• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the soul, according to the Bible?

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
It is not immortal!

(This entire site is very enlightening, and does not endorse any denomination)

"The Greek word psyche (as in psychology) has been translated many ways, including soul, life, etc. However, psyche actually means something that breathes. It is used in the Bible to describe both breathing animals and breathing humans. So by the Bible's definition, a soul cannot leave the body, because a soul is what the living body (whether human or animal) actually is (see Genesis 2:7).

In ancient Greece, philosophers eventually added another meaning to psyche: The inner person (as opposed to the person that others see and come to know). And with time, the pagan religion of Greece started to teach that this inner person is its own entity and can never die (is immortal) (please see the Wikipedia definition, 'Soul,' for more history of the word).

Unfortunately, the pagan doctrine that humans have an immortal soul (not that they are souls), began to creep into Christian teaching around the beginning of the Second Century CE, after the deaths of Jesus' Apostles. However we can see that Jesus and his Apostles never taught such a thing, for the teaching that the soul is immortal is in direct conflict with Jesus' promise of a resurrection, because if a person is immortal (can never die), he/she can never be resurrected ('stand again').

Notice that the doctrine of the immortality of the human soul is totally without support from the Bible. For the word immortal(ity) (gr. athanasia or undying) is only mentioned in the Bible in two places, and it isn't used with or applied to the word soul in either case. Both of these scriptures show that immortality is only given by God as a reward for righteousness. And as Ezekiel18:4 says, 'The person (gr. psyche or soul) that is sinning will die (gr. apothaneitai).'

Of course, there are places in the Bible where the word soul means more than just a living, fleshly body. For example, God is recorded to have spoken of 'My Soul' in several places. Obviously, God is much more than just a 'soul' as most people think of that term, and He surely wasn't talking about His having a human body. So we must conclude that what He was referring to is His inner person.

But if this is true, then why did Jesus say what he did as found at Matthew 10:28, where we read:
'Don't fear those who can kill the body,
But can't kill the person inside (gr. psyche).
Rather, fear the One who can fully discard (gr. apolesai),
The person and the body in the garbage (gr. geenne).'

What was Jesus actually saying? In this case he appears to be using the word psyche (soul) to refer to the value of life that remains with God until the resurrection. He obviously isn't referring to the soul as being immortal in this instance, because he says that God will discard or destroy the [unrighteous] soul or person."

http://www.2001translation.com/Genesis.htm#_Soul

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
It is not immortal!

"The Greek word psyche (as in psychology) has been translated many ways, including soul, life, etc. However, psyche actually means something that breathes. It is used in the Bible to describe both breathing animals and breathing humans. So by the Bible's definition, a soul cannot leave the body, because a soul is what the living body (whether human or animal) actually is (see Genesis 2:7).

In ancient Greece, philosophers eventually added another meaning to psyche: The inner person (as opposed to the person that others see and come to know). And with time, the pagan religion of Greece started to teach that this inner person is its own entity and can never die (is immortal) (please see the Wikipedia definition, 'Soul,' for more history of the word).

Unfortunately, the pagan doctrine that humans have an immortal soul (not that they are souls), began to creep into Christian teaching around the beginning of the Second Century CE, after the deaths of Jesus' Apostles. However we can see that Jesus and his Apostles never taught such a thing, for the teaching that the soul is immortal is in direct conflict with Jesus' promise of a resurrection, because if a person is immortal (can never die), he/she can never be resurrected ('stand again').

Notice that the doctrine of the immortality of the human soul is totally without support from the Bible. For the word immortal(ity) (gr. athanasia or undying) is only mentioned in the Bible in two places, and it isn't used with or applied to the word soul in either case. Both of these scriptures show that immortality is only given by God as a reward for righteousness. And as Ezekiel18:4 says, 'The person (gr. psyche or soul) that is sinning will die (gr. apothaneitai).'

Of course, there are places in the Bible where the word soul means more than just a living, fleshly body. For example, God is recorded to have spoken of 'My Soul' in several places. Obviously, God is much more than just a 'soul' as most people think of that term, and He surely wasn't talking about His having a human body. So we must conclude that what He was referring to is His inner person.

But if this is true, then why did Jesus say what he did as found at Matthew 10:28, where we read:

What was Jesus actually saying? In this case he appears to be using the word psyche (soul) to refer to the value of life that remains with God until the resurrection. He obviously isn't referring to the soul as being immortal in this instance, because he says that God will discard or destroy the [unrighteous] soul or person."

I hsvd
It is not immortal!

I have a question for you. A soul, to me, is the same as a spirit. I use the word spirit, though, instead. We are spirits and we are flesh. Who we are is made up of both.

In Christianity, since there is no soul, do Christians have spirits? If so, is it there own or the spirit of god?

For example, Christ was the Christ because he had the spirit of his father in him. I am assuming Christians are Christians because they have the spirit of Christ in them.

Not spirit as in metaphysical or "annointment" but the actual spirit of Christ is within Christians?

This would make it easy to understand why sin is viewed so harshly. It's conflicting with their spirit.

If this isn't true, how is it interpreted in scripture and please put your comments with any scriptures you quote.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
It is not immortal!
Agree in a way.
Unfortunately, the pagan doctrine that humans have an immortal soul (not that they are souls), began to creep into Christian teaching around the beginning of the Second Century CE, after the deaths of Jesus' Apostles.
It is a philosophical idea, not strictly a pagan idea from pagan temples. You use the term 'Creep' as if doctrinal worms had creeped in and eaten things. That is not what happened, but the pagan concept of resurrection did creep in. The idea of an afterlife is pagan. The idea of resurrection Jesus would have been familiar with would have been one in which good works survive, and souls are are passed on to others. (Going by the culture.)

Scripturally speaking the concept of resurrection is about the resurrection of Israel, its banishments and returns. The prophets talk about this a lot. The idea of individuals having an afterlife is not mentioned in the Torah, by the prophets and so forth. There are only a couple of very strange stories, such as the stories of Elijah; but I think that these stories are about as literal as the story of Noah.

The idea of souls passing to others becomes part of Christianity, and good works are emphasized, but the afterlife is an added concept that is not really part of Jesus plans. His resurrection is real, but it is not an 'Afterlife'. It is the life he gives to his disciples which you hopefully are continuing to live, doing good works in his name. Its like all Christians are part of a large tree, and that tree is alive. That is resurrection in Christ in the original sense. This does not in any way deny 'Resurrection' and it is the original concept of resurrection Jesus would have you believe. I think this, and he would not want Christians doting upon a selfish physical afterlife. Instead he would want his soul to continue on doing good.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Well, allow me to offer a third perspective, different from both HockeyCowboy's and Carlita's. I believe that the "soul" is the entity that results when the "spirit" (aka "the breath of life) enters a physical body, giving it life. Genesis 2:7 says, "And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. Clearly, a "breath of life" and a lifeless body both existed before the two came together. Once the breath of life was within the body God created for Adam, Adam was "a living soul." In Luke 23:46, we read of Jesus' death: "And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost." When we die, as when Jesus died, our spirit (or our breath of life) leaves our body and our body is said to be dead.

During the 3-day period of time during which Jesus' body lay in the tomb, His spirit visited the spirits of those in prison and preached His gospel to them. I don't know how a dead spirit could have done that, nor do I know how the spirits who heard Him speak would have been able to do so had they also been dead. So, I believe that the spirit, the breath of life, is eternal. It can exist either within a physical body, giving life to that body, or it can exist independently of a physical body.

I believe the words "spirit" and "soul" to have different meanings, but we find them used interchangeably in the Bible from time to time. We sometimes have to look at the context to understand the meaning of the word that was used.

moorea944

Well, I've always said that Christianity has gone astray since the org. teachings of Christ and the Apostles. And the "soul" is just one of them. A "soul" in the bible is just someone who is alive. A living, breathing frame. Nothing is said in scripture about having something "added" into a living person just as a soul or spirit. A person IS a soul. In the bible a "soul" can sleep, eat, die, cry, etc, etc. Never is the words "immortal" and "soul" found together. Soul and spirit can be written differently at times, but never something that is eternal or something that lingers on in death.

Stephen gave up his spirit.... Spirit in Greek is breath. Stephen gave up his breath. Just like Christ, he gave up his breath at death. The apostles knew that too, that's why they preached the resurrection and not heaven going.

I think people are afraid of death, they dont want to hear, when your dead your dead. They want to hear that life goes on. Even when God even says in Genesis, that you will die and go back to dust. People say NO, we live on....

The bible tells us that, in death you cannot praise God.
The living know that they will die, the dead know nothing.....

Big difference from "immortal soul", which isnt even in the bible.

Same with Spirit, it can be written different ways. Mostly breath, but sometimes, mind, way of thinking, etc.

Peter even gives an example in Acts 2 in a wonderful speech. Some people did believe in afterlives, but he tells them about David, he's just dead and buried and his grave is still with us. He didnt go to heaven.

Plus, if someone's "soul" goes somewhere in death, that would mean that you would be judged at death. Scripture tells us that we will be judged at Christ's return.
Something to think about.

Last edited:

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
I hsvd

I have a question for you. A soul, to me, is the same as a spirit. I use the word spirit, though, instead. We are spirits and we are flesh. Who we are is made up of both.

In Christianity, since there is no soul, do Christians have spirits? If so, is it there own or the spirit of god?

For example, Christ was the Christ because he had the spirit of his father in him. I am assuming Christians are Christians because they have the spirit of Christ in them.

Not spirit as in metaphysical or "annointment" but the actual spirit of Christ is within Christians?

This would make it easy to understand why sin is viewed so harshly. It's conflicting with their spirit.

If this isn't true, how is it interpreted in scripture and please put your comments with any scriptures you quote.

Hey, Carlita, hope you are well!

Yes, many agree with you, even many christians...they feel that the soul and spirit are the same. I was just saying what the soul is, according to the Bible. The Bible does indicate a difference between the two. Whereas the Bible says Adam "became" a living soul (that is, he was a soul, he wasn't given, or had, one -- Genesis 2:7), and that 'the soul dies' at Ezekiel 18:4; the spirit, on the other hand, leaves the body at death, according to Psalms 146:3-4. (You probably won't find many professed Christians who will actually agree with that...most have been influenced by Ancient Greek teachings of Plato.)

The spirit is the life-force, keeping us alive. Without it, we die. Sort of like electricity, that makes a stereo work. Unplug it, and it's just a box! The Hebrew and Greek words for spirit, are 'ruah' and 'pneuma', respectively. They simply mean, "breath", or "wind". There's no personality, there.

Source to read:
https://en.m.wikibooks.org/wiki/Hebrew_Roots/Trinity/Holy_Spirit
(At least, the first couple paragraphs; I don't think this link is promoting the Trinity, I certainly don't believe in that!)

As far as "having the spirit of Christ" goes: in playing a game, you can say to someone on the team who's not really into playing, "Come on! Get into the spirit of it!" They're really saying, "Get involved!" And, speaking for Christians, so should we. (See John 4:23-24)

Something to consider: Jesus taught the Resurrection (John 5:28-29) would occur "in the last day" (John 6:44), a future time to come. Now, I know this may go against what you believe -- indeed, what many Christians believe -- but if a person, at death, goes on living somewhere, like in Heaven (or somewhere else, ahem), then how could they be resurrected, i.e., stand back to life again, if they're already alive? If the dead really are alive somewhere, then why did Jesus say that Lazarus was "sleeping"? (John 11:11-14) And that thought pervades the Bible....with Stephen's martyrdom in Acts, Paul's writings, and Peter's. -- See also Ecclesiastes 9:5, Psalms 146:3-4 mentioned above.

I hope I've answered your questions! Take care, and may Jehovah give you peace.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Agree in a way.

It is a philosophical idea, not strictly a pagan idea from pagan temples. You use the term 'Creep' as if doctrinal worms had creeped in and eaten things. That is not what happened, but the pagan concept of resurrection did creep in. The idea of an afterlife is pagan. The idea of resurrection Jesus would have been familiar with would have been one in which good works survive, and souls are are passed on to others. (Going by the culture.)

Scripturally speaking the concept of resurrection is about the resurrection of Israel, its banishments and returns. The prophets talk about this a lot. The idea of individuals having an afterlife is not mentioned in the Torah, by the prophets and so forth. There are only a couple of very strange stories, such as the stories of Elijah; but I think that these stories are about as literal as the story of Noah.

The idea of souls passing to others becomes part of Christianity, and good works are emphasized, but the afterlife is an added concept that is not really part of Jesus plans. His resurrection is real, but it is not an 'Afterlife'. It is the life he gives to his disciples which you hopefully are continuing to live, doing good works in his name. Its like all Christians are part of a large tree, and that tree is alive. That is resurrection in Christ in the original sense. This does not in any way deny 'Resurrection' and it is the original concept of resurrection Jesus would have you believe. I think this, and he would not want Christians doting upon a selfish physical afterlife. Instead he would want his soul to continue on doing good.

I appreciate your perspective, Brick!

One Scripture that might get you thinking about a physical resurrection, are Jesus' words at John 5:28-29. He says there that the dead "will come out from the memorial tombs", literal graves. Not come out of Heaven, or hell, but from the tombs. Also, please take a gander at Daniel 12:2-13 (?), talking of those "asleep in the dust of the ground". And Daniel would 'go to rest,' but then stand up later, at the end of the days.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
I appreciate your perspective, Brick!

One Scripture that might get you thinking about a physical resurrection, are Jesus' words at John 5:28-29. He says there that the dead "will come out from the memorial tombs", literal graves. Not come out of Heaven, or hell, but from the tombs. Also, please take a gander at Daniel 12:2-13 (?), talking of those "asleep in the dust of the ground". And Daniel would 'go to rest,' but then stand up later, at the end of the days.
I realize it doesn't immediately appear related to 'Soul', but the idea of afterlife has some impact on the subject. I am aware of those verses and still think that the afterlife is bunk and is not an idea Jesus would seriously entertain. (I also don't think the Christian afterlife idea directly compares with pagan ideas of the afterlife and am not saying that it does. It merely come indirectly from that.) As with most Christians you can tell what variety of Christian I am by my view of Revelation. Daniel is an apocalyptic work just as Revelation is. Its so unfortunate to say this, but a person's view of Revelation is like a thumbprint of their Christian beliefs, and we who are of protestant stock invest a lot of time in developing whole systems of beliefs. There's no way that today on a lark I'm going to adopt an entirely different system and suddenly agree about there being an individualist resurrection of each person, but I appreciate that you are willing to share your ideas. I think though that convincing other people of things just never happens. Conversion doesn't work through conversations about ideas. I used to think that was unfortunate, but now I accept that conversion should be a matter of the heart. I'm perfectly willing to disagree with another believer.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
I realize it doesn't immediately appear related to 'Soul', but the idea of afterlife has some impact on the subject. I am aware of those verses and still think that the afterlife is bunk and is not an idea Jesus would seriously entertain. (I also don't think the Christian afterlife idea directly compares with pagan ideas of the afterlife and am not saying that it does. It merely come indirectly from that.) As with most Christians you can tell what variety of Christian I am by my view of Revelation. Daniel is an apocalyptic work just as Revelation is. Its so unfortunate to say this, but a person's view of Revelation is like a thumbprint of their Christian beliefs, and we who are of protestant stock invest a lot of time in developing whole systems of beliefs. There's no way that today on a lark I'm going to adopt an entirely different system and suddenly agree about there being an individualist resurrection of each person, but I appreciate that you are willing to share your ideas. I think though that convincing other people of things just never happens. Conversion doesn't work through conversations about ideas. I used to think that was unfortunate, but now I accept that conversion should be a matter of the heart. I'm perfectly willing to disagree with another believer.

"Conversion should be a matter of the heart." I couldn't agree more! One must be genuinely convinced.

That usually comes from using the mind and deeply reasoning on the subject, based on evidence. For a Christian, the evidence is what the Bible teaches thruout its context. You may not believe this, but in discerning what the Bible really teaches, a person will find only harmony thruout it's pages....and any seeming contradictions are just that, seeming.

For one quick example, the Bible says the 'earth will be burned up with fire' (2 Peter 3:10). People take that to mean the planet. But that directly contradicts Ecclesiastes 1:4, "the earth abideth forever." Contradiction? No, not when properly understood.
Genesis 11:1 says "the earth was of one language". That's referring to the society of people, not the planet. So, society "will be burned up with fire?" Well, the fire isn't literal, as seen from Revelation 20:13-14...."death was hurled into the Lake of Fire"??

How can you 'burn' an intangible thing like death? You can't. What does it mean, then? When you burn something up, you ain't getting it back, it's gone forever! Is that what happens to death? Yes. Revelation 21:3-4 says "death will be no more."

So, fire can be symbolic for "complete destruction!" Really, it's saying the present godless society ( = the "former earth") with all its wickedness will be gone forever, while a new society ( = the "new earth") will take its place.

You might say, "Well, why doesn't the Bible just say that, then?"

Because, the Bible's understanding is hidden from some people, to determine what's in their heart! -- Luke 10:21

This isn't anything I've come up with on my own, I was taught this.

The Bible is full of teachings that are different from much of Christendom.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
"Conversion should be a matter of the heart." I couldn't agree more! One must be genuinely convinced.
This is not what I mean. I mean that people do not listen like you would wish and do not even hear what you say or understand your perspective, just like you have just now not understood me. Until you yourself conceive of the idea there is no transference, no communication. Its like the idea has to already be in you, and the same idea in me communicates with its twin in you.

That usually comes from using the mind and deeply reasoning on the subject, based on evidence. For a Christian, the evidence is what the Bible teaches thruout its context. You may not believe this, but in discerning what the Bible really teaches, a person will find only harmony thruout it's pages....and any seeming contradictions are just that, seeming.
I think that is probably not really how things work.
For one quick example, the Bible says the 'earth will be burned up with fire' (2 Peter 3:10). People take that to mean the planet. But that directly contradicts Ecclesiastes 1:4, "the earth abideth forever." Contradiction? No, not when properly understood.
Genesis 11:1 says "the earth was of one language". That's referring to the society of people, not the planet. So, society "will be burned up with fire?" Well, the fire isn't literal, as seen from Revelation 20:13-14...."death was hurled into the Lake of Fire"??

How can you 'burn' an intangible thing like death? You can't. What does it mean, then? When you burn something up, you ain't getting it back, it's gone forever! Is that what happens to death? Yes. Revelation 21:3-4 says "death will be no more."

So, fire can be symbolic for "complete destruction!" Really, it's saying the present godless society ( = the "former earth") with all its wickedness will be gone forever, while a new society ( = the "new earth") will take its place.

You might say, "Well, why doesn't the Bible just say that, then?"

Because, the Bible's understanding is hidden from some people, to determine what's in their heart! -- Luke 10:21

This isn't anything I've come up with on my own, I was taught this.

The Bible is full of teachings that are different from much of Christendom.
I don't disagree that there are teachings that are misunderstood, misdirected etc. The #1 teaching that gets ignored is the teaching of communion that no one should be denied communion. Anyone who takes communion while excluding others is not taking communion with Christ but against Christ, and I can confirm that this teaching is very rarely followed. People commune with those with whom it is most convenient and who seem righteous, mentally stable, not moochers, friendly and so forth. Very few keep this commandment to commune, so I understand what you mean by that example.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Well, I've always said that Christianity has gone astray since the org. teachings of Christ and the Apostles. And the "soul" is just one of them. A "soul" in the bible is just someone who is alive. A living, breathing frame.
Yeah, gone astray but since re-established. Your definition of "soul" is exactly the same as mine (Mormon) is.

kalyan

Aspiring Sri VaishNava
According to the Bible a soul is capable of:
Hunger – Proverbs 19:15
Satisfied with food – Lamentations 1:11-19
Touching material objects – Leviticus 5:2
Of going into the grave (!) – Job 33:22+28
Of coming out of it – Psalm 30:3

“The soul that sinneth, it shall die…” Ezekiel 18:20
Only in Hinduism/ Vaidika dharma, atma (which btw is not soul, but equated to soul wrongly ) is immortal and eternal ...........I do not expect bible to point out the complex stuff anyways....Its weak

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

Interesting.....this Rabbi answers a question on "the difference between spirit, soul, and neshama, according to the kabbala, and how long does the spirit or soul linger after death?

The Rabbi answers.....

"A soul is like a chain with one end linked into the brain and the other to a certain spiritual source. There are five levels of the soul like the five links in a chain, each one parallel to the spiritual sphere where it exists. However, we only relate to the three bottom links as we have no understanding about the two top ones. The three are 1) Nefesh 2) Ruach 3) Neshama. The nefesh is the spiritual existence which resides in the body and keeps the physical metabolism working and the person alive. The ruach is a connection between the neshama and the nefesh. It is the cause of feelings and personal qualities. The neshama is the spiritual existence which pulls the man towards G-d, to the performance of good deeds, to be pious and humble and to seek knowledge and achievement in spiritual fields. It resides around the head.

When a person dies, it takes seven days before the parts of the soul understand that it's all over and leave the body. Until then they hover around the grave and travel to and fro between the grave and the house of the deceased, waiting for the body to start functioning again. The nefesh does not completely leave until the body is decomposed."

I am wondering why there is not a single scripture cited in his explanation....more than likely because there is no scriptural support for this "explanation".
The last part sounds like a horror movie plot.....Who makes up this stuff? o_O

Jedster

Interesting.....this Rabbi answers a question on "the difference between spirit, soul, and neshama, according to the kabbala, and how long does the spirit or soul linger after death?

The Rabbi answers.....

"A soul is like a chain with one end linked into the brain and the other to a certain spiritual source. There are five levels of the soul like the five links in a chain, each one parallel to the spiritual sphere where it exists. However, we only relate to the three bottom links as we have no understanding about the two top ones. The three are 1) Nefesh 2) Ruach 3) Neshama. The nefesh is the spiritual existence which resides in the body and keeps the physical metabolism working and the person alive. The ruach is a connection between the neshama and the nefesh. It is the cause of feelings and personal qualities. The neshama is the spiritual existence which pulls the man towards G-d, to the performance of good deeds, to be pious and humble and to seek knowledge and achievement in spiritual fields. It resides around the head.

When a person dies, it takes seven days before the parts of the soul understand that it's all over and leave the body. Until then they hover around the grave and travel to and fro between the grave and the house of the deceased, waiting for the body to start functioning again. The nefesh does not completely leave until the body is decomposed."

I am wondering why there is not a single scripture cited in his explanation....more than likely because there is no scriptural support for this "explanation".
The last part sounds like a horror movie plot.....Who makes up this stuff? o_O

Nothing wrong with a good horror movie :)
I should mention that I only put up that link because I noticed no Jewish person had answered, so I googled it.
Having said that, here is a deeper explanation that does mention scripture; if you are not satisfied with that, I am sure the site will be happy to answer you further. (I just googled 'levels of soul').

http://www.chabad.org/kabbalah/article_cdo/aid/380651/jewish/Levels-of-Soul-Consciousness.htm

Last edited:

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"The Greek word psyche (as in psychology) has been translated many ways, including soul, life, etc. However, psyche actually means something that breathes.
This is absolutely false. First, it is the term pneuma that can mean something like breath or "thing that breathes", not psyche.
Second, here's the definition of psyche in the most authoritative Greek lexicon available in English:
ψῡχ-ή, ἡ, life, λύθη ψ. τε μένος τε Il.5.296, etc.; ψ. τε καὶ αἰών 16.453, cf. Od.9.523; θυμοῦ καὶ ψ. Il.11.334, Od.21.154; λαυκανίην, ἵνα τε ψυχῆς ὤκιστος ὄλεθρος Il.22.325; ψυχὰς παρθέμενοι at hazard of their lives, Od.3.74,9.255; αἰεὶ ἐμὴν ψ. παραβαλλόμενος Il.9.322; λίσσου’ ὑπὲρ ψ. καὶ γούνων by your life, 22.338; so ἀντὶ ψ. S.OC1326: but περὶ ψ. to save their life, Od.9.423; περί τε ψυχέων ἐμάχοντο 22.245; περὶ ψ. θέον Ἕκτορος Il.22.161; τρέχων περὶ τῆς ψ. Hdt.9.37; τῆς ἐμῆς περὶ ψ. A.Eu.115, cf. E.Hel.946, Heracl.984; περὶ ψ. κινδυνεύων Antipho 2.1.4, cf. Th. 8.50; ἁγὼν . . σῆς ψ. πέρι S.El.1492, cf. E.Ph.1330, Or.847, X.Cyr.3.3.44; τὸν περὶ ψ. δρόμον δραμεῖν Ar.V.375 (lyr.)...
So by the Bible's definition, a soul cannot leave the body
The bible was written mostly in Hebrew, not Greek.

In ancient Greece, philosophers eventually added another meaning to psyche
No, they didn't.

Unfortunately, the pagan doctrine that humans have an immortal soul (not that they are souls), began to creep into Christian teaching around the beginning of the Second Century CE
It existed in Jewish circles prior to the first century, and in Christian circles from the beginning. The question wasn't whether or not the soul was immortal (it clearly was) but what its relation was (other than identity) to the body, as immortality in both Christian and Jewish circles at this time tended to be understood in terms of bodily resurrection.
However we can see that Jesus and his Apostles never taught such a thing, for the teaching that the soul is immortal is in direct conflict with Jesus' promise of a resurrection, because if a person is immortal (can never die), he/she can never be resurrected ('stand again').
Nonsense. In NO theory of the soul's immortality in antiquity did this involve a claim that it would be impossible for an individual to be resurrected from death because of an immortal soul.

Notice that the doctrine of the immortality of the human soul is totally without support from the Bible.
It isn't. And to the extent it is, so is resurrection.
For the word immortal(ity) (gr. athanasia or undying)
athanasia means "deathless" and tends to refer to the ἀθάνατοι, the immortals or "gods".

is only mentioned in the Bible in two places
Because the Bible wasn't written in classical Greek.

And as Ezekiel18:4 says, 'The person (gr. psyche or soul) that is sinning will die (gr. apothaneitai).'
Why use the language into which Ezekiel was translated?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Nothing wrong with a good horror movie :)
I should mention that I only put up that link because I noticed no Jewish person had answered, so I googled it.
Having said that, here is a deeper explanation that does mention scripture; if you are not satisfied with that, I am sure the site will be happy to answer you further. (I just googled 'levels of soul').

http://www.chabad.org/kabbalah/article_cdo/aid/380651/jewish/Levels-of-Soul-Consciousness.htm

LOL...."a deeper explanation"? o_O Or just more of the same made up stuff? There are no "levels"...just life and death...that's it. Eccl 9:5, 6, 10, basically cancels all that rubbish out.
David too sealed it in Psalm 146:4...no thinking in the grave.

Jedster

LOL...."a deeper explanation"? o_O Or just more of the same made up stuff? There are no "levels"...just life and death...that's it. Eccl 9:5, 6, 10, basically cancels all that rubbish out.
David too sealed it in Psalm 146:4...no thinking in the grave.
Wow, you have the answers.
I have no axe to grind, maybe a practising Jew will answer you.