• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the Future of Religion? Will Religion Ever Disappear?

MPHJackson

Looking at the statistics, the answer seems to be no. But, many people are abandoning religion. Tell me, what do you think it will look like?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Religion isn't going to disappear because the basic brain modules that give us a predilection to at least some forms of religiosity are as hardwired into us as cognitive biases.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
This is a question asked of Baha'u'llah, Founder of the Baha'i Faith, by one of His followers.

"Once Varqá asked Bahá'u'lláh, 'How will the Cause of God be universally adopted by mankind?' Bahá'u'lláh said that first, the nations of the world would arm themselves with infernal engines of war, and when fully armed would attack each other like bloodthirsty beasts. As a result, there would be enormous bloodshed throughout the world. Then the wise from all nations would gather together to investigate the cause of such bloodshed. They would come to the conclusion that prejudices were the cause, a major form being religious prejudice. They would therefore try to eliminate religion so as to eliminate prejudice. Later they would realize that man cannot live without religion. Then they would study the teachings of all religions to see which of the religions conformed to the prevailing conditions of the time. It is then that the Cause of God would become universal."

lovesong

:D
Premium Member
A number of thinkers have prophesied the end of religion as we grow more rational as a society, but here we stand long after Nietzsche said that god is dead, seeing that really it's only Nietzsche who is dead.
In all seriousness though, like @Sunstone said, it's hardwired into us. It'll shift and evolve but religion isn't going anywhere until we do.

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist
Looking at the statistics, the answer seems to be no. But, many people are abandoning religion. Tell me, what do you think it will look like?

It's doubtful for religion or belief in the supernatural to disappear, at least for a good while, but it'll die down significantly.
It'll sort of be like how you see the ruins of a previous kingdom within a modernized country, I'm guessing.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
as a rogue theologian.......I have no religion
no congregation and no one follows me

even so...I hope to be one of the few

Last edited:

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
According to the Bible, all religions who promote false teachings, regardless of denomination or origin will be eliminated.

There is one true faith that will never die or be forced into compromise.....this will survive and be the world's only remaining religion....the one practiced by Adam and his wife before they got kicked out of the garden.

arthra

Baha'i

Organized religion may becoming less popular but spirituality is still wide spread... so to me this means there may well be an "exodus" from many traditional churches but the spiritual quest is still very strong. It's also true that in many areas there is a more cosmopolitan field to choose from.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Belief in one God I believe will be the new religion regardless of which religion one professes and even Buddhism I believe one day will come to the realisation of one ultimate reality as Buddha put it 'the unborn, uncreated'. When they learn Who Amitabha really is and find that Maitreya has returned and teaches the oneness of God not what they understand currently they will come around if they still accept that Buddha will return.

To maintain the status quo however, every religion keeps putting off the coming of their 'Promised One'. (How very convenient)

Baha'is are saying He's come and there's no running away from it and eventually sincere people everywhere will come around. It's just a matter of time.

Skwim

Veteran Member
No, it will not disappear any time soon. But hopefully it will become more rational, less dogmatic and less theistic.
As long as there are those who wish to control others and profit by it, and there are people looking for reassurances and comfort, religion will be around. And the amazing thing is that the product doesn't even have to be coherent or make sense.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Religion isn't going to disappear because the basic brain modules that give us a predilection to at least some forms of religiosity are as hardwired into us as cognitive biases.
It is also one of the best controlling and money making scams invented by man.
Just look at Scientology; the Catholic Church too is hardly poor.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
That's one of the major problems with religion today. We have billions of religious people but they serve no use whatsoever to humanity. The poor and starving still are poor and starving. If the world were truly religious I don't believe we would have poverty or wars so what we do have according to my understanding, is a lot of dead religions masquerading as true religion, but powerless to address the real problems of today. They have the means but not the spiritual willpower.

Laika

Premium Member

The extinction of religious belief is not impossible, but it is definetely not an immediate prospect. In reality, it would require that all religious beliefs be suplanted by a radical atheistic ideology in order for this to happen. Religion serves a variety of functions which make it necessary in some form, but there is no reason a secular eqivilent could not also answer questions on morality, our response to death and our existential desire for "meaning". If an atheistic ideology could provide emotionally fulfilling answers to those questions and be superior to religions in using reason, science and evidence to establish the truth, I see no reason why such a worldview shouldn't spread. (If a religion could do that, the reverse may also be true in winning converts.)

Historically, that would probably closely resemble a cult as an explosion of messianic and millennial beliefs, probably combined with a deep ideological and intellectual crisis "blamed" on religion to make it necessary and with the same propensity for violence, war and persecution as the most "rational" approach to achieving the goal of elminiating religion. I'm not convinced that is desirable personally, only possible.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Mistrust towards religion is sky high and it's understandable with terrorism and child sexual abuse going on. I think priesthood will die out all across the planet as more and more priests, monks, clergy are exposed for misuse of trust.

I think it will take centuries to win back the trust of people who have been misled into wars, hatred and violence in the name of religion and trust will never regained through dialogue but through deeds. Humanity is sick of hypocrites and wants real love and brotherhood or nothing, but certainly not just religious zeal and fanatical sentiment.

People's lives need to be enriched and feel happy and contented. If religion cannot create a loving peaceful society people will continue abandoning it and seek elsewhere for their fulfilment.

Jedster

For me the poetry of Kabir says it all. Kabir was very critical about organised religion. His religion was life itself.
When he was asked "What is your religion?", he said "My religion is the religion that existed before there was any religion".

An excellent read that covers his poetry and his alleged history is
Kabir: The Weaver's Song (Penguin Classics)

Enjoy(if you do read it). Jedster

Limo

Islam is recording the highest no of conversion from other religions and atheists

So, Islam is not going to disappear, it's growing.