• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the greatest harm in holding a religious belief that is false?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
If that false belief is harmless, there is nothing wrong. If that false belief leads someone to harm themselves or others, it is harmful. If that false belief results in someone being kinder than they would have otherwise, it's of benefit.

How's that for my trick answer?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
If that false belief is harmless, there is nothing wrong. If that false belief leads someone to harm themselves or others, it is harmful. If that false belief results in someone being kinder than they would have otherwise, it's of benefit.

How's that for my trick answer?
That answer is okay but there is only one correct answer, kind if like on a multiple choice exam. :D

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Living a life that is based on a lie is one concern independent of all other variable.
From there it depends. Like with some religions it can lure people into a cult based on uncritical opinions of it from people admired. Like relatives or celebrities.
Sometimes the beliefs can teach them blind and baseless hate.
It also seems a concern that someone would believe something false.

Heyo

Veteran Member

Warning: This is a trick question. :D
(Strongly) believing a falsehood prevents one from seeking the truth. When you believe to have found the truth, you stop looking. When you aren't looking, you wouldn't recognize a better explanation when you stumble over it.

That is why believing things without evidence is detrimental to human progress. Agnosticism is common sense in its purest form. Withholding belief until enough data is available.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
That all depends upon what you consider harmful. ;)
Hint: There is harm to individuals and there is also harm to society.
Well, I suppose the greatest harm is a religious nutter who believes all the World follows Satan ............ and has a nuclear device of two.
Next to that is the suicide bomber.

But if you believe in fairies that's ok. :)

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

Warning: This is a trick question. :D
Thanks for the heads up, I love that... trick questions

Hurting your ego at the most

I would suggest to increase the ego harm till it drops 'dead':D

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
If that false belief leads someone to harm themselves or others, it is harmful. If that false belief results in someone being kinder than they would have otherwise, it's of benefit.
People can be kind to each other without any false belief.
Trying to propagate as false belief against other false beliefs creates friction.
Sorry, you are in the right ball park but you missed the ball. ;)
Kindly say what you want us to say without indulging in quizzes. What do we need to say so that we do not miss the ball even if we are in the ball park?
Funny, is not it? :D

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
(Strongly) believing a falsehood prevents one from seeking the truth. When you believe to have found the truth, you stop looking. When you aren't looking, you wouldn't recognize a better explanation when you stumble over it.
That is not exactly the answer I had in mind but it is so close that you get the door prize. :D
Believing a falsehood prevents one from knowing the truth. When you believe to have found the truth, you look no further

Answer: You will never know what the truth is.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Well, I suppose the greatest harm is a religious nutter who believes all the World follows Satan ............ and has a nuclear device of two.
Next to that is the suicide bomber.

But if you believe in fairies that's ok. :)
I just posted the answer to Heyo because he was so close. See above.