• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the purpose of kippah hats?

james bond

A Jewish friend of mine explained that this skullcap is a sign of modesty, a way to tell God you are not vain. The vanity would be for the many who have pride in a handsome head of hair, a status symbol in many cultures. Looking from above, everybody's hair is equal when concealed by this skullcap

That's interesting. Is there one for females? I went to a bat mitzbah and thought it was a bar mitzbah and was corrected immediately. I didn't know the family directly. I just mingled, drank, enjoyed the food and didn't ask questions why some people were wearing beanies. It's too warm to wear beanies now.

EDIT: BTW Jesus probably had a bar mitzvah and probably wore the cap (not sure which ones). I've read he did practice Judaism and visited Judah (grew up there?).

https://www.quora.com/Did-Jesus-have-a-bar-mitzvah

Last edited:

sovietchild

That's interesting. Is there one for females? I went to a bat mitzbah and thought it was a bar mitzbah and was corrected immediately. I didn't know the family directly. I just mingled, drank, enjoyed the food and didn't ask questions why some people were wearing beanies. It's too warm to wear beanies now.

EDIT: BTW Jesus probably had a bar mitzvah and probably wore the cap (not sure which ones). I've read he did practice Judaism and visited Judah (grew up there?).

I really doubt this kipa hat went back that far. They probably used different styles of hats.

It looks like this fashion started in the 16th century. Kippah - Wikipedia

Last edited:

rosends

Here's a nice poster
IMG_2371.JPG

Tumah

Veteran Member
The Jewish hat also known as the Jewish cap, Judenhut (German) or Latin pilleus cornutus ("horned skullcap"), was a cone-shaped pointed hat, often white or yellow, worn by Jews in Medieval Europe and some of the Islamic world. Initially worn by choice, its wearing was enforced in some places in Europe after 1215 for adult male Jews to wear while outside a ghetto in order to distinguish Jews from others. Like the phrygian cap it often resembles, the hat may have originated in pre-Islamic Persia—a similar hat was worn by Babylonian Jews.

Jewish hat - Wikipedia

It would be an even nicer poster if we could read the print at the bottom.

rosends

The Jewish hat also known as the Jewish cap, Judenhut (German) or Latin pilleus cornutus ("horned skullcap"), was a cone-shaped pointed hat, often white or yellow, worn by Jews in Medieval Europe and some of the Islamic world. Initially worn by choice, its wearing was enforced in some places in Europe after 1215 for adult male Jews to wear while outside a ghetto in order to distinguish Jews from others. Like the phrygian cap it often resembles, the hat may have originated in pre-Islamic Persia—a similar hat was worn by Babylonian Jews.

Jewish hat - Wikipedia

It would be an even nicer poster if we could read the print at the bottom.
Blame my mom. She took that on her phone a bunch of years ago...one of these days maybe I'll try to get a better shot.

Flankerl

You don't have a bar/bat Mitzvah you become bar/bat MItzvah, of age and required to observe the various Mitzvot.

Also the dead fella named Jesus probably had no party as it is a rather recent phenomenom and wore no Kippah. Probably just some sort of head covering.

Flankerl

What do you call the ceremony then?

There is no real ceremony, boys are called to read from the Torah and girls aren't.
Whether you are bar/bat mitzvah is entirely about your age. So the reading from the Torah may be some time after your birthday due to family attending etc but your responsibility starts exactly on your 13th/12th birthday

Kirran

Premium Member
There is no real ceremony, boys are called to read from the Torah and girls aren't.
Whether you are bar/bat mitzvah is entirely about your age. So the reading from the Torah may be some time after your birthday due to family attending etc but your responsibility starts exactly on your 13th/12th birthday

So when people say 'I'm going to this kid's bar mitzvah' what should they be saying instead?

I think maybe Reform Jews have girls read from the Torah as well, or some of them.

Tumah

Veteran Member
So when people say 'I'm going to this kid's bar mitzvah' what should they be saying instead?

I think maybe Reform Jews have girls read from the Torah as well, or some of them.
"I'm going to this kids' bar mitzvah party."

Flankerl

They can say its the bar/bat mitzvah ceremony, it doesn't really matter. But perhaps someone should've told them the actual meaning of the term.

Yes but... Liberal Jews... their way of doing things is deeply flawed for themselves but that is an entirely different topic.