• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the end of religious worship and the purpose?

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
it is to confront yourself, and reckon up with who you are according to a perfect justice.

arthra

Baha'i
In the Baha'i Faith we have various references to "worship" that may be of interest here. I'll post a few of them:

"He bids us worship in fearless loyalty to our own faith, but with ever stronger yearning after Union, Brotherhood, and Love; so turning ourselves in Spirit, and with our whole heart, that we may enter more into the mind of God, which is above class, above race, and beyond time."

(Abdu'l-Baha, Abdu'l-Baha in London, p. 34)

"Bahá'u'lláh had also in His writings given a most important place to Art, and the practice of skilled trades. He had stated that the practice of an Art or Trade in the true spirit of service was identical with the worship of God."

(Abdu'l-Baha, Abdu'l-Baha in London, p. 71)

"Work done in the spirit of service is the highest form of worship."

(Abdu'l-Baha, Divine Philosophy, p. 83)

Jumi

The end of worship is either death or disillusionment without peer pressure. Purpose, I think every religion that has worship required states their own purposes.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I take Gandhi's position on this in that I think the main purpose of worship is for us to stop and contemplate what's morally correct and how to implement it in our lives. IOW, it's probably more for us than it is for God.

DavidFirth

Praising God with love and thankfulness is worship. We also gather together in worship to strengthen our faith and encourage each other.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The purpose? First and foremost, a reminder to count one's blessings and express gratitude. It honors that which is sacred and valued in our lives, which in turn helps cultivate a positive and healthy relationship with the gods.