• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the purpose of Life?

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
Premium Member
I guess one might need to understand what the questioner means by 'purpose'. Every living thing in nature has a function connecting all ecosystems to one another on our planet. So do they mean function when they say purpose? Or do they mean when humans aspire to create meaning out of their existence? Or something else?

Shakeel

If what you say is true, why should I define my purpose based upon the purpose someone else created me for? What if the someone who created me isn't worthy of my worship?
If you accepted He created you, the rest of your futile questions wouldn't be.

Dave Watchman

If what you say is true, why should I define my purpose based upon the purpose someone else created me for?

The Father is looking for those to worship Him in spirit and in truth.

"Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. - John 4:23​

Worship comes from the Greek proskuneo. It can also mean to submit to, or to obey.

What if the someone who created me isn't worthy of my worship?

You may be of your father the Devil.

He isn't worthy of worship.

"You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies. - John 8:44​

Peaceful Sabbath.

RestlessSoul

If you don't have a purpose for your own life, what makes you suppose that it has any purpose at all, then?

I do not like the notion of my life being about some other entity's "purpose," especially when I'm not well-informed as to what that might be. And I might not like it if I were informed. After all, the chicken farmer doesn't tell his chickens that their purpose is to produce eggs and then be chopped up so their wings can be eaten in front of the TV with a nice hot sauce, or blue cheese and veggies sticks. Beef cattle would not be thrilled to learn that their whole purpose is steak, burgers and stew.

If life arose naturally on this planet, as I believe it did, then my purpose must remain resolutely my own -- I do not give anyone else the right to choose it for me.

So what is it then, this resolute purpose of your own choosing?

Bird123

What are your thoughts on what the purpose of life is?

Life is the Education of God's children.

It's that simple

Eternity has Purpose. When one has learned it all, one can Teach. There is always something to do.

That's what I see. It's very clear!!

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The child we hear that comes deep in our hearts is from the wounded child within. Healing this inner child's pain is the key to transforming anger, sadness, and fear. -Thich Nhat Hahn.

“That’s the thing about sensitive people. Things take time. Time to absorb other people’s feelings and time to restore their own sanity. Time to adjust to change and time to remain with their own values. Time to ask why things are the way they are and time to just simply let things be. A life of taking two steps forward and one step back is a powerful way to be.” — Juansen Dizon, Sensitive People

“To heal a wound you need to stop touching it.” — Unknown

....... To heal.

I never thought of it as the Purpose. The Truth. The This or That. I think we move, think, and feel from our instincts more than we realize. It has no purpose in itself. It just is.

nPeace

Veteran Member
But it is possible to use a tool designed for one purpose to carry out another. Even if there is a creator that made us, there is no reason to assume the original purpose has any meaning to us. Even in that case, it seems to me that *we* decide what our purpose is going forward.
There is no reason to assume?
So when we buy an unfamiliar gadget, there is no reason to assume we must use that gadget according to the instructions manual that comes with it.
We can use it anyway we want, and for whatever purpose we want.
shocked.gif

In reality, that's what many have chosen to do.
crash.gif
folly.gif

Every day, 29 people in the United States die in motor vehicle crashes that involve an alcohol-impaired driver.1 This is one death every 50 minutes.1 The annual cost of alcohol-related crashes totals more than $44 billion.
prob.jpg

Problem Drinking and Promiscuity
Scientists have long believed that the environment has a role to play in triggering risky sexual behavior and problem drinking tendencies. But they now know that certain unique structural features of the brain can predict if an individual will abuse alcohol or show promiscuous behavior in reaction to stress.

Addictive tendencies triggered by stress
Early-life stresses, such as being raised in an abusive household, can alter brain chemistry and functionality and may trigger substance use and abuse tendencies.

Problems with Promiscuity
9025716_orig.jpg

I don't want to fill up a page with all the problems man has created, and are unable to solve, because of seeking their own purpose, and doing things their way - Using their lives in various ways.

However, as you rightly said, it's up to us - our choice. We get to choose how to destroy our lives,
Or try to preserve it by our own means... regardless of how futile it proves to be.

Not meaning to sound negative, but facing reality or denying it, and hoping otherwise, is also a choice.

Just as we know - we don't need a degree in rocket science to know - we know that an instruction manual is provided by the manufacture, for the purpose of guiding the user, in the proper way for using his "not so simple" design, and taking care of it, common sense tells us that the designer of life would know the proper guidelines for his design to work to its fullest and best, and last longer - even forever, if it was designed to last that long.

So that's why some choose to consult the manual to hear from the manufacturer of life, because they know that using the "tools" the proper way, usually results in it lasting longer, and not being unnecessarily damaged.

If God is, and the evidence indicates that to be the case, then he has a purpose - one purpose, for his creation.
Of course that does not mean there is no variety, as is present in the variety of plants, animals, foods, etc.
It just means that one purpose is his overall purpose.

Thus there is good reason to assume that living our lives in harmony with, or in accord with his will, since he will fulfill his purpose - which the Bible says involves everlasting life.
Although for us, it's not an assumption.

MatthewA

What you wish it to be.

Hello sayak83,

Thank you for asking :).

If you would like to know my thoughts on "What is the purpose of Life".

Would to become and to know about the living and true God who allowed and formed the creation of human beings.

To Love God, and to Love others.

~~~ Though people may not believe that God could be found in the Holy Bible or that they can Learn from Jesus Christ mouth what 'He had to teach, and what He had done, and the amazing life on earth that He did have on here with Him and His 12 Disciples along with saw, Jesus Christ feed, nearly 9,000 people, one seemed like it was 5,000 people, the next seemed like 4,000 people. Had plenty left for the Disciples to have to eat after those others had been filled. Jesus Christ said that He is the bread of life, and the everlasting waters. Jesus Christ does speak in parables but those who are believers with the spirit are trying to figure scripture out by the spirit and asking God to help them understand, believe that people will be open to seeing and finding truth that way.

~ Though I may be wrong, and the bible may be wrong. So do not believe what I say, and see for yourself what is being said here is true or not, or has any purpose for you in your life, or has anything worth looking into.

The choice is up to you! Thank you all for your comments once again, and have a good night.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
There is no reason to assume?
So when we buy an unfamiliar gadget, there is no reason to assume we must use that gadget according to the instructions manual that comes with it.
We can use it anyway we want, and for whatever purpose we want.
View attachment 50318

In reality, that's what many have chosen to do.
View attachment 50319 View attachment 50320
Every day, 29 people in the United States die in motor vehicle crashes that involve an alcohol-impaired driver.1 This is one death every 50 minutes.1 The annual cost of alcohol-related crashes totals more than $44 billion.
View attachment 50321

Problem Drinking and Promiscuity
Scientists have long believed that the environment has a role to play in triggering risky sexual behavior and problem drinking tendencies. But they now know that certain unique structural features of the brain can predict if an individual will abuse alcohol or show promiscuous behavior in reaction to stress.

Addictive tendencies triggered by stress
Early-life stresses, such as being raised in an abusive household, can alter brain chemistry and functionality and may trigger substance use and abuse tendencies.

Problems with Promiscuity
9025716_orig.jpg

I don't want to fill up a page with all the problems man has created, and are unable to solve, because of seeking their own purpose, and doing things their way - Using their lives in various ways.

However, as you rightly said, it's up to us - our choice. We get to choose how to destroy our lives,
Or try to preserve it by our own means... regardless of how futile it proves to be.

Not meaning to sound negative, but facing reality or denying it, and hoping otherwise, is also a choice.

Just as we know - we don't need a degree in rocket science to know - we know that an instruction manual is provided by the manufacture, for the purpose of guiding the user, in the proper way for using his "not so simple" design, and taking care of it, common sense tells us that the designer of life would know the proper guidelines for his design to work to its fullest and best, and last longer - even forever, if it was designed to last that long.

So that's why some choose to consult the manual to hear from the manufacturer of life, because they know that using the "tools" the proper way, usually results in it lasting longer, and not being unnecessarily damaged.

If God is, and the evidence indicates that to be the case, then he has a purpose - one purpose, for his creation.
Of course that does not mean there is no variety, as is present in the variety of plants, animals, foods, etc.
It just means that one purpose is his overall purpose.

Thus there is good reason to assume that living our lives in harmony with, or in accord with his will, since he will fulfill his purpose - which the Bible says involves everlasting life.
Although for us, it's not an assumption.

Do you always need a recipe to cook a good meal?
A rhyming thesaurus to write a good poem?
Do babies need parents to go on their hands and knees to teach their child to crawl?

Tradition and scripture are fine... there are other ways to experience it without training wheels.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Do you always need a recipe to cook a good meal?
A rhyming thesaurus to write a good poem?
Do babies need parents to go on their hands and knees to teach their child to crawl?

Tradition and scripture are fine... there are other ways to experience it without training wheels.
Spoiling things is a way that many people chose to learn. It costs them, but they had the money to burn, so they don't complain.
When the computer fried, they just pulled their pockets and brought another.
Some parents hold their belly and bawl, and when the younger one steps in the same direction, they stamp their foot down and say, "No. I'm not going to lose another baby."
Some others say, "Oh well. What's done is done. Someone else will clean that mess."
rubbish.gif

Other people prefer to avoid the mess in the first place. Wisdom, I think.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Spoiling things is a way that many people chose to learn. It costs them, but they had the money to burn, so they don't complain.
When the computer fried, they just pulled their pockets and brought another.
Some parents hold their belly and bawl, and when the younger one steps in the same direction, they stamp their foot down and say, "No. I'm not going to lose another baby."
Some others say, "Oh well. What's done is done. Someone else will clean that mess."
rubbish.gif

Other people prefer to avoid the mess in the first place. Wisdom, I think.

This doesn't relate to my comment.

Do you need something to always help you keep "in the flow" of things?

What would you do without your cookbook or dictionary?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I' sorry Artist. I can't help if you are missing the point.

This is nice to put aside the question, but my curiosity still remains. I wasn't part of the original conversation so if you have a point, it wasn't directed to me. That and I dislike indirectness and guessing your point.

Its a short answer. I'm curious.

Do you feel you need a structure to tell you how to do things?

For example (since you gave the instructions example) can you cook without a recipe book or write a poem without a dictionary.

It's a very honest question. If you had a point, it wasn't intentionally directed to me.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
I' sorry Artist. I can't help if you are missing the point.
Can you actually present your "point" in a clear concise manner without writing a 500 word essay that meanders all over the universe?

If so, perhaps give that a try?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Hello sayak83,

Thank you for asking :).

If you would like to know my thoughts on "What is the purpose of Life".

Would to become and to know about the living and true God who allowed and formed the creation of human beings.

To Love God, and to Love others.

~~~ Though people may not believe that God could be found in the Holy Bible or that they can Learn from Jesus Christ mouth what 'He had to teach, and what He had done, and the amazing life on earth that He did have on here with Him and His 12 Disciples along with saw, Jesus Christ feed, nearly 9,000 people, one seemed like it was 5,000 people, the next seemed like 4,000 people. Had plenty left for the Disciples to have to eat after those others had been filled. Jesus Christ said that He is the bread of life, and the everlasting waters. Jesus Christ does speak in parables but those who are believers with the spirit are trying to figure scripture out by the spirit and asking God to help them understand, believe that people will be open to seeing and finding truth that way.

~ Though I may be wrong, and the bible may be wrong. So do not believe what I say, and see for yourself what is being said here is true or not, or has any purpose for you in your life, or has anything worth looking into.

The choice is up to you! Thank you all for your comments once again, and have a good night.
Thanks for that.
However, I was not asking a question. I was saying like "whatever an individual person wishes his or her purpose of life to be, that is what the purpose of that person's life is". I my view humans are (generally) free to choose one's life purpose.