• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the Nature of Everything?

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
John Dewey was an American Philosopher who thought through the whole concept of what it means to learn. Learning was not meant to be boring to Dewey, and he realized that educating oneself was its own reward.

Dewey had three theories about how we understand the world and learn from it, either; truth is art, truth is technology, or truth is nature.

As a Christian, I'm inclined to think that technology is what defines reality. The cosmos is a craft and everything within it too. Even art is portrayed a certain way for a purpose (to communicate something), therefore it's technically technology. Although there is no proof of the multiverse being so, it makes sense on the micro level.

I also believe as a Christian that nature is itself a work of art. And one day we will all meet the artist. My hope is that we'll all be ready.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
John Dewey was an American Philosopher who thought through the whole concept of what it means to learn. Learning was not meant to be boring to Dewey, and he realized that educating oneself was its own reward.

Dewey had three theories about how we understand the world and learn from it, either; truth is art, truth is technology, or truth is nature.

As a Christian, I'm inclined to think that technology is what defines reality. The cosmos is a craft and everything within it too. Even art is portrayed a certain way for a purpose (to communicate something), therefore it's technically technology. Although there is no proof of the multiverse being so, it makes sense on the micro level.

I also believe as a Christian that nature is itself a work of art. And one day we will all meet the artist. My hope is that we'll all be ready.

Truth is nature, Art tries to capture its truth, technology tries to improve its truth. Only nature is pure, Art is subjective and technology improves at a cost to nature.

David T

Premium Member

nature is home... all statements after that are either expression or self deluding definitions as that becomes reality. That turns home into house. BS. We have fire, then lava then cooling rock then strip mall reality with dimwits bumbling along in fantasy land. Eventually fire destroys strip malls turns to lava turns to rock turns to stripalls. Christianity today is full throttle strip mall nonsense. I don't hang out in stripalls Christian. It didn't start out that way why should understand it that way? Wesley Calvin Luther Nicene creed theology all of it stripmall nonsense.. Joel osteen is the perfect strip mall preacher. Go figure.

RedDragon94

nature is home... all statements after that are either expression or self deluding definitions as that becomes reality. That turns home into house. BS. We have fire, then lava then cooling rock then strip mall reality with dimwits bumbling along in fantasy land. Eventually fire destroys strip malls turns to lava turns to rock turns to stripalls. Christianity today is full throttle strip mall nonsense. I don't hang out in stripalls Christian. It didn't start out that way why should understand it that way? Wesley Calvin Luther Nicene creed theology all of it stripmall nonsense.. Joel osteen is the perfect strip mall preacher. Go figure.
Oh and people like Dewey and Nietzsche aren't? I think that's BS. Like existentialism and naturalism aren't appealing.

What's the deal with strip malls?

Last edited:

David T

Premium Member
Oh and people like Dewey and Nietzsche aren't? I think that's BS. Like existentialism and naturalism aren't appealing.

What's the deal with strip malls?
Masterbation, and watching the nature channel might also be appealing so what? I would not call Masterbating making love nor would I call watching a TV show about nature hiking in nature. Please it's very confused and totally normal. Your normal. I totally kirkegaarded ya dude. Would you call kirkegaard an existentialist? And a side note I appreciate young nietztche existentialists. I am a even bigger pain in the *** than nietztche. It's too bad he was like the curt cobain of philosophy.brilliant but dangerous and deadly in the end. A tragic David Foster Wallace, Or the other way around. Gotta have roots very very deep grounded roots if ya wanna swim in the deep end.

Last edited:

RedDragon94

Writer, some days I love my work some days not so much and sometimes I go back and look at what I wrote and wonder why I wrote it and sometimes I'm happily surprised at what I wrote.
Does it mean different things on different days?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Does it mean different things on different days?

Of course, that's what I am saying. At times I have no understanding of what or why I wrote it and other times it means much more. Art is trapped in a time bubble my subjective view of the time. The art does not change but my view of the world constantly changes. I am no longer the boy who wrote for the school newspaper today. I grew and so has my art.

Edit: A little more detail, when I write I am writing to an audience, communicating in ways I feel they will understand. 20 years later that audience doesn't exist and some of that style of communication will be gone. It usually doesn't relate the same to me. I also notice my mood reflects in my writing so if I am angry one day and writing, when I am happy and reviewing I may not understand as well.

If you are an artist, you are saying you completely understand and feel the same things from your earliest work.

Last edited:

RedDragon94

Of course, that's what I am saying. At times I have no understanding of what or why I wrote it and other times it means much more. Art is trapped in a time bubble my subjective view of the time. The art does not change but my view of the world constantly changes. I am no longer the boy who wrote for the school newspaper today. I grew and so has my art.

Edit: A little more detail, when I write I am writing to an audience, communicating in ways I feel they will understand. 20 years later that audience doesn't exist and some of that style of communication will be gone. It usually doesn't relate the same to me. I also notice my mood reflects in my writing so if I am angry one day and writing, when I am happy and reviewing I may not understand as well.

If you are an artist, you are saying you completely understand and feel the same things from your earliest work.
Well, any time we talk about God we're talking about an immutable author. immutable= unchanging.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Then is God being destroyed by global warming?

Global warming is changing the world so that we will die off but nature will change and survive. Fish will still be alive perhaps a new creature will walk the earth. God is also the God of the universe, nature extends far beyond this one planet.

RedDragon94

Global warming is changing the world so that we will die off but nature will change and survive. Fish will still be alive perhaps a new creature will walk the earth. God is also the God of the universe, nature extends far beyond this one planet.
Okay. But I've heard about the universe winding down.