• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the meaning of existence?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I am not asking what the *purpose* of existence is or whether it has a purpose.

I am asking what it means to say that something 'exists'.

How do we show something exists?

How do we show something does NOT exist?

How does the existence of a chair in my room relate to the non-existence of Sherlock Holmes or Santa Claus?

Is it meaningful to say that something exists if there is no way to detect it, even in theory?

Discuss.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
This sounds like a job for Webster's.

Anything, which can be acknowledged in the present, exists.

We know that sherlock holmes and Santa clause are fictional characters, therefore they do not exist except as fictional characters.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
evidence?

no doubt you will call for it

and what line do you think you have drawn?......so far

Thief

Rogue Theologian

We know that sherlock holmes and Santa clause are fictional characters, therefore they do not exist except as fictional characters.
and the items that make the proclamation on their own?
(see Cowardly Lion of Oz)

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

So Sherlock Holmes is not 'acknowledged in the present'? What does that even mean?

So, *how* do we know these characters are fictional as opposed to, say, allegorical, mythological, or even existing on a different plane?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
So Sherlock Holmes is not 'acknowledged in the present'? What does that even mean?

So, *how* do we know these characters are fictional as opposed to, say, allegorical, mythological, or even existing on a different plane?
open minded?......are we now?

Kemosloby

Premium Member

Look on wikipedia i guess.

jonathan180iq

You realize that your explanation here causes some problems for your theological positions, yes?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
No, since I acknowledge God is real and in the present, for me God exists. For you God might not exist.

So existence depends on the person? It isn't objective?

If someone acknowledges the Flying Spaghetti Monster, does that mean the FSM exists?

/E: What if someone acknowledges Santa Claus?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I am not asking what the *purpose* of existence is or whether it has a purpose.

I am asking what it means to say that something 'exists'.

How do we show something exists?

How do we show something does NOT exist?

How does the existence of a chair in my room relate to the non-existence of Sherlock Holmes or Santa Claus?

Is it meaningful to say that something exists if there is no way to detect it, even in theory?

Discuss.

Short answer: Yes, no, and maybe.

jonathan180iq

No, since I acknowledge God is real and in the present, for me God exists. For you God might not exist.
Good try. But that does nothing to answer the objective requirement of existence...

Rocks, for example, don't "exist for you" and "not exist for me".
Subjective existence is no existence at all.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
So existence depends on the person? It isn't objective?

If someone acknowledges the Flying Spaghetti Monster, does that mean the FSM exists?

Yes of course. When someone first dreamed up the FSM it began its existence as a fictional character. Unless you are acknowledging the FSM is a non-fictional character?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes of course. When someone first dreamed up the FSM it began its existence as a fictional character. Unless you are acknowledging the FSM is a non-fictional character?

What if someone does? Does that mean the FSM exists?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Isn't that like saying, Binajah Zinji could actually exist on a allegorical, mythological, or different plane once I think it onto paper (or screen) outside of my noggin'?

Does an existence of a fictional character or anyone by definition is invisible need to be taken into consideration because it is no longer in my head but on paper, screen, or by word instead?

At what point does Santa Claus be so distinct to motivate a person to examine his actual existence compared to the countless threads asking for evidence of god?

What's the difference between the two other than the number of followers and history?