• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the rationale for your belief in the existence of a superfluous God?

Gambit

What is the rationale for your belief in the existence of a superfluous God? Any "believer" who believes that God is not metaphysically necessary believes God is superfluous by default. That is, he or she believes that God is not needed to explain anything whatsoever. So, if you are one of these believers, please explain to me your rationale for believing in the existence of God. Because it would appear to me that your belief is completely irrational.

By the way, I know that there are more than a few "believers" on this forum who do not believe that God is metaphysically necessary. How do I know this? Because they have placed themselves on record by participating in a poll on my thread entitled "Is God's existence necessary?"

Last edited:

Erebus

What is the rationale for your belief in the existence of a superfluous God? Any "believer" who believes that God is not metaphysically necessary believes God is superfluous by default. That is, he or she believes that God is not needed to explain anything whatsoever. So, if you are one of these believers, please explain to me your rationale for believing in the existence of God. Because it would appear to me that your belief is completely irrational.

By the way, I know that there are more than a few "believers" on this forum who do not believe that God is metaphysically necessary. How do I know this? Because they have placed themselves on record by participating in a poll on my thread entitled "Is God's existence necessary?"

Let's flip this around a little. Would you prefer those believers to hold that their god is necessary?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not a believer, but the title of this thread seems quite loaded to me. It is basically saying, "If you know you are irrational, why are you irrational?" (Irrational from your viewpoint, that is.)

Personally, I view some god concepts like works of art: we don't need them for basic survival, but they make our lives more beautiful and intriguing, in addition to being sources of inspiration for us. If something has such a positive effect on your life and doesn't cause any harm, then why not go for it by all means?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
As a pantheist, I don't think I am the type that you are asking to hear from.

But I see confusion headed for this thread based on differences over what is meant by the term 'metaphysically necessary'.

It seems to me like the OP is saying that something beyond the physical must exist for the physical to exist (but to call this God has too many cultural connotations).

Maybe some further clarification??

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Any "believer" who believes that God is not metaphysically necessary believes God is superfluous by default.

Sorry, but that doesn't logically follow. There are reasons for deifying things other than for metaphysical purposes, which means rejecting the metaphysical reasons does not equate to superfluousness.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member

Our existence isn't necessary either. Very little is, really. My Gods are just as required by the universe as I am, which is to say, they could disappear and reality would be unchanged. Just like you or myself.

atpollard

What if I don't believe that God is superfluous?
What if God is both physical and metaphysical?
What if those parts of his nature are part of what makes Him God (and me not god)?

... I guess that I should just keep it to myself.
Sorry, the question confused me.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss

This sounds to me like nothing but a flame baiting...
"if you think god is not necessary then you think god is unnecessary by default."
Nothing but double talk worded to insult....

leibowde84

Veteran Member

I don't see God's existence as metaphysically necessary. But, that is why I have "faith" or "believe" in the existence of God, rather than "know" that God "must" exist. Imho, those who claim that God is absolutely necessary or "know" that God exists are either being dishonest with themselves and/or others. Science is not even close to being developed enough to make such leaps/assumptions. But, my faith is based on my personal experiences with the divine, and that is not relevant here.

Kelly of the Phoenix

I recall saying that technically I don't think God is necessary, while still being a believer. On the other hand, as was mentioned earlier, we aren't really necessary either (if our species is wiped out, Earth will simply move on to something else). My belief nor (O)ne's necessity are relevant to (O)ne's existence.

Gambit

Let's flip this around a little. Would you prefer those believers to hold that their god is necessary?

I prefer that they furnish me with their rationale for why they believe in a God who is completely superfluous.

Last edited:

Erebus

I prefer that they furnishes me with their rationale for why they believe in a God who is completely superfluous.

Right. That tells me enough.

For what it's worth, I voted "I don't know" in that other thread.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I prefer that they furnishes me with their rationale for why they believe in a God who is completely superfluous.
Faith is believing/trusting that something is the case without the sufficient evidence or reasoning required to "know" that it is.