• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the relationship between Brahman, Paramatma, and Ishvara?

What is the relationship between Brahman, Paramatma, Ishvara?

• They are all different

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neither

• Both

• I don't know

• I don't like the question

• Total voters

Kalibhakta

Jai Maha Kali Ma!
Brahman is the impersonal god that is the source of all things.
Paramatma is Brahman as the source of all souls.
Ishvara, as I understand it, is God as the Westerners understand it, Brahman with a personality.

Gambit

Brahman is the impersonal god that is the source of all things.
Paramatma is Brahman as the source of all souls.
Ishvara, as I understand it, is God as the Westerners understand it, Brahman with a personality.

I like it, but there's one problem. "Paramatma" literally means the "self beyond." So, let me rework your response: Brahman is the impersonal aspect of the Godhead, Ishvara is the personal aspect of the Godhead, and Paramatma is the transpersonal aspect of the Godhead. (Of, course these three are one.)

Kalibhakta

Jai Maha Kali Ma!
I like it, but there's one problem. "Paramatma" literally means the "self beyond." So, let me rework your response: Brahman is the impersonal aspect of the Godhead, Ishvara is the personal aspect of the Godhead, and Paramatma is the transpersonal aspect of the Godhead. (Of, course these three are one.)
I suppose so. Ishvara is most important to a Bhakti. I am a bit rusty on my Vedanta.