• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the difference?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
As a muslim i often hear non muslims complaining about muslim woman wearing hijab.

But why is it no problem when a western female cover her head with a scarf?

Why the big harasment of islam when if we look at history mostly all females was cocering up their hair. Especially within religious practice.

Sometimes non muslims even know why islam still practice use of hijab for female? Did you know that hijab means to be modest both for male and females?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I've never understood the hatred of the hijab. I think it's just since it's seen as foreign.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
As a muslim i often hear non muslims complaining about muslim woman wearing hijab.

Why the big harasment of islam when if we look at history mostly all females was cocering up their hair. Especially within religious practice.

Sometimes non muslims even know why islam still practice use of hijab for female? Did you know that hijab means to be modest both for male and females?
I think the issue is that in many Moslem societies it is compulsory - not a matter of personal choice

I think if it wasn't mandatory then there'd be much less of an issue with it

But it isn't

That's the thing

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I think the issue is that in many Moslem societies it is compulsory - not a matter of personal choice

I think if it wasn't mandatory then there'd be much less of an issue with it

But it isn't

That's the thing
Mandatory for muslim woman, or for every woman?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Mandatory for muslim woman, or for every woman?
There should be no compulsion in religion

I feel sorry for those women who are only nominally moslem or who don't really believe it - there is a ton of cultural pressure for such people to conform

There should be a choice

But in most cases I don't think there is

People should be free to not practice a religion, but in reality they aren't

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

I feel sorry for those women who are only nominally moslem or who don't really believe it - there is a ton of cultural pressure for such people to conform

There should be a choice

They are free according to islam, but yes you have muslims who try to force both male and females to be "muslims"

You be muslim means to practice islam, but unfortunatly if you are born in a "muslim country" it seems like you have to be muslim. And that is not correct practice

darkskies

There should be a choice

I partly agree. There can be compulsion in religion but what matters more to the girl herself should be her own choice. Cultural pressure is inevitable. It just shouldn't be limiting to a level of taboo as it is in many countries.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
The Quran clearly instructs women to cover themselves. That is obviously going to be enforced.
Yes the quran do say it is correct practice for a female to cover their hair. To not create temptation for men. And to dress modesty

As a muslim man i should not even look at a woman on the street, because she is not for me :) and if she speak to me, eye-contact should be avoided

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Every society has clothing norms according to what it considers decent and moral. In the same way you don't wear your pyjamas or a bikini to work. Islam is its own kind of society and thus comes with dress rules.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Yes the quran do say it is correct practice for a female to cover their hair. To not create temptation for men. And to dress modesty

As a muslim man i should not even look at a woman on the street, because she is not for me :) and if she speak to me, eye-contact should be avoided
I suspect that this is one of the reasons people have a problem with it.
The reason for the command for females to cover up is nothing more than to keep men from having unclean thoughts.
Interesting that Allah can not simply command men to behave themselves.

exchemist

Veteran Member

Do you really hear complaints about the hijab? I would have thought most objections would be to the burqa or the veil, not the hijab. But it is true that in some contexts, e.g. French schools, the wearing of overt religious symbols is forbidden, due to their policy of laïcité.

exchemist

Veteran Member

That is a ridiculous requirement and one that cuts women off from half of society.

The very notion that to make eye contact is a sexual advance is prehistorically stupid.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you really hear complaints about the hijab? I would have thought most objections would be to the burqa or the veil, not the hijab. But it is true that in some contexts, e.g. French schools, the wearing of overt religious symbols is forbidden, due to their policy of laïcité.
My dad literally uses the word 'hijab' as an insult :facepalm:

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
One of the problems I have seen is that it appears most people (at least here in the USA) do not know there is a difference between a hijab, burqa, niqab, al-amira, shayla, khimar, and chador.

So they refer to all of them as hijab...

For those interested in the differences:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

I have no problem with a Muslim woman wearing a hijab or a western woman wearing a scarf over their head if that is their choice.

The problem I have with it is indoctrination to wear one, and the subsequent ridicule, and scorn for choosing to not wear such things. In my opinion, a person should be free to dress as they will.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member

It's not the headcoverings--it's people throwing acid at women who don't conform. It should never be expected. If the women are continually voluntarily covering themselves up all the time, then the men of the society should be ashamed that the women feel so unsafe around men. Saying it's OK to rape women that "your right hand possesses" does not help matters at all. (Both the rape part and the slavery part.)

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I have no problem with a Muslim woman wearing a hijab or a western woman wearing a scarf over their head if that is their choice.

The problem I have with it is indoctrination to wear one, and the subsequent ridicule, and scorn for choosing to not wear such things. In my opinion, a person should be free to dress as they will

That is not even true in most western countries.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Women should not be expected to be obedient to men. Beating disobedient women is a sign of weakness. Everyone should have their daughters take martial arts/self defense classes.