• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the highest authority for Jains?

anadi

on the way
Hello Jains!

I've been reading a bit about Jainism and I find it quite interesting. I had a chat about it with my friend who is a Hare Krishna. He said that in the vedas, it says that one should exept authority from 3 sources: shastra, guru and sadhu (scripture, spiritual master and other saintly persons)

I wonder how Jainism deals with authority. What/who is the highest spiritual authority in Jainism?

Last edited:

religion99

1. Jain God
2. Jain Monks
3. Books written by Jain Monks (Jain God doesn't write the Book )

According to my Sect , first two are extinct , leaving only last as the highest authority. Two books considered standard in my sect are: Pravachanasara and Samaysara - equivalent to Bible , Quran or Geeta.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Religion99. Stay in the forum. Otherwise many a times I have to fill in for Jains. I am from Udaipur, know some Terapanthis and Sthanakvasis. :D
Jain God, is there one or many?

Last edited:

anadi

on the way
1. Jain God
2. Jain Monks
3. Books written by Jain Monks (Jain God doesn't write the Book )

According to my Sect , first two are extinct , leaving only last as the highest authority. Two books considered standard in my sect are: Pravachanasara and Samaysara - equivalent to Bible , Quran or Geeta.

Jain God? I thought Jains don't believe in God, only in souls? Could you elaborate on Jain God?