• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the silliest proselytizing line you've heard?

cardero

Citizen Mod
I have checked the thread and I do not see my answer here but I will have to go with the line that some religions use about how their religions/BIBLE has been around (for so many years) and that they cannot possibly be mistaken if their doctrines have survived or persevered in all those years.

I for one have never associated quality with quantity. It concerns me in other ways because what this person is eventually confessing to me is that through their faith they may not have any desire to keep an open mind or to continue in their efforts to seek their TRUTHs.

Voxton

·
The silliest proselytizing line I've heard, is whenever a Christian resorts to anger and threats of violence during a debate. If you're proselytizing on behalf of a vengeful god who believes in human sacrifice and "might is right," I could follow your line of logic, but you try to sell "turn the other cheek," love and compassion -- or else, or else we'll kick your face in, you've kinda lost me.

It's like Smykowski from Office Space: "Well -- well, look, I already told you: I deal with the godd*mn customers so the engineers don't have to. I have people skills; I am good at dealing with people. Can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people?!"

I guess they can't help it -- the fundamental principle that God loves you and will award you with eternal bliss if you accept Him, but if you don't, you'll go to hell for eternity -- that's a pretty psychopatic stance, after all. It's like demanding love and devotion, at knifepoint.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Melody said:
Catholic is not necessarily a Christian although a Christian might also be a Catholic...
Where on earth did that Idea come from? Had Catholics and Orthodox had not existed. there would be no protestants today.The bible as we know it would not exist.and fledgling Christanity might not have survived.
If you were to say not all Christians lead a Christian life, I would agree with you, but I would put no more Catholics in that bracket than any other Christian group.

Terry

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I guess I have been lucky; no one has tried hard to 'convert me' - but once it happened to a friend of mine.

He was in hospital, in quite a large ward; a priest came in one day, and went from bed to bed. When he got to my friend's bed, the first question was "Are you a catholic, My son ?"
to which my friend answered "No, I do not belong to any Church"............
To which the priest replied "In that case, I can't talk to you - unless, of course youwould be prepared to become a Catholic".............

I thought twice (or more) about puting that one in, because I realize, of course, that the Priest was perhaps representing his Religion in a way that had room for improvement - and the last impression I wish to give is that I believe all Catholic Priests are like that........

So PLEASE Catholics on this forum, take no offence; the priest was misguided in his approach - and I realize that it is no reflection on the faith.:)

Original Freak

I am the ORIGINAL Freak
This is close to on topic....My wife attended an odd little fundamental church for about a month. She came home and told me about the sermine. The preacher guy was going on about tattooing and peircing and how it was wrong and people did it only in vanity and for attention. Everyone in the church was praising Jesus and halleluahing heads all nodding yes, not even realising the hypocrasy as their earing jingled and their rings reflected the light from their raised hands.

God loves you, so you're going to hell.

"If you're walking on a beach and you see a watch..." I'm sure you know the rest.

I'm sure there's more, I'll try to keep thinking about it.

A

angellous_evangellous

Sunstone said:
I can think of two that struck me as especially silly:

(1) "The bottom line is that more people have died for Christianity than for any other cause in the history of the world"

He didn't mean, I suppose, that Christianity killed more people in the Western world than any other religion. :no: :cover:

(2) "I checked all the religions in the world and only Christianity claims to have the Truth."

That's a commendable amount of research.:eek:

Booko

Deviled Hen
doppelgänger said:
Take your pick: www.chick.com

This is the guy that produces those nasty little comic-book tracts you sometimes find at gas stations and public restrooms.

Haha...first I thought "Oh, thread necromancy!"

And then the next thing I thought of was...Jack Chick.

I collect his stuff in my "HOHO" file.

And I've always thought that restrooms were precisely where they belonged. :sarcastic

Ozzie

Doorknock Christians: "Hi! Were just stopping by to make sure everything is Ok".

Me: *puzzled look*, " Er, yes everything is Ok thanks".

Doorknock Christians: " Are you sure? Can we speak to your wife? "

Oz

ChrisP

Veteran Member
*cough* /looks at date of first post

Thread Necro

"Hi there!"

"Hi"

"Do you agree with war?"

"No... and I don't agree with people bothering me in my home either."

You really really really don't want to come doorknocking at my place. My parents church sees a lot of Americans from Tennesee come through here to be "missionaries" :rolleyes:. I sat down and had a chat to a younger, less inhibited fella with the intention of finding out how his day was, and ended up getting a top 50 ways to spook a door knocker.

The stuff they hear/see!

robtex

Veteran Member
aplogetic: "Have you ever lied before?

Rob: Yes

Apologetic "That makes you a .....

Rob: liar?

Apologetic: Have you ever stolen before?

Rob: When I was 15...

Apologetic: That makes you a ....

Rob: thief ?

Apologetic: Have you ever sinned before?

Rob: No.

Apologetic (looking confused) ...but you just said you lied and stole.

Rob: Yes but well that was against my fellow man. One can only sin against a God and for that to happen a God would have to exist. (drum roll).....

eudaimonia

Fellowship of Reason
Sunstone said:
What's the silliest line you've heard? I don't mean to limit this to just Christianity.

Any form of Pascal's Wager. But maybe I mention this because the argument is so overused.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
doppelgänger said:
Take your pick: www.chick.com

This is the guy that produces those nasty little comic-book tracts you sometimes find at gas stations and public restrooms.
Oh my...

I just picked at random a Hallowe'en one called The Trick. I wish I hadn't...

BFD_Zayl

"join or you shall be damned" oh wait, no, thats the most common one...ehh....the silliest one would have to be "if you join our devout order and learn the ways of (no name used to avoid offense) and pledge yourself to our cause, we will give you this gift basket which has a t-shirt, soaps, and a fruit of the month membership card" i was shocked when he said this, and my left eye began to twitch...which only happens if i am extremly angry, but instead of anger i bust out laughing the big 'ole belly laughs and doubled over....needless to say the guy went away.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
there's a t-shirt going round the Christian union at Uni, it's a black t-shirt with pretty bright green writing!

"would you let someone die for you?
well someone already has... Jesus."

i giggle every time i see that t-shirt, not because of it's message, but because i always read it in a sarcastic, patronizing voice - which makes me giggle anyway :D