• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the Source of all goodness and all evil?

InvestigateTruth

1. In your belief, if one asks you, what is the foundation of all goodness and virtues, what will be your one word answer?

2. If you are asked what is the source of all sins, evils and wrongdoings, what will be your answer?

My answer for the first question is, "Truthfulness".
"Truthfulness is the foundation of all virtues" BAHA'I QUOTE

answer to the second one, in my view is:

"Desire of I am better then you". Not necessarily "Proud", as in feeling good and happy with oneself, but to compare with others and having the desire to be better than others and showing to others you are better than them.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
1. In your belief, if one asks you, what is the foundation of all goodness and virtues, what will be your one word answer?

2. If you are asked what is the source of all sins, evils and wrongdoings, what will be your answer?

"Desire of I am better then you". Not necessarily "Proud", as in feeling good and happy with oneself, but to compare with others and having the desire to be better than others and showing to others you are better than them.

For the 1st question, I see goodness and virtue as relative. We judge these things as individuals with individual reasoning and motivations.

The 2nd question, I mostly agree with your answer but caused by the 1st question. We judge what is good and virtuous and because of this find others lacking.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

1. People

2. People

Lain

1) God. "No one has anything of his own except lying and sin. But if man has any truth and justice, it is from that fountain for which we ought to thirst in this desert, that bedewed by some drops of water from it, we may not falter on the way."
2) Man (or rational beings in general who can make a knowing choice), who choose to depart from God of their own will.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
1) God. "No one has anything of his own except lying and sin. But if man has any truth and justice, it is from that fountain for which we ought to thirst in this desert, that bedewed by some drops of water from it, we may not falter on the way."
2) Man (or rational beings in general who can make a knowing choice), who choose to depart from God of their own will.

If God is the first one, it is also the second. Seeing as God created man. He created some men evil.

Lain

If God is the first one, it is also the second. Seeing as God created man. He created some men evil.

He did not make any evil (positively, although negative causation and deprivation are causing in a separate sense), but in a sense all comes from God amen, for it says in the Scriptures: "good things and evil, life and death, poverty and riches, are from God," but in different senses for each, so that both things can be said.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

My actions, benefits and consequences of those actions, lessons I learned, my values and ethics, and my inner sense of being a caring person despite my external faults.

People's actions. You can think about harming someone but your intention and action makes it bad. Just as you go to therapy and talk about X thoughts. Thoughts come and go but the therapist must know the context to know if they come and go or lead to a problem worth reporting.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
He did not make any evil (positively, although negative causation and deprivation are causing in a separate sense), but in a sense all comes from God amen, for it says in the Scriptures: "good things and evil, life and death, poverty and riches, are from God," but in different senses for each, so that both things can be said.

Isaiah 45:7 kjv

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
1) the source of goodness and virtues lies within in trying to understand for the better of self and others, and not assuming to know.

2) the source of all evil is those who seek to destroy through deception, and choose to reject after knowing what's good

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
God
Existence. I believe that evil has always existed simultaneously with God. God has been in a struggle with evil for all eternity. Evil began in this world with Adam and Eve, but that does not mean that evil did not already exist in the spiritual realm. I believe in dualism so there is an evil force that opposes God that has always been there. Just imo, I’m sure my understanding will change