• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is truth? John 18:38

neologist

An interesting conversation reportedly took place between Governor Pilate and Jesus Christ, recorded at John chapter 18, vss. 37, 38: Jesus said "For this I have been born, and for this I have come into the world, that I should bear witness to the truth. Everyone that is on the side of the truth listens to my voice." 38 Pilate said to him: "What is truth?"
So I ask: What is acceptable proof in a spiritual sense?
To which I add: Would your standard be practical?

Truth seems to be the total opposite of what this world does.The world does the exact opposite of what Jesus taught in the holy scriptures.So to me it seems that the truth is what Jesus teaches.What God commands.This standard might not seem practical to people in the world because they want to do as they see fit.Unfortunately this includes everything that goes against what God commands.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
An interesting conversation reportedly took place between Governor Pilate and Jesus Christ, recorded at John chapter 18, vss. 37, 38: Jesus said "For this I have been born, and for this I have come into the world, that I should bear witness to the truth. Everyone that is on the side of the truth listens to my voice." 38 Pilate said to him: "What is truth?"

He appears to be saying that what he teaches is the truth, probably including the idea that he is the awaited Messiah, whom has a "King" aspect. However, he makes it plain that his kingdom is not of this world.

Joh 18:33 Then Pilate entered into the judgment hall again, and called Jesus, and said unto him, Art thou the King of the Jews?

Joh 18:34 Jesus answered him, Sayest thou this thing of thyself, or did others tell it thee of me?

Joh 18:35 Pilate answered, Am I a Jew? Thine own nation and the chief priests have delivered thee unto me: what hast thou done?

Joh 18:36 Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.

Joh 18:37 Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth hears my voice.

Joh 18:38 Pilate saith unto him, What is truth? And when he had said this, he went out again unto the Jews, and saith unto them, I find in him no fault at all.

crazyrussian

No stranger to this topic

The 4 bible gospels actually delete or omit a great deal of this conversation concerning what is truth.

Reality checking the Christian world with Pilates question!
A single event in History; Can it be reported in half the truth and it still be the full truth inspired by God if God is not the author of Confusion?

John
33 Then Pilate entered the Praetorium again, called Jesus, and said to Him, "Are You the King of the Jews?" 34 Jesus answered him, "Are you speaking for yourself about this, or did others tell you this concerning Me?" 35 Pilate answered, "Am I a Jew? Your own nation and the chief priests have delivered You to me. What have You done?" 36 Jesus answered, "My kingdom is not of this world. If My kingdom were of this world, My servants would fight, so that I should not be delivered to the Jews; but now My kingdom is not from here." 37 Pilate therefore said to Him, "Are You a king then?" Jesus answered, "You say rightly that I am a king. For this cause I was born, and for this cause I have come into the world, that I should bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth hears My voice." 38 Pilate said to Him, "What is truth?" And when he had said this, he went out again to the Jews, and said to them, "I find no fault in Him at all.

This below testimony is from Gospel of Nicodemus and it’s very consistent with John testimony, however, the underlined section is completely missing from John testimony.

And Pilate went in again into the judgment hall and called Jesus apart and said unto him: Art thou the King of the Jews? Jesus answered and said to Pilate: Sayest thou this thing of thyself, or did others tell it thee of me? Pilate answered Jesus: Am I also a Jew? Thine own nation and the chief priests have delivered thee unto me: what hast thou done? Jesus answered: My kingdom is not of this world; for if my kingdom were of this world, my servants would have striven that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence. Pilate said unto him: Art thou a king, then? Jesus answered him: Thou sayest that I am a king; for this cause was I born and am come, that every one that is of the truth should hear my voice. Pilate saith unto him: What is truth? Jesus saith unto him: Truth is of heaven. Pilate saith: Is there not truth upon earth? Jesus saith unto Pilate: Thou seest how that they which speak the truth are judged of them that have authority upon earth. And Pilate left Jesus in the judgment hall and went forth to the Jews and said unto them: I find no fault in him.

This Following testimony is from the Gospel of Holy twelve found in 1877 in a monastery in Tibet. This testimony is verified ancient by having testimonial ties to first century writings not known to exist until 1945 when the Nag Hammadi library was discovered. This testimony is also Very consistent with John and Nicodemus, but also contains testimony consistent with Matthew and appears to be the most complete testimony for this event in Christ’s life at this single point in history. The underlined section is completely missing from bible testimony, but found in the gospel of Nicodemus.

Gospel of holy 12:
Then Pilate entered into the judgment hall again and called Jesus and said unto him, Art thou the King of the Jews? Jesus answered him, Sayest thou this thing of thyself, or did others tell it thee of me? Pilate answered, Am I a Jew? Thine own nation and the chief priests have delivered thee unto me; what hast thou done? Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world, if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servant’s fight that I should not be delivered to the Jews; but now is my kingdom not from hence. Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a King then? Jesus answered; Thou sayest that I am, yea, a King I am. To this end was I born and for this cause came I unto the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice. Pilate said unto him, what is truth? Jesus said, Truth is from heaven. Pilate said, Then truth is not on earth. Jesus said unto Pilate, Believe thou, that truth is on earth amongst those who receive and obey it. They are of the truth who judge righteously. And when he had heard this, he went out again unto the Jews and saith unto them, I find in him no fault at all. And when he was accused of the chief priests and elders he answered them nothing. Then said Pilate unto him, Hearest thou not, how many things they witness against thee? And he answered them never a word, insomuch that the governor marveled greatly, and again he said unto them, I find no fault in this man.

neologist

Reality checking the Christian world with Pilates question!
A single event in History; Can it be reported in half the truth and it still be the full truth inspired by God if God is not the author of Confusion?
Can you imagine the size of the Bible containing all relevant information?
Genesis chapter 1 expanded to cover the eons of each creative day?
The Gospels expanded to cover all of Jesus' works?
I started reading the bible in earnest 42 years ago. I'm thankful to have finished it several times by now instead of still waiting to read about Noah.

One point I Take from the conversation with Pilate is the his cynicism, an attitude which seems to prevail in excess in our day. Our generation is so dadburned smart, we can't seem to agree on anything. (Daniel 2:43)

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
In this case "bearing witness to the truth" means teaching it, and since he is claiming to be the Messiah, perhaps - calling himself the proof of the truth, of YHVH's word.