• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the Ultimate Goal of (Your) Religion?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
13235-man-alone-walks-water-path-road-sky-clouds-horizon.1200w.tn.jpg

What do you think the ultimate goal is of religion?

What do you expect religion in general or your specific religion to accomplish?

How or when will you know that your religion has accomplished it's goal?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
At one point, I would have said moksha, but I think I've dropped the idea of goals. I'm happy just being. Moksha will occur when and if its supposed to.

Until then, I'm just content to bask in the presence of my Gods, who are present in all(in my view).

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The individual goal is to be united with God through love.

Also:
To penetrate into the essence of all being and significance and to release the fragrance of that inner attainment for the guidance and benefit of others – by expressing, in the world of forms, truth, love, purity, and beauty – this is the sole game that has intrinsic and absolute worth. All other happenings, incidents, and attainments in themselves can have no lasting importance.

The goal of Meher Baba's advent is to bring in the New Humanity and establish a new golden age on Earth. The Native American singer songwriter Denean follows a different path but this is a wonderful poetic statement from her song Ilahinoor of the transformation (Ilahinoor means “Divine Light” in Turkish)

Year of the circle, beginning again
Spiraling, spinning, old ways now must end
Awake from your slumber, butterflies of light
Stretch your new wings now, it's time to take your flight
Homo luminous, it's what you've now become
Homo luminous, awake Divine Human
Ilahinoor, Ilahinoor, awake Divine Human
Our new world now is born

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Realization that it is all One Consciousness/Brahman in sat-cit-ananda (being-awareness-bliss).

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I see there is no ownership of religion, so it can not be mine (your).

I see the goal of God given Faith, which attracts the hearts and souls, is the recognition of the Onenss of God.

Thus the intent is to unite the human race in that oneness, as to enable us to work together for an ever advancing civilization.

Regards Tony

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
13235-man-alone-walks-water-path-road-sky-clouds-horizon.1200w.tn.jpg

To become a compassionate human being who deals with the future, not ruminating on the past or present.

To make people better humans who love other people, animals and the environment.

When we start improving the earth and have no wars or poverty.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
This quote says what I believe the ultimate goal of religion is.

“The fundamental purpose animating the Faith of God and His Religion is to safeguard the interests and promote the unity of the human race, and to foster the spirit of love and fellowship amongst men. Suffer it not to become a source of dissension and discord, of hate and enmity. This is the straight Path, the fixed and immovable foundation.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 215
I believe that eventually my religion will lead to world unity and the oneness of mankind.
I do not think the older religions will ever accomplish that because they are too divided within and also divided from other religions.
When we see it happen, probably not during my lifetime though. ;)

What do you think the ultimate goal is of religion?...

I think the main goal is to become righteous, because:

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

I'm not sure if there is one that can be said for all religions.

Generally: see my first answer :)
Specifically: the cessation (or maybe reduction) of dukkha.*

Can I know? I don't know. Realisation is ineffable.

- Dukkha
>
Dukkha is commonly explained according to three different categories:
  • The obvious physical and mental suffering associated with birth, growing old, illness and dying.
  • The anxiety or stress of trying to hold onto things that are constantly changing.
  • A basic unsatisfactoriness pervading all forms of existence, because all forms of life are changing, impermanent and without any inner core or substance.

Last edited:

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Goal?

Help protect the earth/environment.

Help others if/when they want my assistance.

Freedom to be oneself.

^ This.

To become a compassionate human being who deals with the future, not ruminating on the past or present.

To make people better humans who love other people, animals and the environment.

^ and this.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

I can't correct my typo: I meant "...who deals with the present, not ruminating on the future or past."