to do whatever cause we can always point to someone else doing the same or worse?

A common theme when accusing Trump of sexual assault was for people to say, yeah but what about Bill Clinton. It is actually a good question, Bill Clinton was not running for president, so truly, what about Bill, Bill was always beside the point in those debates.

Listen, I believe all these women. I also believe Washington Post purposefully withheld the info, but that’s something else.

The ALABAMA GOP and Trump are wrong for this counterpoint ****. However, if democrats aren’t willing to accept they made wrongs themselves then the divide will never close

idav

Being
Premium Member
However, if democrats aren’t willing to accept they made wrongs themselves then the divide will never close
Just curious, what is it your saying dems been denying, thanks to Wikileaks and various hacathons they were an open book this season.

SinSaber

Just curious, what is it your saying dems been denying, thanks to Wikileaks and various hacathons they were an open book this season.

Not denying things but shoving stuff under the rug. They tried their hardest to destroy those women who accused Bill.

Laika

Premium Member
What is whataboutism and is it causing further moral corruption in current politics? Does it mean we shouldn't care anymore what politicians do?

No. Its a distraction tactic to evade moral responsibility. Its the moral equivalent of someone saying "look over there" and trying to run away. There are larger questions about the imperfect nature of human beings and of our own morality that do deserve more serious discussion, but typically that's not what this defence is used for because its driven by sheer opportunism. It is better not to confuse the individuals responsibility for doing something that is wrong with corrosive nature of corruption and hypocrisy on our ability to live up to moral ideals.

So I'm sort of in agreement with Shapiro on this one and he is absolutely right that this defence is justified based on expediency and of "fighting fire with fire". That's not how legal or constitutional systems should work and this kind of partisanship is a basis for authoritarianism which defies the rule of law.

idav

Being
Premium Member
No. Its a distraction tactic to evade moral responsibility. Its the moral equivalent of someone saying "look over there" and trying to run away. There are larger questions about the imperfect nature of human beings and of our own morality that do deserve more serious discussion, but typically that's not what this defence is used for because its driven by sheer opportunism. It is better not to confuse the individuals responsibility for doing something that is wrong with corrosive nature of corruption and hypocrisy on our ability to live up to moral ideals.

So I'm sort of in agreement with Shapiro on this one and he is absolutely right that this defence is justified based on expediency and of "fighting fire with fire". That's not how legal or constitutional systems should work and this kind of partisanship is a basis for authoritarianism which defies the rule of law.
Exactly, whataboutiam even assumes an extreme moral relativism exists, it doesn't. Not all things are equal in a moral landscape.