• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the Religious Significance of the Great Flood Story?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
For the sake of this thread, forget the question of whether the Great Flood really happened or not. Instead, what was the religious significance, if any, of the Great Flood? What does it mean?

ninerbuff

godless wonder
That's easy. Practically all stories that relate about the great flood revolve around:

1. an angry god(s)
2. a good follower
3. flood to punish or kill those who the god(s) are angry at
4. repopulation with the chosen follower

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Do what God says or He'll smite you. God is so powerful He will not hesitate at smiting everyone.

Also: This explains some things about the natural world.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
What is the significance of the covenant god makes with Noah? How does that shape the meaning of the story?

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I think religious mythology reflects inner needs and longings. I associate drowning and being underwater with unconsciousness. To my mind the flood story speaks to a need I have to raise my consciousness and it suggests that engaging with a God myth is a path which might achieve this.

Eliot Wild

Irreverent Agnostic Jerk
The flood story indicates that God has power over life and death when it comes to mankind. We cannot defy God without consequences, perhaps world-wide consquences.

It also symbolizes God's mercy, believe it or not. How?, you might ask . . . Because Noah was the only 'good' man on the planet, according to the story, so he was spared because he had God's favor for being an okay guy.

It also indicates God's allowance for redemption. God saved the animals and allowed the waters to recede, thereby giving mankind, through Noah's family,another chance at life.

It also indicates God's love of righteousness and his inability to tolerate wickedness. Remember, mankind brought on the flood themselves with their evil, cruel, lustful and greedy ways. We deserved to drown because God could not stand the sight of us, being as sinful as we were.

And finally, it pretty much indicates that God is a homicidal maniac because we know that the little-bitty babies who died in the flood couldn't have been THAT wicked. But I don't think I was supposed to mention that part.

Ehhh, that's all I got for now.

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
I've always viewed one of the lessons of the flood story as "Sometimes you have to do what you know is right, no matter what others think." The people of Noah's time mocked him and said he was crazy for building that ship, but he knew what he needed to accomplish to save his family. There is also a "grasshopper and the ant" sort of thing going on with that tale.

Skwim

Veteran Member
That's easy. Practically all stories that relate about the great flood revolve around:

1. an angry god(s)
2. a good follower
3. flood to punish or kill those who the god(s) are angry at
4. repopulation with the chosen follower
3. flood to punish or kill those who the god(s) are angry at and many he wasn't.

Kilgore Trout said:
Rainbows can signify either genocide or homosexuality.
:D and
icon14.gif

Eliot Wild said:
The flood story indicates that God has power over life and death when it comes to mankind. We cannot defy God without consequences, perhaps world-wide consquences.
And we don't even have to defy him to receive world-wide consequences. Just be around enough people who do.

It also symbolizes God's mercy, believe it or not. How?, you might ask . . . Because Noah was the only 'good' man on the planet, according to the story, so he was spared because he had God's favor for being an okay guy.
'Cause as we all know, even the newborn were spawn of the devil.

It also indicates God's allowance for redemption. God saved the animals and allowed the waters to recede, thereby giving mankind, through Noah's family,another chance at life.
*sigh*

It also indicates God's love of righteousness and his inability to tolerate wickedness.
So god couldn't tolerate the wickedness that went on for the 1,650 years since he created the Earth, but has tolerated it for 4,300 years that followed. I agree though, letting us all wallow in wickedness while we wait for his reappearance to again try to put an end to it is the righteous thing to do.

Remember, mankind brought on the flood themselves with their evil, cruel, lustful and greedy ways. We deserved to drown because God could not stand the sight of us, being as sinful as we were.
But evidently he has no trouble standing the sight of us today, being as sinful as we are. Hmmm.

And finally, it pretty much indicates that God is a homicidal maniac because we know that the little-bitty babies who died in the flood couldn't have been THAT wicked. But I don't think I was supposed to mention that part.
Yes! Yes! You were, you were. Say it again. God is a homicidal maniac because he killed the little-bitty babies.

Last edited:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
For the sake of this thread, forget the question of whether the Great Flood really happened or not. Instead, what was the religious significance, if any, of the Great Flood? What does it mean?

I have starting supposing that this was the beginning of the separation between humans and God. :)