• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Is the Largest Creature You Have Ever Seen in Person?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Me too. What a sight! I was standing at the beach during humpback whale migration season wondering if I'd see anything that day, when all of a sudden . . .

shutterstock_261048392.jpg

Aren't well-fed bobcats slightly bigger than these? :D

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
A friend living in Europe was driving on a forest road at night and hit a moose at 90 km/h. He was fine, but the moose died and the car was totaled. When the police arrived, they told him he was lucky to be alive.

Yup, I had a friend that used to test Ford cars in Michigan here. He was driving something like a GT and hit a Moose. The car evaporated, as did (most of) the Moose. He surprisingly also walked away.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
A friend living in Europe was driving on a forest road at night and hit a moose at 90 km/h. He was fine, but the moose died and the car was totaled. When the police arrived, they told him he was lucky to be alive.

Also, I didn't know they had Moose in Europe...

Edit: spelling

Viker

Häxan
In the wild, a black bear. At the zoo, an African elephant. The elephant came right up to me and a friend I was with. He loved children. The proverbial gentle giant.

The bear ignored me and moved on (thankfully). It was huge for a black bear, too.

exchemist

Veteran Member
What is the largest creature you have ever seen in person, whether in terms of size or mass?

The largest I have ever seen was an African elephant in the local zoo many years ago. I have since boycotted said zoo due to its mistreatment of animals, so I don't know whether it still has the same species of elephants now.
African elephant for me, too, but in Kenya, on a safari holiday.

Erebus

I've seen African elephants at the zoo and I may have seen whales as a kid (I know we went somewhere to look at them but honestly don't remember if we saw any).

Those aren't even close to the biggest animals in the world though. These things are:

ObHroScNo65RNQKGHvSmkR33Tljm7mkkVHki02O2dnh8Ki2PADRMt4wldn47Rbyt26u89sUGbv7sXIlFPU0p=s600

PureX

Veteran Member
I built a traveling "garage" crate for the skull of the largest and most complete T-Rex ever found. The skull itself was over 6 feet long and had teeth up to 12 inches long. The dinosaur stood 22 feet tall, upright, and the skeleton is now in Chicago's Field Museum.

1__IGP7760sm.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
What is the largest creature you have ever seen in person, whether in terms of size or mass?

The largest I have ever seen was an African elephant in the local zoo many years ago. I have since boycotted said zoo due to its mistreatment of animals, so I don't know whether it still has the same species of elephants now.
Humpback whale, off the shores of Hawaii.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Apart from those in zoos and circuses - I suppose the largest I have encountered was a basking shark off the Isle of Man, and perhaps 20ft long - when we were sailing a yacht back to the mainland. If we had had the time and reassured by a friend of mine as to their docility with regards humans, we might have swum with it. We did have sub-aqua equipment onboard and which we had used earlier, but we decided to press on and so missed the opportunity. :oops:

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I've seen African elephants at the zoo and I may have seen whales as a kid (I know we went somewhere to look at them but honestly don't remember if we saw any).

Those aren't even close to the biggest animals in the world though. These things are:

ObHroScNo65RNQKGHvSmkR33Tljm7mkkVHki02O2dnh8Ki2PADRMt4wldn47Rbyt26u89sUGbv7sXIlFPU0p=s600

What kind of spider is that?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I built a traveling "garage" crate for the skull of the largest and most complete T-Rex ever found. The skull itself was over 6 feet long and had teeth up to 12 inches long. The dinosaur stood 22 feet tall, upright, and the skeleton is now in Chicago's Field Museum.

1__IGP7760sm.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

There is an allosaurus called Kan lives just up the road from is in Marquaysac gardens.

A dinosaur in the garden - The overhanging gardens of Marqueyssac

Not as big as t rex but of the same lineage a few million years earlier the mr T roamed the earth.