• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the Hindu position on sex outside of marriage and contraception?

Onkara

Hi ZooGirl
My personal position from understanding Hinduism (Sanatana Dharma) is that sex outside of marriage is driven by desire. If desire is so strong in an individual that it drives them to act wrongly to their morals and in a way which might damage their partner then they are likely to live to regret the karma it produces. I do not think God will sit in judgment on them, rather they will continue to feel the effects e.g. betrayal, guilt, lies, mistrust, divorce, illegitamate children etc and this may be hell enough for some individuals, all because of desire.

Contraception should be used too in my opinion, but again, the individual will bear the results of the actions (karma), although I don't think it will lead to divorce for most couples. :)

I answer personally as I have not seen contraception mentioned in the scriptures, also Sanatana Dharma is a way of life with the Divine rather than a strict set of rules imho. One will grow into a good person and act righteously through living a life dedicated to the divine, rather than through fear alone, imho.

Last edited:

ZooGirl02

Hi ZooGirl
My personal position from understanding Hinduism (Sanatana Dharma) is that sex outside of marriage is driven by desire. If desire is so strong in an individual that it drives them to act wrongly to their morals and in a way which might damage their partner then they are likely to live to regret the karma it produces. I do not think God will sit in judgment on them, rather they will continue to feel the effects e.g. betrayal, guilt, lies, mistrust, divorce, illegitamate children etc and this may be hell enough for some individuals, all because of desire.

Contraception should be used too in my opinion, but again, the individual will bear the results of the actions (karma), although I don't think it will lead to divorce for most couples. :)

I answer personally as I have not seen contraception mentioned in the scriptures, also Sanatana Dharma is a way of life with the Divine rather than a strict set of rules imho. One will grow into a good person and act righteously through living a life dedicated to the divine, rather than through fear alone, imho.

Okay so would Hindus look down upon premarital sex or not? Sorry, that was my main question. I guess I didn't make it clear. :eek:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, premarital sex is highly discouraged. But it isn't a grave sin nor does it make you a bad person.

ZooGirl02

Yes, premarital sex is highly discouraged. But it isn't a grave sin nor does it make you a bad person.

Ah okay. I didn't know that. But anyway, I have already chosen a path and it is Buddhism. I have leaned towards Buddhism now for several months but just never quite had the courage to take the plunge.

Wannabe Yogi

Okay so would Hindus look down upon premarital sex or not? Sorry, that was my main question. I guess I didn't make it clear. :eek:

Premarital sex is not see in a positive light.Much the same way it is seen in Buddhism. There is no sin in Hinduism so it is not the same as christianity.
The goal was to have a happy home and village life.

Last edited:

Satsangi

Actually I would add that sex outside of marriage IS seen as very bad in Hinduism. Whether it is a sin or not; I will have to look it up in the Smritis of Dharma Shashtras. Before marriage sex in Brahmacharyashram IS forbidden. As for contraception; it is generally acceptable in the culture although I do not know what the Scriptures say about it especially because the Shashtras recommend sex only for procreation and not for fun.

Regards,

TTCUSM

Apparently none of you guys have heard of Tantrism. Or the Kama Sutra. Or the temples of Khajuraho. The following excerpt comes from page 190 of Monier-Williams's book Brahmanism and Hinduism:

In Saktism we are confronted with the worst results of the worst superstitious ideas that have ever disgraced and degraded the human race. It is by offering to women the so-called homage of sensual love and carnal passion, and by yielding free course to all the grosser appetites, wholly regardless of social rules and restrictions, that the worshippers of the female power (Shakti) in Nature seek to gratify the goddess representing that power, and through her aid to acquire supernatural faculties, and eventually obtain union with the Supreme Being.

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
Apparently none of you guys have heard of Tantrism. Or the Kama Sutra. Or the temples of Khajuraho. The following excerpt comes from page 190 of Monier-Williams's book Brahmanism and Hinduism:

Sex in the tantric practice has nothing to do with "having sex" in the usual sense though. At least thats my understanding. It is a spiritual practice rather than just 'having sex', and is practiced as such. Tantra has to do with transformation, its spiritual alchemy; thus 'sex' is used as a transformation practice rather than the usual idea of 'having sex'.

I may be wrong though, thats just my understanding so far.

Peace

Wannabe Yogi

I studied with a Tantric saint for 10 years. I can tell you that Shaktism has very little to do with sex for 99% of all the devotees of the Devi.
Monier-Williams's was an English victorian and probably had a dim view of sex in general.
If you would like to read a European Scholar on the subject I would recommend Arthur Avalon. He studied with Tantrics and is seen as having the best knowledge on the subject. In the West it is very pop to study Tantra to increase the fun of sex. That was not it's original use.

There are 4 goals of life in Hinduism. Dharma, Artha, Kama (love/desire) and Moksha. Temples in Orissa are also covered on the out side with seans of everyday life. Sex is a part of that even Gay sex. Sex was not seen as dirty or wrong. It was the conquest and influence of the Abrahamic traditions that changed some of that for the Hindu's.

The Kama Sutra is not a scripture but a text on sex and how to enjoy it. There is nothing wrong with sex.

Some who desire Moksha (liberation) they are willing to put it aside for a greater pleasure, freedom or being lost in the love of God. It is given up not because it is dirty or bad it is because they just have a different goal.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
So how does Hinduism see homosexuality then? Since gay people can't marry in every country? Oh, and Buddhism doesn't see sex outside marriage as unethical, just to clarify.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
So how does Hinduism see homosexuality then? Since gay people can't marry in every country? Oh, and Buddhism doesn't see sex outside marriage as unethical, just to clarify.

There isn't really an official stance one way or the other on homosexuality. As far as I know, the subject isn't brought up at all in the scriptures.

Rainbow Mage

So are there gay Hindus then? I was told the view of homosexuality Hinduism takes is generally negative.

Wannabe Yogi

From what little I read.

The Dalai Lama, the exiled Tibetan spiritual and temporal leader, on Friday said sex spelt fleeting satisfaction and trouble later, while chastity offered a better life and "more freedom."

"Sexual pressure, sexual desire, actually I think is short period satisfaction and often, that leads to more complication," the Dalai Lama told reporters in a Lagos hotel, speaking in English without a translator.

Sex invariably spells trouble, says Dalai Lama

It seems like Buddhism and Hinduism is on the same page on sex. It is not about right or wrong.

Homosexuality marriage was allowed in at least some parts of Ancient India. There are texts to prove it.
I have read the negative stuff from the Codes of Manu. The only thing it says is that Gays are not allowed to do a certain ritual. I reject the Code of Manu due to the fact that it was unknown in India till the English found it and made a big deal out of it. There are 100s of codes of law all of them are different and have different rules.

A hand full of the real old temples have pictures of Gay sex carved right into the out side of the temples.

One reason I converted to Hinduism is the open mindedness. In the 1930's the famous author Christopher Isherwood went to his future Guru and told him he was gay. His Guru told him to look on his lover as if he was the Lord Krishna.
You should read the book "My Guru and his disciple"

Rainbow Mage

Thanks for that Wannabe Yogi, and yes, but the Dalai Lama only speaks for Tibetan Buddhism. The Buddha taught to have sex within a commited partnership, not necessarily marriage

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Yeah, there are gay Hindus, the same way there are Hindus who have sex before marriage. Some people may criticise you for it, but not everyone, by far.

I think it is worth remembering that many Hindus are more socially conservative than Westerners are.

Personally, it's none of my concern if someone is gay or having pre-martial sex, or anything. As long as all parties involved are consensual, I don't see why it should be any of my concern what people--of the same or different genders, get up to. :)

This may be of some interest, too: Homosexuality and Hinduism - ReligionFacts

Wannabe Yogi

So are there gay Hindus then? I was told the view of homosexuality Hinduism takes is generally negative.

This is due to the Abrahamic conquest of India. Would you not say that many Buddhists out side of America have a negative view of being gay also.

Wannabe Yogi

Thanks for that Wannabe Yogi, and yes, but the Dalai Lama only speaks for Tibetan Buddhism. The Buddha taught to have sex within a commited partnership, not necessarily marriage

I have gotten that view from more then one Buddhist monk and from more then one sect. It seems to me that American Buddhists are the ones who are much more pro gay.

kaisersose

Don't you think these are social issues and completely outside the purview of religion?

Yes, there are some religions in this world, poking their noses into social affairs, but thankfully this problem does not exist in Hinduism. There may be some rare exceptions, of course.