• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is this priest using?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Right... that's is the new one I just got. It's very nice, it's light to hold and doesn't make a mess. The one that made a mess is the first one I got. I don't have a picture of that. I've used camphor, and have quite a few of the little tablets. But it does make a lot of smoke. I only use it occasionally, mostly for scenting up the house. Husband though I had an open jar of Vicks® VapoRub™. :D

I patterned mine from the nightly Mangala Aarti at temple. Given that there are people from all over, and it's a Vishnu temple, I'm not surprised. However, the Sri Venkateshwara aarti is more elaborate. I can't make out what the mantras are. But they use several deepas... one is the regular single puja deepa...

Deebhakal_unpolish.184231819_std.jpg

This one...

natchathira-aarathi-brass-articles-temple-puja-items-online.jpg

and one that looks like a brass jar, single flame at the top which makes a lot of smoke, may be camphor.

I have one of those too. It gets used for the minor aarati in the puja. The other one is just for final aarati.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Like Vinayaka said, there should not be any problem with small wick and less oil. These are not for many artis which take a long time. For that your scheme is OK. Note what he said - the wicks hang out.

Yes, it took all of 6-7 minutes, maybe less. Only as long as the song and the other prayers. I used the round wicks, next time I'll use the regular wicks. They only have to be about an inch, or less. Maybe 1/2". Trial and error.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I have one of those too. It gets used for the minor aarati in the puja. The other one is just for final aarati.

That's pretty much what I settled on. I wonder where I got the inspiration!? :D

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
and one that looks like a brass jar, single flame at the top which makes a lot of smoke, may be camphor.

Like this, with a single wick at the top. The priests hold it with two hands.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Like this, with a single wick at the top. The priests hold it with two hands.

I'll ask a priest here. It's waved in the 'telling the deity we're going on parade' portion of the processions, when they happen. There is a series of things waved, like mini-brass umbrellas, flags, fans, and various differing aarti lamps.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
A small 'kumbham'? (pitcher to hold water for rituals or water to be sprinkled where the Deity will walk to clean the path).

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I'll ask a priest here. It's waved in the 'telling the deity we're going on parade' portion of the processions, when they happen. There is a series of things waved, like mini-brass umbrellas, flags, fans, and various differing aarti lamps.

Thanks. I know the simple answer to these questions is to just ask a priest, but given the language barrier... well, y'know. :D