• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the Source of all goodness and all evil?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
No apologetics have been given, and it doesn't quite say that there which is why I said "somewhat parallel," and I doubt we have the same conception of evil.

God created everything.

Everything that comes from the source, made by the source, or actions and intentions of creations stem from one source. Even the devil was created by God and his intentions are a result of gods creation.

Lain

God created everything.

Everything that comes from the source, made by the source, or actions and intentions of creations stem from one source. Even the devil was created by God and his intentions are a result of gods creation.

Yes. God being the ultimate cause of all things is something I believe.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
No apologetics have been given, and it doesn't quite say that there which is why I said "somewhat parallel," and I doubt we have the same conception of evil.

When you know real evil, the evil that hurts and kills people then you know evil.
So whats your idea of evil?

Lain

When you know real evil, the evil that hurts and kills people then you know evil.
So whats your idea of evil?

I suppose I know it then. Evil to me is a lack of goodness, God causing evil = God removing a good from something or not giving it to something (really just two ways of saying the same thing there). When a person does He takes away the gift of living from them, or rather stops giving it to them, and they die. Same for when someone gets sick, He stops giving them wholeness and sickness ensues. In Isaiah it's speaking about that in a larger scale, when He removes unity and prosperity and victory from a society calamity, apocalypse, etc, will ensue (this kind of evil is spoken of a lot in Scripture). That's what my idea of it is. That's why I said it is right to say God doesn't "make" evil in one sense, like He made the Earth (brought it into being), but it is right to say He "makes" it in another sense, for whenever you see evil you see a removal of a good not a "bringing-into-being," or a lack of one.

We also can do this and participate in it. From there it gets more complex and is beyond my knowledge right now.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
He did not make any evil (positively, although negative causation and deprivation are causing in a separate sense), but in a sense all comes from God amen, for it says in the Scriptures: "good things and evil, life and death, poverty and riches, are from God," but in different senses for each, so that both things can be said.

What's the difference between the evil he did not make and the evil as an opposition to light and goodness?

ChristineM

Premium Member
I suppose I know it then. Evil to me is a lack of goodness, God causing evil = God removing a good from something or not giving it to something (really just two ways of saying the same thing there). When a person does He takes away the gift of living from them, or rather stops giving it to them, and they die. Same for when someone gets sick, He stops giving them wholeness and sickness ensues. In Isaiah it's speaking about that in a larger scale, when He removes unity and prosperity and victory from a society calamity, apocalypse, etc, will ensue (this kind of evil is spoken of a lot in Scripture). That's what my idea of it is. That's why I said it is right to say God doesn't "make" evil in one sense, like He made the Earth (brought it into being), but it is right to say He "makes" it in another sense, for whenever you see evil you see a removal of a good not a "bringing-into-being," or a lack of one.

We also can do this and participate in it. From there it gets more complex and is beyond my knowledge right now.

So you think an innocent child who gets leukemia and dies a horrible, painful is evil so god geve them the leukemia and revelled in their dying anguish. Oh boy am i glad I don't believe that. How could j worship a deliberate child killer?

Lain

So you think an innocent child who gets leukemia and dies a horrible, painful is evil so god geve them the leukemia and revelled in their dying anguish. Oh boy am i glad I don't believe that. How could j worship a deliberate child killer?

Revelled? I am so confused by this sentence.

I do not think that anything which exists (any person, even Satan) is evil. I simply think evil is a deprivation or lack of good. A person who gets leukemia lacks or has been deprived of good health.

Lain

What's the difference between the evil he did not make and the evil as an opposition to light and goodness?

I am not sure what you mean by this, but I think all evil is a lack of good or a deprivation of good. The two things I mentioned in the quote is that: evil doesn't have a positive existence, and God can be said to "make evil" by withholding or depriving something of a good, like if He deprived me of the good of living I would be dead immediately, or if He stopped giving me health I would fall into sickness.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I am not sure what you mean by this, but I think all evil is a lack of good or a deprivation of good. The two things I mentioned in the quote is that: evil doesn't have a positive existence, and God can be said to "make evil" by withholding or depriving something of a good, like if He deprived me of the good of living I would be dead immediately, or if He stopped giving me health I would fall into sickness.

And you worship a god who would deliberately deprive you of life or health. Ok.

Irate State

Äkta människor
1. In your belief, if one asks you, what is the foundation of all goodness and virtues, what will be your one word answer?

2. If you are asked what is the source of all sins, evils and wrongdoings, what will be your answer?

My answer for the first question is, "Truthfulness".
"Truthfulness is the foundation of all virtues" BAHA'I QUOTE

answer to the second one, in my view is:

"Desire of I am better then you". Not necessarily "Proud", as in feeling good and happy with oneself, but to compare with others and having the desire to be better than others and showing to others you are better than them.

1. Humans.

2. Humans.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Well if there is an absolute truth, I don't think us humans will ever have access to it.
So what we individually choose to accept as truth is relative to the individual.

I am not talking about truths.

You were speaking of morality. So you basically said you are a moral relativist right?

Lain

And you worship a god who would deliberately deprive you of life or health. Ok.

Yes, as Job the Righteous said in a book which is basically about this: "I myself came forth naked from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the Lord gave, the Lord has taken away: as it seemed good to the Lord, so has it come to pass; blessed be the name of the Lord... If we have received good things of the hand of the Lord, shall we not endure evil things?"

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

What's the spiritual benefit and lesson from knowing God can deprive you of something good?

What is your interpretation of being with God after death or do you believe you will be with God (perfect goodness/no evil)?

ChristineM

Premium Member
Yes, as Job the Righteous said in a book which is basically about this: "I myself came forth naked from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the Lord gave, the Lord has taken away: as it seemed good to the Lord, so has it come to pass; blessed be the name of the Lord... If we have received good things of the hand of the Lord, shall we not endure evil things?"

A matter of opinion of course, in this case based on misunderstanding of childbirth and death as understood several thousand years ago.