• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the purpose of kippah hats?

Kirran

Premium Member
Look likes another forum. Can you make it short. What is it all about?

It's similar to the discussion here really. People who haven't seen that kippahs vary in size or read about how they link in to Jewish understandings of scripture and faith assert that they're to do with bald patches, and people who know something about the subject deny that assertion.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
Yes but... Liberal Jews... their way of doing things is deeply flawed for themselves but that is an entirely different topic.

If I eliminate what I've put in blue and italicized I can make sense of the sentence --- although, respectfully, I disagree. What am I not understanding about the sentence?

I'm not looking to derail this thread, although that might be the kindest thing I could do. I'm just seeking clarification.

sovietchild

It's similar to the discussion here really. People who haven't seen that kippahs vary in size or read about how they link in to Jewish understandings of scripture and faith assert that they're to do with bald patches, and people who know something about the subject deny that assertion.

The best answer was "both" religious and bald spot hider. So, I was just wondering what is your take on that?

Kirran

Premium Member
If I eliminate what I've put in blue and italicized I can make sense of the sentence --- although, respectfully, I disagree. What am I not understanding about the sentence?

I'm not looking to derail this thread, although that might be the kindest thing I could do. I'm just seeking clarification.

If you wanna have a discussion about this in a new dedicated thread, I'll read with interest (y)

The best answer was "both" religious and bald spot hider. So, I was just wondering what is your take on that?

My take is that you still don't understand that most kippahs do not correspond to the sizes of bald patches. The small kippahs we often see nowadays are basically just the smallest and least obtrusive head covering feasible. They weren't independently invented, they're a natural progression from larger kippahs (and other head coverings) which cover the whole head.

sovietchild

If you wanna have a discussion about this in a new dedicated thread, I'll read with interest (y)

My take is that you still don't understand that most kippahs do not correspond to the sizes of bald patches. The small kippahs we often see nowadays are basically just the smallest and least obtrusive head covering feasible. They weren't independently invented, they're a natural progression from larger kippahs (and other head coverings) which cover the whole head.

Don't most of the Israel men have bald spots on top of the skull? Maybe there is a connection.

sovietchild

Yup. And the purpose of the kippah is to fulfill the religious requirement of keeping the head covered using the minimum level of fabric and ostentatiousness feasible.

Yes, head covered, and not just the top of the skull. Seems very strange for them to do that, since lots of men have bald spots on top of the skull.

sovietchild

I think you're reaching.
The Jewish hat also known as the Jewish cap, Judenhut (German) or Latin pilleus cornutus ("horned skullcap"), was a cone-shaped pointed hat, often white or yellow, worn by Jews in Medieval Europe and some of the Islamic world. Initially worn by choice, its wearing was enforced in some places in Europe after 1215 for adult male Jews to wear while outside a ghetto in order to distinguish Jews from others. Like the phrygian cap it often resembles, the hat may have originated in pre-Islamic Persia—a similar hat was worn by Babylonian Jews.

Jewish hat - Wikipedia

It would be an even nicer poster if we could read the print at the bottom.

It even says here, the fashion started in Europe, where it's not so hot. The chances are who ever jump started this fashion had a bald spot, don't you think so?

Kirran

Premium Member
It even says here, the fashion started in Europe, where it's not so hot. The chances are who ever jump started this fashion had a bald spot, don't you think so?

The post you quote 1) isn't talking about kippahs and 2) doesn't say that the hat it is talking about derives from Europe, but from the Middle East.

Flankerl

- low birthrates
- high intermarriage
- few descendants identify as Jews further down the line

Its just statistics.

jewishgrandkids2.png