• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the "final goal" in Judaism?

I'm hoping someone can help me. I was wondering, in Judaim, what is the final goal for the path that Jews take?, like, I mean, in Buddhim, Buddhists want to achieve Nirvana, Hindus wish to attain liberation from the cycle of birth, death and rebirth, Chrisians wish to attain Salvation (however it is defined, as some Christians groups have different views on it), some Wiccans believe in reincarnating until you learn all that you need to, and then move on to another level (or join with The Divine, or The Goddess, again, depending on your beliefs), etc, but, what do Jews hope for?.

I've read that Judasm differs with certain traditions, like Hinduism, Christianity and Islam, in that, in those mystical tradition, the individual hopes to unite with God, or be absorped into him, destroying any vestige of the individual, but, in Jewish mysticism, I've read it's believed that humans can't join with God, completely anyway, and that you still retain your individualiy, but, is that true?, would the Prophecies of the World to Come correspond with something lIke Nirvana - freedom from suffering, or Union with God, or whatever, or would it be something else?.

Thanks for any help at all (I also hope this did make some sense too).

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!
Judaism doesn't teach as much about the afterlife as it does about the current one. Our ultimate goal is the repair of this world. That is done in this life. In the afterlife, we believe that there is justice, but opinions vary as to what happens or doesn't happen. Further, I don't consider it particularly relevant, considering that Judaism focuses on this live, instead of the next.