• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is True Belief?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
answering the title directly.....

a true belief is an item you haven proven to yourself

and hopefully you did look upon that item as if to pay a high price for it

a gem stone.....so to speak
looking through every facet

It is not any more advisable to convince yourself of proven belief or truth than try to prove others of this.

GreenpeaceRECo-operative

Darwin and others missed George Fox of the Quakers
Soon perhaps God will judge me and we'll see if he has loved me as much as I have tried to love him?
What a wonderful account of a life that you can´t even appreciate properly because you still judge it without an adequate perspective. I was raised atheist/secular humanist by a highly educated dad who valued Therapeutic Psychology in the mix, and that kind of well-balanced thinking let me start out early. I picked a book out of his library by a scholar Huston Smith and liked what I read about Taoism. I also stopped by the local Unitarian Universalist interfaith congregation, where they talk about respecting everybody´s spiritual path, in house, if the basics of all-around respect are met. That corresponds to principles that include "challenging structures...."

I was never actually comfortable in UU congregations unless I was pursuing my other spiritual activities independently. I found another important base in the 12 step group Recovery Movement which began and diversified with its purposes of healing, and powerful 12 step program. In combination with other activities also, it is an amazing modern development with a non-judgmental structure that may be a little shakier outside the big cities, but is worth trying and keeping in the utility belt, if not strong involvement. I´m big on education, and have uncovered the spiritual roots and foundations of University-based scholarship in Christian monasticism and Church systems. It is, like modern Western societies, based on the principle of Freedom of Religion, which itself makes society a macrocosm of UUism. So, take heart! You´re a step or two away from the kind of liberation beyond which the Buddha talked.

As to why you experienced God´s loving healing amongst the Mormons is part of the good side of diversity. I´ve admired from afar the Mormons sociality and affirmation of the personal relationship they cultivate with God through Jesus. I experienced a good amount of healing in various arenas, like Zen Buddhist meditation, Christian Science, the 12 step group Recovery Movement, and touched base with a religious community or another like the 12 Tribes Community. In the end, I´m a Freethinking UU interfaith Christian, so that UUism itself is only something I consider a kind of satellite in orbit around the Earth for my free-range, Fair Trade spiritual spaceship. I´m an independent scholar, ultimately, drawing primarily on the University as my interfaith "Church," I´d say. That´s contrary to the extremist secularism that drives much University study, and opposed to the Fundamentalist mentality of most Christian Universities, and so it goes.

All the best.

Last edited:

usfan

Not apparent in your posts ridiculing science.
You just continue with the false accusations and propaganda.. :rolleyes:

I might ridicule you, for your absurd caricatures, and anti-science position, but i do not ridicule science. It is a proven method of discovery, that has been all but abandoned by progressive indoctrinees..

Your constant personal attacks toward me.. in EVERY THREAD, expose you as a propagandist. :shrug:

Ellen Brown

What a wonderful account of a life that you can´t even appreciate properly because you still judge it without an adequate perspective. I was raised atheist/secular humanist by a highly educated dad who valued Therapeutic Psychology in the mix, and that kind of well-balanced thinking let me start out early. I picked a book out of his library by a scholar Huston Smith and liked what I read about Taoism. I also stopped by the local Unitarian Universalist interfaith congregation, where they talk about respecting everybody´s spiritual path, in house, if the basics of all-around respect are met. That corresponds to principles that include "challenging structures...."

I was never actually comfortable in UU congregations unless I was pursuing my other spiritual activities independently. I found another important base in the 12 step group Recovery Movement which began and diversified with its purposes of healing, and powerful 12 step program. In combination with other activities also, it is an amazing modern development with a non-judgmental structure that may be a little shakier outside the big cities, but is worth trying and keeping in the utility belt, if not strong involvement. I´m big on education, and have uncovered the spiritual roots and foundations of University-based scholarship in Christian monasticism and Church systems. It is, like modern Western societies, based on the principle of Freedom of Religion, which itself makes society a macrocosm of UUism. So, take heart! You´re a step or two away from the kind of liberation beyond which the Buddha talked.

As to why you experienced God´s loving healing amongst the Mormons is part of the good side of diversity. I´ve admired from afar the Mormons sociality and affirmation of the personal relationship they cultivate with God through Jesus. I experienced a good amount of healing in various arenas, like Zen Buddhist meditation, Christian Science, the 12 step group Recovery Movement, and touched base with a religious community or another like the 12 Tribes Community. In the end, I´m a Freethinking UU interfaith Christian, so that UUism itself is only something I consider a kind of satellite in orbit around the Earth for my free-range, Fair Trade spiritual spaceship. I´m an independent scholar, ultimately, drawing primarily on the University as my interfaith "Church," I´d say. That´s contrary to the extremist secularism that drives much University study, and opposed to the Fundamentalist mentality of most Christian Universities, and so it goes.

All the best.

Mormon people in my experience are good people. Their leadership are devils.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

I might ridicule you, for your absurd caricatures, and anti-science position, but i do not ridicule science. It is a proven method of discovery, that has been all but abandoned by progressive indoctrinees..

Your constant personal attacks toward me.. in EVERY THREAD, expose you as a propagandist. :shrug:

I am indifferent to your ridicule of me. It is the problem of your ridicule of the science of evolution based on a religious agenda and not based on coherent science.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

In previous thread you have equated the science of evolution and abiogenesis to 'atheism,' which clearly documents that this is a religious issue for YOU.

As in this thread: Speed of Light and the Age of the Universe

usfan

In previous thread you have equated the science of evolution and abiogenesis to 'atheism,' which clearly documents that this is a religious issue for YOU.

As in this thread: Speed of Light and the Age of the Universe
Another false accusation.. :rolleyes:

i have not posted in, or even read, that thread..

Is promoting a narrative more important to you than rational discussion? It seems to be. Barrage after barrage of lies and phony narratives, distortions, and straw men.

I should just put you on ignore, so hateful are your posts toward me..

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Another false accusation.. :rolleyes:

i have not posted in, or even read, that thread..

Is promoting a narrative more important to you than rational discussion? It seems to be. Barrage after barrage of lies and phony narratives, distortions, and straw men.

I should just put you on ignore, so hateful are your posts toward me..

This is your post! #1, you are the author of this thread, which reveals your religious agenda in spads, and much more in the thread.

usfan said:
You cannot really debate with a YEC because sooner or later they will fall back to unfalsifiable claims, e.g. "god made that fossil evidence to test your faith.".
Baloney. More putting labels on people and judging their thinking. Sorta like atheists who make unfalsifiable claims like the water runoff from rocks and chemicals in the early atmosphere created life, huh ?

Based on this thread, and your history of posts, you cannot deny your religious anti-science agenda.

Last edited:

GreenpeaceRECo-operative

Darwin and others missed George Fox of the Quakers
Mormon people in my experience are good people. Their leadership are devils.
Well, I wish them well, Mormons. However, my path harmonized most with some among their membership that had put up a website once in the past called LDS Co-op. The person talked about organic agriculture and the co-op movement inside Mormonism especially. In the last year or so I looked on youtube and found a video by a young Mormon woman who was going to Yale´s Religion and Ecology program. She did a talk comparing Mormonism with a Native religious approach. Very cool and modern. Hopefully, those members can keep expanding their understanding within the Mormon community.

Meanwhile, while I´m an independent interfaith Christian emerging from a UUism base, I´m looking at the history of Quakerism and the current spirit of the United Church of Christ, which used to be Congregationalism and launched the Social Gospel in Washington Gladden. You might get a kick out of the life of Mary Collson, who I´m starting to dip into. Or maybe Karen Armstrong. Or Lewis Mehl-Medrona. And look for women Shamans. And definitely see Netflix´s documentary movie Heal. It´s dedicated to Louise Hay. Mary Collson started out Unitarian in the midwest, then joined Jane Addam´s social service movement at Hull House, and then the healing type Christian Science movement for a while. She couldn´t take some of the hypocrisies of CS in the end, but shows how lucky we are today to have more options, in general. Karen Armstrong is pretty heady overall, but has started a spiritual program. I can also recommend Chellis Glendinning, who wrote "Hi, My Name is Chelllis....In Recovery from Western Civilization."

Thanks to the Freedom of Religion in the US overall, we can turn the tables on problematic leadership if we keep our wits. With the help of our Higher Power relationship.

Bird123

Religion has always felt like an uphill trudge where I would never be "worth it". There was life as a Pseudo Baptist, then as a non-denominational Evangelical, all for 30 years. The way that folk ignored the words of Jesus Christ after 9/11 convinced me that "their" Jesus was plastic, not real. I left to search, because belief in God was unshakeable.

Winding up in Islam, that lasted for more than 7 years, but it didn't feel like their view of Jesus Christ was respectful enough, like they gave more credence to Muhammad PBUH than they did Jesus. When pressed though, most would say Jesus is the Best Prophet.

Then I met some Mormon Sister Missionaries, and over the next 2 years was convinced that their version of Jesus Christ was true. They said I would be fully accepted, and I felt healed of so many experiences that caused deep PTSD. I'd prayed for years to be given the power to forgive those who'd done unspeakable things to me, and when I was Baptized a Mormon, I was fully healed of that hatred. However after I'd been with them for 5 years, their constant harping about worthiness and getting one of their Temple Recommends finally showed me that I would never actually be acceptable to them, Never !!!

As I studied, it became increasingly obvious that they defied the Bible in critical areas. Their Prophet could overrule the very words of the Bible. Something had told me to never disavow Islam, and I didn't. None of this was acceptable and there is more, but I'll spare you.

I am so jealous of those who had good education in belief and parents that did not expose them to abuse and molestation.

I can not understand how the healing I got through the Mormons could have happened, I just can't. Yet by the mercy of a Creator that loves me that healing has stayed with me. The ways of God are not my ways and I try my hardest to please him. The past is why I'm an Abrahamic Religionist, not fully Christian, not a good Muslim and not destined to be a good Jew. I've studied Native American beliefs because I am half Cherokee, so their Animism makes sense to me.

Some of you have tried to put me in a little box because of the depth of your own ignorance, but that is not going to work out. Soon perhaps God will judge me and we'll see if he has loved me as much as I have tried to love him?

The WAYS of God are your ways. You journey through life, learning, growing, and seeking Truth. You must realize that the Beliefs of mankind will never add up completely because they are Beliefs not Truth.

Though you wander in every direction, you are still moving forward. It is in your soul and you must never let it go that it must all add up. It will.

Stop worrying about pleasing God. You please God in ways you can not imagine. Be who you must! It's a part of the plan! Listen to the advice of others but walk your own path! Life's lessons are best learned that way.

You were created to be who you are rather than what some religion wants you to be. Widen your view so the fog might clear.

This is what I am seeing. Further, your answers are all around you waiting to be Discovered. Though you have Discovered much, there is always much more.Your adventure continues.