• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Theism Anyway?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
In the process of doing this "Exploring Theisms" series, I haven't directly posed the question of what theism is. The intent behind the series is to get us thinking about the many faces of theism and what it means to be a theist (and, by extension, non-theist). But I think it is worth looking at that term "theism" in the face. To stare it down at high noon and take a crack at it. I'm not going to present a definition from Oxford English Dictionary this time. Instead, I'm interested in hearing how you define theism.

Let's present our own definitions of theism, and in doing so, define key terms within our definitions. Definitions of theism are often short, but they contain some meaty words in there that have a lot of nuances. For example, if someone defines "theism" as "belief in god(s)" we then have to address what we feel "belief" means and what "god(s)" mean. This thread is not for debate, but to pontificate a bit, share our perspectives, and learn from the perspectives of others.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think of theism as belief in the ontological existence of a deity or deities. By belief, I mean a notion that is accepted as true. By ontological, I mean being. By existence, I mean real. By deity, I mean something understood to be a supreme being, or even sometimes (but not always) something understood to be ultimate reality. So theism is a notion that a supreme being or beings are real.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I think of theism as belief in the ontological existence of a deity or deities. By belief, I mean a notion that is accepted as true. By ontological, I mean being. By existence, I mean real. By deity, I mean something understood to be a supreme being, or even sometimes (but not always) something understood to be ultimate reality. So theism is a notion that a supreme being or beings are real.

Replace "supreme" with "intangible" and this becomes pretty close to what I'd define it as, when regarding Gods in the standard conception rather than my personal one.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Replace "supreme" with "intangible" and this becomes pretty close to what I'd define it as, when regarding Gods in the standard conception rather than my personal one.

You can replace it if you want, but for me, an intangible being could be all sorts of things -- spirits, ghosts, etc -- that I would not consider gods.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
You can replace it if you want, but for me, an intangible being could be all sorts of things -- spirits, ghosts, etc -- that I would not consider gods.

Fair enough. Having just woken up with only a wee bit of caffeine, my mind is not terribly ... precise, yet.

Part of the problem with "supreme", though, is that the Gods I worship are anything but supreme. They "govern" over things, sure, but they're still subject to others. All Gods are subject to Destiny (Wyrd) and Death, for instance.

I've come to adapt the ancient term "wights" as a reference to "intangible beings" in general. Part of the reason for my personal definition of the word God (anything that's been deified) was to help distinguish God-wights from other wights, as well as provide a reason why tangible things and people have been called Gods in the past and present.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I hear what you are saying, but I tend to agree with Riverwolf; my definition of a deity would need to specify "intangible", as my God isn't tangible ( as far as I know :)). I don't know whether that is going to apply to everyone though.
Perhaps defining "deities" or "Gods" is going to be impossible - far too subjective to get an acceptable general definition...

Lusius Fire

Cold Skin, Warm Soul
In the process of doing this "Exploring Theisms" series, I haven't directly posed the question of what theism is. The intent behind the series is to get us thinking about the many faces of theism and what it means to be a theist (and, by extension, non-theist). But I think it is worth looking at that term "theism" in the face. To stare it down at high noon and take a crack at it. I'm not going to present a definition from Oxford English Dictionary this time. Instead, I'm interested in hearing how you define theism.

Let's present our own definitions of theism, and in doing so, define key terms within our definitions. Definitions of theism are often short, but they contain some meaty words in there that have a lot of nuances. For example, if someone defines "theism" as "belief in god(s)" we then have to address what we feel "belief" means and what "god(s)" mean. This thread is not for debate, but to pontificate a bit, share our perspectives, and learn from the perspectives of others.

Theism is the presentation of reality in the form of consciousness as represented through symbolic entities possessing superhuman abilities.

Presentation: Choosing to portray something in a certain way.

Reality
: The combination of what falls both in perception and the lack thereof; otherwise it could be considered the combination of external/objective circumstances with internal/subjective circumstances.

Consciousness: The region of being responsible for mainstream processing of choice/decision-making, not presented in and of itself with any physical solidity.

Represented: Taking something with no actual physical presence and making it have a physical presence (such as portraying it through symbolic idols bearing aspects that clearly portray qualities either overtly or, in many cases, through great subtlety).

Symbolic: Something transcendent of fixed meaning but still possessing fixed meanings based on the context of the symbol's portrayal.

Entities: Personified beings that take on characteristics commonly associated with human beings (the types of character traits of human beings, i.e. personality, style, mood, general disposition, etc.)

Superhuman abilities: The power to alter reality in ways that an ordinary cannot do unassisted by technology.

syo

theism is when someone believes gods are real with real powers and not archtypes or metaphors or imaginary - that would be atheism.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

In a Christian gospel, John, there is the notion that God is spirit, or transliterating from John 4:24 the words are 'Theos pneuma'. These are the Greek words for 'divine + respiration'. I think it expresses the absence of ontological gods and a distrust of physical, real, experiential divinity. Instead it is about a god that is known through indirect reasoning and discussion, one that cannot be reached through oracles. The effect is that it is something that politicians cannot claim connection with more than anyone else can, since there is no contact. I think part of the point is to deny leaders the right to claim that gods favor them, that they are somehow better than other people. It is nevertheless a faith in God, an actual faith that people are supposed to have albeit without physical evidence.

LukeS

Belief in God. I'll ignore the concepts for a while, and add that its an attitude, and a series of behaviours like prayer, worship, a sense of awe, reverence, dependence etc. They all make up a philosophical behavioural (I am influenced by G Ryle) where mental statements of belief (eg I believe that the honey is in the cupboard) might be translated into observable actions (when asked to fetch the honey I look in the cupboard)...

Koran 29.2 Do the people think that they will be left to say, "We believe" and they will not be tried?