• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the greatest distance from dry land sea life has been observed?

Jonathan Bailey

I ask because some sea creatures depend on inland waters to reproduce and upon amphibious animals as seals for food so I would think they can't venture too far out to sea.

Think of the Pacific Ocean. It's the largest body of water on earth. Think of a point in this ocean that would be farthest from any dry land, any coastline, anywhere in the world. Can some observable sea life dwell even here? This would be Point Nemo in the south Pacific Ocean, 1,670 miles from the nearest land.

Last edited:

Darkforbid

'An estimated 50-80% of all life on earth is found under the ocean surface and the oceans contain 99% of the living space on the planet. Less than 10% of that space has been explored by humans. 85% of the area and 90% of the volume constitute the dark, cold environment we call the deep sea'

Jonathan Bailey

'An estimated 50-80% of all life on earth is found under the ocean surface and the oceans contain 99% of the living space on the planet. Less than 10% of that space has been explored by humans. 85% of the area and 90% of the volume constitute the dark, cold environment we call the deep sea'

There is no point on the surface of the earth one can get further from land than Point Nemo. My Google search reveals nothing of the sighting or documentation of sea life in that region.

Darkforbid

There is no point on the surface of the earth one can get further from land than Point Nemo. My Google search reveals nothing of the sighting or documentation of sea life in that region.

Yep, Point Nemo is located in what has been described as “the least biologically active region"

It's still not a life free dead zone

A Vestigial Mote

I ask because some sea creatures depend on inland waters to reproduce and upon amphibious animals as seals for food so I would think they can't venture too far out to sea.

Think of the Pacific Ocean. It's the largest body of water on earth. Think of a point in this ocean that would be farthest from any dry land, any coastline, anywhere in the world. Can some observable sea life dwell even here? This would be Point Nemo in the south Pacific Ocean, 1,670 miles from the nearest land.
Somebody apparently needs to watch "The Octonauts."

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I just watched this good Ted talk about finding life in the think mud in the deepest parts of the bottom of the ocean, far away from any light penetration and energy of the sun whatsoever. These creatures reproduce at an extremely slow rate, like over thousands of years, due to the small amount of energy available to them. Yet, they are there, where there should be nothing. Makes you rethink what we believe is necessary for life to exist.