• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the proper title of someone who believes in a God but doesn't know which one?

Is evolution a sound theory?

• Total voters

David T

Premium Member
Because evolution and the Big Bang theory is basically impossible (you cannot create everything from nothing), what do you call a person who believes in higher beings/ GOD but no specific one?
Yes you have the void issue correct.. Now start attacking all voids lots of then exist!!! A starter void we have is life death. That requires a magic void to literally be true between life death. Evolution has a huge void between the narrator and the topic! Kill that void. Work on that for a while get back to me. Void is necessary to create a mechanical reality and dominates science and religion for that matter. It's just normal folks being normal.,

QuestioningMind

Because evolution and the Big Bang theory is basically impossible (you cannot create everything from nothing), what do you call a person who believes in higher beings/ GOD but no specific one?

What is the proper title for someone who thinks that the BBT or TOE claims that something came from nothing? Woefully ignorant about what either theory actually says.

David T

Premium Member
First of all, the concept of god and the theory of evolution are not mutually exclusive. That said, someone who believes in a god or gods in general is a theist.
I like!!! Although good luck explaining that. I stick to music!!!! But I am a lefthanded dedicated anarchist at heart. I am rediscovering Dylan lately. He is good crazy..

james bond

I get this line of reasoning from atheists a lot, but yours is one of the few from theists. Are you an internet theist as opposed to an internet atheist?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
We don't purport to have all the answers. Besides, even if we did, what happens on RF is a lot of the liberals and atheists do not like the answers.

Speaking personally, having an issue with your answers is usually more to do with opinion presented as fact than anything else.

But by all means, post whatever you need to here to bolster your 'certainty'.

Grandliseur

Evolution can be the case even if God exists. Your poll doesn't encompass the possibilities.
For some this is true. It should be admitted that about the manner of how nearly things were created - little is said. Still, we are at odds, which is also very much OK.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Evolution is a theory that has been repeatedly proven beyond doubt across several different disciplines of science.

As for something from nothing, it is certainly feasible, to state categorically that it is impossible you need to provide evidence of your claim, opinion os not evidence.

Here os something to help you think about your claim more objectively
[1404.1207] Spontaneous creation of the universe from nothing

You would call a person who believes in any god or gods a theist.

james bond

Speaking personally, having an issue with your answers is usually more to do with opinion presented as fact than anything else.

But by all means, post whatever you need to here to bolster your 'certainty'.

My answers have largely to do with expressing truth and knowledge in addition to imparting creation science and creationist thinking, and finally, giving my opinion. There is no need to bolster "certainty" when I have Jesus on my side. It seems that one has an issue with themselves if one needs to bolster their certainty of worldview. For example, facts -- as in creation facts thread -- I recently posted. How can any system, including evolution and its decreasing entropy, contradict the SLOT and still be successful? Is there even a system with decreasing entropy that isn't local? I also took down due to unpopular request of the race to find the model of DNA between Dr. Linus Pauling and Francis Crick and James Watson when Pauling turned out to be Unitarian and an atheist. While it wasn't provocative as creation scientist vs atheist scientist, the story was still an exciting and good one to tell for those interested in science and discovery. I finally got the lowdown of what happened during their race. This, after learning about Pauling's atheism from Sapiens, so it may be a story to tell for another day. The end also includes what happened to Crick.

Also, I have my opinions or thinking based on creation science, as well. It's the latter of which you speak. It's not mainstream YEC, but who knows one day it could be. If Elon Musk can make statements like, "The future of humanity is going to bifurcate in two directions: Either it's going to become multiplanetary, or it's going to remain confined to one planet and eventually there's going to be an extinction event." I think he meant for us to become multiplanetary since he founded a space travel company, but ironically he was right in the latter statement. We will remain confined to one planet and eventually there's going to be an extinction event. The Bible prophecies and the fine tuning theory lead me to believe so. We like to believe there is a better future, but it could turn out to be an apocalyptic one instead. The catastrophism of war and famine could lead us to be tested beyond the limits of our own countries. We've experienced war, famine and other tough times, and today, we live with a state of in-between. We're not so bad off, but we're not in agreement for a bright, sunny future either. Iran turned out to not be a threat, as predicted, but it doesn't mean that it won't cause problems down the road either. There are enough terror incidents that it could lead to escalation of violence. In the US, we have antifa groups and a rise in terror incidents. Who and what groups are the new terrorists? The best we can hope for is that violence can be controlled and not lead to rioting and bloodshed on the streets. To do this, we have to reach some common ground instead of focusing on differences. To that end, we have to keep our politics, science and religion in equilibrium. I don't think we'll find out who's worldview was right until the end. Was it creation science or atheist science?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
My answers have largely to do with expressing truth and knowledge in addition to imparting creation science and creationist thinking, and finally, giving my opinion. There is no need to bolster "certainty" when I have Jesus on my side. It seems that one has an issue with themselves if one needs to bolster their certainty of worldview. For example, facts -- as in creation facts thread -- I recently posted. How can any system, including evolution and its decreasing entropy, contradict the SLOT and still be successful? Is there even a system with decreasing entropy that isn't local? I also took down due to unpopular request of the race to find the model of DNA between Dr. Linus Pauling and Francis Crick and James Watson when Pauling turned out to be Unitarian and an atheist. While it wasn't provocative as creation scientist vs atheist scientist, the story was still an exciting and good one to tell for those interested in science and discovery. I finally got the lowdown of what happened during their race. This, after learning about Pauling's atheism from Sapiens, so it may be a story to tell for another day. The end also includes what happened to Crick.

Also, I have my opinions or thinking based on creation science, as well. It's the latter of which you speak. It's not mainstream YEC, but who knows one day it could be. If Elon Musk can make statements like, "The future of humanity is going to bifurcate in two directions: Either it's going to become multiplanetary, or it's going to remain confined to one planet and eventually there's going to be an extinction event." I think he meant for us to become multiplanetary since he founded a space travel company, but ironically he was right in the latter statement. We will remain confined to one planet and eventually there's going to be an extinction event. The Bible prophecies and the fine tuning theory lead me to believe so. We like to believe there is a better future, but it could turn out to be an apocalyptic one instead. The catastrophism of war and famine could lead us to be tested beyond the limits of our own countries. We've experienced war, famine and other tough times, and today, we live with a state of in-between. We're not so bad off, but we're not in agreement for a bright, sunny future either. Iran turned out to not be a threat, as predicted, but it doesn't mean that it won't cause problems down the road either. There are enough terror incidents that it could lead to escalation of violence. In the US, we have antifa groups and a rise in terror incidents. Who and what groups are the new terrorists? The best we can hope for is that violence can be controlled and not lead to rioting and bloodshed on the streets. To do this, we have to reach some common ground instead of focusing on differences. To that end, we have to keep our politics, science and religion in equilibrium. I don't think we'll find out who's worldview was right until the end. Was it creation science or atheist science?

What makes you think that the fact that you are an ape means that the SLOT does not work? You keep using an oversimplified and wrong understanding of what entropy is and what the SLOT says. Perhaps if you could be a bit more precise your error could be explained to you. When all you can do is to wave your hands violently one cannot explain where the error is except in the hand waving.

And you also keep conflating "creationism" and Christianity. Worldwide most Christians accept the theory of evolution. They realize that they do not have to believe the myths of Genesis to be a Christian.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

In my Bible research I find you are right that it is basically impossible to create out of nothing.
According to Isaiah 40:26 God created out of His Power, His Strength.
So, God supplied the abundantly needed dynamic energy ( His power and strength ) to create the material realm.
To me, God's 'strength and power' is Not nothing but is something that God uses to create - Psalms 104:30.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
In my Bible research I find you are right that it is basically impossible to create out of nothing.
According to Isaiah 40:26 God created out of His Power, His Strength.
So, God supplied the abundantly needed dynamic energy ( His power and strength ) to create the material realm.
To me, God's 'strength and power' is Not nothing but is something that God uses to create - Psalms 104:30.
The Bible is not the place to do such "research".

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
The Bible is not the place to do such "research".

Since the Bible claims to be God's Word (Psalms 119:105) then why Not research the Bible !
The people of Acts of the Apostles 17:11 compared what they were hearing with Scripture.
There are people who have told me that God created out of nothing, but what I am stating is that according to Scripture that is Not true. God used His Power, His Strength to create the visible realm of existence - Isaiah 40:26.
To me, God's power and strength ( His energy ) is Not nothing.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Since the Bible claims to be God's Word (Psalms 119:105) then why Not research the Bible !
The people of Acts of the Apostles 17:11 compared what they were hearing with Scripture.
There are people who have told me that God created out of nothing, but what I am stating is that according to Scripture that is Not true. God used His Power, His Strength to create the visible realm of existence - Isaiah 40:26.
To me, God's power and strength ( His energy ) is Not nothing.

That does not say that the the Bible is "God's Word". In fact at best that verse could only refer to verses written earlier than that as "God's Word". The Bible gets far too many things wrong if one uses it as an authority on science. It ends up being self refuting if one makes that mistake. You might use it as a source that inspires you. But don't make the error of thinking of it as infallible.

dianaiad

Where's the option for "this poll sucks?"

I mean, I can't be alone in my observations.

Yes, it is not a good poll. There ARE other options than the ones presented. Now me, I picked #3, but that doesn't work either. Evolution is pretty obviously true, but that doesn't mean there is no God (as someone else here has noted) It doesn't even mean that God didn't use the process of simple-to-complex evolutionary processes TO create us.

Doesn't mean that one can't disbelieve in evolution AND disbelieve in a deity, too. I'm not sure who would pick that option, but it should be there. ;)

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
That does not say that the the Bible is "God's Word". In fact at best that verse could only refer to verses written earlier than that as "God's Word". The Bible gets far too many things wrong if one uses it as an authority on science. It ends up being self refuting if one makes that mistake. You might use it as a source that inspires you. But don't make the error of thinking of it as infallible.

As far as I know no one thinks of the Bible as a science book, but where is it out of harmony with known science.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
...............It doesn't even mean that God didn't use the process of simple-to-complex evolutionary processes TO create us.

Only where lower life forms are considered God could have used a simple to complex process, but according to Genesis 2:7 God 'formed' the man from already existing earth. So, God made Adam out of already existing material.
I find 'formed' (shaped) Adam did Not come to life until after God ' breathed the breath of life ' into lifeless Adam.
Adam did Not come to be a living soul, a living person, before he started to breathe.
So, as far as human life is concerned there is No evolving, but the forming of the body and then God 'breathed the breath of life' into the non-breathing human life aka Adam.
So, Adam went from non-life, to life, and returned back to non-life at his death - Genesis 3:19.