• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the future of religion?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
What is the future of religion worldwide? In some countries, particularly in the West there has been a dramatic increase in secularism and decline in those identifying with traditional religious beliefs. However according to Pew research we're unlikley to see these trends worldwide in the next few decades. Paradoxically we will see an overall rise in the number of those who identify with some of the mainstream religions.

What is the current state of religion worldwide? Pew research has done some interesting studies and analysis that I'm sure has been discussed on RF before.

Christians are the largest religious group in 2015

So in 2015 Christianity was the largest religion in the world at 31% of the world's population with Islam 24%, Hinduism 15% and Buddhism 7%. So there is 77% of the world's population affiliated with four religions, and 55% of the world's population affiliated with either Christianity or Islam.

World’s largest religion by population is still Christianity

The future of religious affiliation in the next 50 years is likely to see Islam overtake Christainity as the largest world religion. If we take some of the projected figures from another Pew research analysis the numbers by 2050, just 30 years from now based on population growth and trends within each country, a clear picture emerges. The projected percentages of adherents sre: Christainity 31%, Islam 30%, Hinduism 15% and Buddhism 5%. So those four main religions now make up 81% of the worlds population with a clear predominance of both Christianity and Islam (61%).

The Future of World Religions: Population Growth Projections, 2010-2050

Does this analysis concur with your own perception of the changing demographics of the affiliation with the major religions? If not, why? More importantly, how might these changing demographics impact the state of the world and international relations in the decades to come?

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
More violence is something I'm afraid might happen depending on the nature of faith Islamic people will have.

I don't see these religions as being peaceful.

Christianity is far less violent. But I'm losing sight of what kind of Christianity is prevalent. Protestant? Catholic? Evangelical?

It's oppressive overall, with the exception of Hinduism, and Buddhism.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
What is the future of religion worldwide? In some countries, particularly in the West there has been a dramatic increase in secularism and decline in those identifying with traditional religious beliefs. However according to Pew research we're unlikley to see these trends worldwide in the next few decades. Paradoxically we will see an overall rise in the number of those who identify with some of the mainstream religions.

What is the current state of religion worldwide? Pew research has done some interesting studies and analysis that I'm sure has been discussed on RF before.

So in 2015 Christianity was the largest religion in the world at 31% of the world's population with Islam 24%, Hinduism 15% and Buddhism 7%. So there is 77% of the world's population affiliated with four religions, and 55% of the world's population affiliated with either Christianity or Islam.

The future of religious affiliation in the next 50 years is likely to see Islam overtake Christainity as the largest world religion. If we take some of the projected figures from another Pew research analysis the numbers by 2050, just 30 years from now based on population growth and trends within each country, a clear picture emerges. The projected percentages of adherents sre: Christainity 31%, Islam 30%, Hinduism 15% and Buddhism 5%. So those four main religions now make up 81% of the worlds population with a clear predominance of both Christianity and Islam (61%).

Does this analysis concur with your own perception of the changing demographics of the affiliation with the major religions? If not, why? More importantly, how might these changing demographics impact the state of the world and international relations in the decades to come?
According to my beliefs in the distant future there will be one common faith, but who believes what the Baha'is believe with their silly pipe dreams? :rolleyes:

“We desire but the good of the world and the happiness of the nations; yet they deem Us a stirrer up of strife and sedition worthy of bondage and banishment…. That all nations should become one in faith and all men as brothers; that the bonds of affection and unity between the sons of men should be strengthened; that diversity of religion should cease, and differences of race be annulled—what harm is there in this?… Yet so it shall be; these fruitless strifes, these ruinous wars shall pass away, and the ‘Most Great Peace’ shall come…. Yet do We see your kings and rulers lavishing their treasures more freely on means for the destruction of the human race than on that which would conduce to the happiness of mankind…. These strifes and this bloodshed and discord must cease, and all men be as one kindred and one family…. Let not a man glory in this, that he loves his country; let him rather glory in this, that he loves his kind….” Proclamation of Bahá’u’lláh, p. ix

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

many seek religious answers when they have a spiritual/mental crises. it was a Friday for me, Dec 21st 1990, i was 26 then. wondered if i would live to be 33.

the future of seekers daniel 12:4

if the seeker goes far enough they will be see religion as a human understanding of conscious compassion

the end came in strange way for me i woke up to the idea of consciousness everlasting. where time ends life everlasting begins.

we the children in service to the one infinite creator will be waiting and watching for you

Last edited:

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
According to my beliefs in the distant future there will be one common faith, but who believes what the Baha'is believe with their silly pipe dreams? :rolleyes:

Happy birthday @Trailblazer . We have the same birthdate but not year.

The Baha'i Faith has an estimated 5 - 8 million followers worldwide depending on what sources are being used. Although the numbers are growing rapidly overall, growth has been slow in the West. Islam is certainly growing faster worldwide. So it would be hard to see the Baha'i Fatih making too much impact numerically in the next 30 - 50 years. Beyond that, its really hard to make any meaningful assessment based on numerical analysis.

Baháʼí Faith by country - Wikipedia

Growth of religion - Wikipedia

Do you believe the Baha'i Faith wll be that one common faith, or the phrase 'one common faith' refers to the essential unity between religion based on a common origin (eg God)?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
More violence is something I'm afraid might happen depending on the nature of faith Islamic people will have.

I don't see these religions as being peaceful.

Christianity is far less violent. But I'm losing sight of what kind of Christianity is prevalent. Protestant? Catholic? Evangelical?

It's oppressive overall, with the exception of Hinduism, and Buddhism.

Do you see any positives from the growth of Islam and Christianity?

idea

Question Everything
I think the religious groups will keep changing their doctrines to better conform with reality through social pressures and just the plain and simple truths that are out there. It would be more interesting to map out the changing beliefs and doctrines, than to map out how many people are born into which families.

InvestigateTruth

It depends how far future. I personally believe, the one common faith will not happen during dispensation of Bahai Faith. If it happens, it will be after coming future manifestations.

Considering that every about a 1000 years, a Manifestation appears, and the Cycle of Baha'u'llah lasts 500,000 years, this tells us, humanity always needs guidance. It tells us, everytime a manifestation appears His teaching will be faded and another one must come to renew it. So, now, imagine if almost everyone on earth was a Bahai. How come when the next manifestation comes, He will He be rejected?
It would mean, that even if at that point everyone is a Bahai, still many of them will reject the next manifestation. It means, there will be again divisions at that time, some will be believers, and some disbelievers. This story will be always....

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Do you believe the Baha'i Faith will be that one common faith, or the phrase 'one common faith' refers to the essential unity between religion based on a common origin (eg God)?
I believe that the older religions will eventually be eliminated. I don't know when or how it will happen, but I do not see any value in them continuing to be believed, as they are outdated, and we have a new religion for this age, which will eventually be outdated and replaced as well.

I believe there will be one common faith in the future because that is what God ordained for the healing of all the world and what God ordains has to happen eventually.

“That which the Lord hath ordained as the sovereign remedy and mightiest instrument for the healing of all the world is the union of all its peoples in one universal Cause, one common Faith. This can in no wise be achieved except through the power of a skilled, an all-powerful and inspired Physician. This, verily, is the truth, and all else naught but error.” The Summons of the Lord of Hosts, p. 91

However, I do not believe that faith will necessarily be the Baha'i Faith, because by the time there is one common faith another Messenger might have come and established another religion, and who knows what it will be called? But I believe that from that time on, all new religions that are established will be one because people will want to remain one; so what I envision is one common faith that has a name change in every new age. :D

By the time this happens people will be so spiritually evolved that they will no longer be attached to a Messenger and a religion the way they are now, so it will be like everyone leaves the old ship and boards the new ship, when the new Messenger arrives.

Yeah, I know I am an optimist. ;)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Yikes! I don't! Maybe more moderate and more tolerant forms of these religions isn't all that bad. The doom religions or, the believe or else religions might fall by the wayside for more moderate forms of these religions.
I think Islam will eventually settle down and take its place after Christianity in terms of its violent present and past.

It seems Islam is still in its crusader phase, not unlike Christianity until it learns its lesson that it cannot be the top dog of the whole of humanity.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
What is the future of religion worldwide?

In the ancient past God used the Babylonians against His unfaithful people.
In the year 70 God used the Roman armies against unfaithful Jerusalem.
So, the pattern is set: God will use the political against unfaithful corrupted religions.
Since un-faithful Christendom claims to follow the God of the Bible then 'house cleaning', so to speak, will start with the House of God.
When the powers that be will be saying, " Peace and Security...." that will prove to be the precursor to the coming great tribulation of Revelation 7:14,9.
The first to go will be fake ' weed/tares' of Christendom, then the rest of corrupted religion.
However, the future is *bright* for those who are classed as figurative ' sheep ' at the soon coming time of separation on Earth as per Matthew 25:31-33,37.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I think the religious groups will keep changing their doctrines to better conform with reality through social pressures and just the plain and simple truths that are out there.
Religions want to do that so that can compete with other religions and keep up with the times but what results is that when they change what was originally revealed they get further and further away from what God revealed at which time they become a religion of man, no longer a religion of God.

A better solution to religion keeping up with changing times for people to embrace the religion that was revealed for the present age, which I believe is the Baha'i Faith.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I think Islam will eventually settle down and take its place after Christianity in terms of its violent present and past.

It seems Islam is still in its crusader phase, not unlike Christianity until it learns its lesson that it cannot be the top dog of the whole of humanity.

I can only imagine the kind of societies that will develope from the Islamic faith.

The Bible at least had the audacity to consider love as a way of life.

I never read the Qu'ran. But I hear that it has warring language in it with little to no peaceful resistance ideas in it. In that case they might have one lengthy crusade.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I think the religious groups will keep changing their doctrines to better conform with reality through social pressures and just the plain and simple truths that are out there............................

Even in political laws it allow for changes to be built in, but the Bible never changes.
Men's teachings about the Bible might change but Not the Bible itself. The Bible remains the same, always the same.
Jesus taught the plain and simple religious truths about his God and that Scripture is religious truth - John 17:17
Think: if everyone on Earth just lived by the Golden Rule to love neighbor as self what kind of world we would have. - Leviticus 19:18

idea

Question Everything
Even in political laws it allow for changes to be built in, but the Bible never changes.
Men's teachings about the Bible might change but Not the Bible itself. The Bible remains the same, always the same.
Jesus taught the plain and simple religious truths about his God and that Scripture is religious truth - John 17:17
Think: if everyone on Earth just lived by the Golden Rule to love neighbor as self what kind of world we would have. - Leviticus 19:18

The Bible has changed just as everything else has, with everyone making their own translations of it and leaving in and taking out what they want... Poor Tyndale, he thought if everyone could just read it everyone would agree on it.... I suppose that is the beauty of it too though, what parts of it are inspired (and I do not believe the entire thing is), lead to a great diversity of beliefs and interpretations just as any grand creator of this universe created a great diversity of creatures and religious groups.

Made by God vs. made by men. men love conformity. God - as shown by the creation - loves diversity. No two trees - no two leaves alike. as many scriptures and inspiring songs and people out there as there are leaves on trees, just as it was created to be.

idea

Question Everything
Religions want to do that so that can compete with other religions and keep up with the times but what results is that when they change what was originally revealed they get further and further away from what God revealed at which time they become a religion of man, no longer a religion of God.

A better solution to religion keeping up with changing times for people to embrace the religion that was revealed for the present age, which I believe is the Baha'i Faith.

Strange thing, in college new updated textbooks are more valuable than older out-of-date books... Fun to look back at the older books, but the newer ones are more valuable.

Some traditions are passed down because they do withstand the test of time, and these are valuable. Other traditions die - after sometimes painful realization of being wrong about something.

The age of a book or belief does not make it true....

the best teachers do not give students answers, just hints, and allow the students to explore and experience the wonders of discovery. Perhaps a Higher Power is doing the same.

MonkeyFire

A large influx of hippie spiritualism. I believe in a fusion of eastern and western religions in which homosexuality is ratified as un sinful, and drug use will be percieved a spiritual tool and or crutch. The key is the recession of violence, and hatred which will be labeled as demonic and sent to naught by inertia.