• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the purpose of religion?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
What is the purpose of religion or your world view?

To get us started, I share one of the purposes of the Baha'i Faith:

Religion, writes Bahá’u’lláh, is “the chief instrument for the establishment of order in the world, and of tranquillity amongst its peoples.

“Is not the object of every Revelation,” He asks, “to effect a transformation in the whole character of mankind, a transformation that shall manifest itself, both outwardly and inwardly, that shall affect both its inner life and external conditions?

The Purpose of Religion | What Bahá’ís Believe

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Seems to me there are many purposes of religions, and that they might vary somewhat between religions.

One purpose, for instance, found in many religions, is to provide some sort of guide and encouragement to human spiritual development. Another purpose, found in most major religions, is to legitimatize and support the existing social order, thus providing political and social stability -- often at the cost of individual spiritual, political, and social liberty. And there are many other purposes too.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Religion, writes Bahá’u’lláh, is “the chief instrument for the establishment of order in the world, and of tranquillity amongst its peoples.
The establishment of order in the tribe, quite possibly. The record for order in the world is far from convincing.

There must be thousands of thoughtful (and millions of other) works on the purposes of religion. One may be to account for natural phenomena like sun, moon, night, seasons, weather, luck (not least the luck of the suitor, the hunter and the fisher), and so on.

And you may be aware of the psych experiments both with children and adults, that show individuals are routinely more honest when they think they might be being watched. I recall one on TV with kids around five, who were told (one at a time) to go into a room and not to eat the biscuits till someone came, When they were also told there was a friendly invisible fairy in the room, they strongly tended to leave the biscuits. When they were not, many more of them were tempted to try their luck. Adults are much the same.

I've also read that a common stock of tribal / cultural stories and practices builds a sense of common identity and solidarity. That doesn't sound silly either.

So that would support the idea that religion helps promote order; and I'd guess the evolutionary purpose of religion was along those lines.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Q... What is the purpose of religion?

A....IMO

1. It serves to comfort the believer.

2. It serves to answer questions about the larger aspects of life.

3. It serves as a social community.

4. It serves as a respite from deliberation.

5. It serves as permission for otherwise unacceptable behavior.

6. It serves as a control for those who wish to control others.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Seems to me there are many purposes of religions, and that they might vary somewhat between religions.

One purpose, for instance, found in many religions, is to provide some sort of guide and encouragement to human spiritual development. Another purpose, found in most major religions, is to legitimatize and support the existing social order, thus providing political and social stability -- often at the cost of individual spiritual, political, and social liberty. And there are many other purposes too.

Spoken as one who has reflected on religion a great deal of the years, who no doubt values individual freedom over comforming to established norms.

It sounds as if religion could be a 'good' thing, but the sacrifice to personal liverty too great?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Q... What is the purpose of religion?

A....IMO

1. It serves to comfort the believer.

2. It serves to answer questions about the larger aspects of life.

3. It serves as a social community.

4. It serves as a respite from deliberation.

5. It serves as permission for otherwise unacceptable behavior.

6. It serves as a control for those who wish to control others.

Spoken as a true skeptic and cynic, but still able to see some positives regardless. Having read a few of your posts over the last months would expect no less.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Spoken as one who has reflected on religion a great deal of the years, who no doubt values individual freedom over comforming to established norms.

It sounds as if religion could be a 'good' thing, but the sacrifice to personal liverty too great?

If there is no personal liberty within the normal associated bounds of humanity, - then you are a slave.

Plus I don't know how good religions of the past are, when they held their position by abuse, enslavement, torture, murder, wars, etc.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
If there is no personal liberty within the normal associated bounds of humanity, - then you are a slave.

That is true. On the other hand personal liberty at times needs to be sacrificed for the greater good. Thats why all communities dependant to some degree on law and order. One's actions can harm another of course.

Plus I don't know how good religions of the past are, when they held their position by abuse, enslavement, torture, murder, wars, etc.

History can be a stern judge that highlights all the evils committed by members of religion as you mention. Religion has inspired people to achieve great good too.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Two obvious purposes of religion that I overlooked in my previous post.

One is luck with birth, and the fertility of one's animals and plants generally.

And death. Humans, some other primates, elephants and dolphins, some birds, even some reptiles (lizards) all grieve at particular deaths, partners and tribal alphas in particular. In humans, death is central to countless tales, often the motive for or climax of the drama, and leads onto memories, dreams and ghosts, whence I dare say afterlives. I don't know if all cultures have gods of the underworld, but very many to.

We encounter burial rituals around the world, going back into pre-history,

The word 'unbonding' springs to mind.

Last edited:

Sen McGlinn

And from one era to another. One purpose of religion I have not seen noted in this thread, is to mobilise support for a change in the established order. But then it lends support to the new order. Religion can also provide a micro-society that serves as a sanctuary and alternate to the established order. It's complicated, as they say of romantic relationships

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Typing up an essay on this very topic, I'll post it tomorrow

It is a topic that has captured considerable academic attention throughout the ages from many cultures. The short story is fine too though you may not feel you can give the question its due. I just wanted to generate some general discussion. Its a weighty topic for sure, but its also about whats important to us in our day to day lives.:)

Look forward to the essay.:)

ArtieE

Doesn't that depend on who's starting the religion and their motives? I could start a religion for the purpose of getting as many people as possible to give me their money...

Historically, it helped forge a common identity which allowed people with no familial bond to live together in increasingly large numbers. Many rituals (for example sacrifice) fulfilled a role of ensuring that people paid a price to belong to that group to demonstrate their commitment.

In the pre-modern era, they also served as the most effective way to pass down knowledge and values from generation to generation.

Narrative also serves as a form of catharsis, and helps people deal with the unknown.

Also by providing a framework/structure for life it helps to simplify people's lives (to some extent).

On the other hand personal liberty at times needs to be sacrificed for the greater good.

Unfettered personal liberty is not particularly important to the average human's psychological well being. People will often happily give up liberty for security and a sense of purpose.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Doesn't that depend on who's starting the religion and their motives? I could start a religion for the purpose of getting as many people as possible to give me their money...

Then we probably need to consider a definition of religion. What you are referring to isn't the basis of most religious traditions, though you do raise an important point about how a minority in some religious communities might exploit others.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Two obvious purposes of religion that I overlooked in my previous post.

One is birth, and the fertility of one's animals and plants generally.

And death. Humans, some other primates, elephants and dolphins, some birds, even some reptiles (lizards) all grieve at particular deaths, partners and tribal alphas in particular. In humans, death is central to countless tales, often the motive for or climax of the drama, and leads onto memories, dreams and ghosts, whence I dare say afterlives. I don't know if all cultures have gods of the underworld, but very many to.

We encounter burial rituals around the world, going back into pre-history,

The word 'unbonding' springs to mind.

Its interesting to consider early cultures and religious experience which your post touches on. I'm not aware of any ancient cultures where we could say with certainty that religion didn't exist. Are you?

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Its interesting to consider early cultures and religious experience which your post touches on. I'm not aware of any ancient cultures where we could say with certainty that religion didn't exist. Are you?
No. The only exception I can recall is a claim by an anthropologist who worked in Brazil to have found a tribe out on the Matto Grosso that was wholly without gods or spirits. It was presented as a unique, or certainly remarkable, thing. I think (but I may misremember) that the article was occasioned by another anthropologist or team who intended to check while in the area.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
And from one era to another. One purpose of religion I have not seen noted in this thread, is to mobilise support for a change in the established order. But then it lends support to the new order. Religion can also provide a micro-society that serves as a sanctuary and alternate to the established order. It's complicated, as they say of romantic relationships
Yes. I was thinking of the advantage to tribes to be homogeneous in custom, language, religion as aids to cohesion. But Jezebel's ill repute may well be simply propaganda from the local priests because when she married the leader of another tribe she brought her religion with her.