• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the difference?

Starsoul

Truth
Hi there,

little differences, but not of the importance regarding being included in one's study of the Quran and sunnah( the life of the Prophet), not something you couldn't do without, and not something that you would be able to understand, unless you're aware of the basics of Islam. Which one is it, and may I ask why would you like to know? Is it a general question or a specific one?

What is the difference between Sunni and Shia?

What I read in history books , the first reason for division was political and not religions. Some people want Hazrat Ali R.A to be the leader of muslim rule or might be they think that only the decends of Prophet Muhammad salalhualiwasalam has the right to rule , they called them self Shian Ali, that means lovers of Ali.

On other hand some other muslims opinion as Prophet Muhammad salalahualiwasalm never appointed some one nor he ordered such thing so their opinion was to give rule to the best person chosen my majority of muslims.

This difference lead to then more difference and then so much that what I read even caused wars.

This is what i read in history books and if you actually read Quran you will find that making sect is strickly prohibited and against Islam.

IsmailaGodHasHeard

I am still confused. Which one believes that religious leader should be chosen based on being related to Muhammad and which one believes that they should be chosen otherwise?

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer
Has the Sunni-Shia division got anything to do with the fact that the Arabs who got converted to Islam became Sunni and the Persians who got converted to Islam became Shia? That is, a case of Islam splitting along the lines of nationalism?

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It started as a political division which later on developed into a fully sectarian religious division.

ConfusedKuri

Has the Sunni-Shia division got anything to do with the fact that the Arabs who got converted to Islam became Sunni and the Persians who got converted to Islam became Shia? That is, a case of Islam splitting along the lines of nationalism?

Why do you believe the majority of Shia are Persian? There is a lot of Pakistanis/Indians and even Arabs who are Shiite, as far as I'm concerned it has nothing to do with nationalism.

ConfusedKuri

I am a Shia Muslimah and what you tell me is simply something I have NEVER heard from anybody who is a fellow Shiite. We believe the Qur'an is 100% sahih , perfect and complete.

Starsoul

Truth
@confused kuri, I would like to think that you're right but then I have heard several shia well known respected authorities hinting subtly that it 'might' have been changed , ofcorse I myself have never heard a regular shia say this themselves. But if they do believe this, this is clear misguidance, something they can never prove, and something which goes against the entire core of Islam.

Shia's core beliefs are the same as sunnis, its just that they give far too much importance to the imams, as far as even attempting to dis-respect the key companions of the Prophet Muhammad saww. Most of the rituals involved in the show of shia-ism are something that have been clearly admonished against in the hadith, like self mutilation, excessive rituals regarding the imams, so much that they openly admit that we call upon Imam Ali for help,( not Allah but yes he is our helper from Allah so the link : p) whenever we are in need, since he is the only one who helps us, and Imam mahdi exists in ghaib and helps us from ghaib( hiding). They usually have no satisfactory reply when asked that, why do they do something that the Prophet never did, never asked of to be done, never ever hinted at, and they just say that we respect his family more than you guys, so we will do extra stuff and all etc.

As for misiyar marriage, it is (WAS)considered a normal marriage untill recently,but even then it required witnesses, required haq mahar, and allowed the husband and wife to adjust their lives in accord with Islamic principles, if their economic circumstances were quite tough. But the thing is that most scholars have retracted their position on it long ago, and it is considered makruh now ( displeasing) in Islam, something Islam is against, the scholar who had come up with this allowance did so in view of certain circumstances in certain pressing situations, but even he has retracted his position now. This is what I know, but you can search for it.

On the other hand, muta in its present form looks like an open gateway to in-appropriate indulgences without any account or remorse, it seems sick :( No formal nikah, no witnesses, no respect, just a mutual consent for .... and then goodbye, never show me your face again...what really is the difference between illicit relationships and muta, shia scholars have a very astonishing arrogant calm over this question. Most shia women I know do not accept it , but men, well, don't even ask. Just an opinion, I do not wish to indulge in debate over this, atleast in this thread.

ConfusedKuri

I do not feel like commenting on any of your post starsoul, you're already prejudiced towards Shiites like the majority of Sunnis/Salafis is, there is no need for me to prove anything or explain our beliefs further, your "Shia" accquaintances have already given you enough reason to hold on to your opinion.

Starsoul

Truth
I do not feel like commenting on any of your post starsoul, you're already prejudiced towards Shiites like the majority of Sunnis/Salafis is, there is no need for me to prove anything or explain our beliefs further, your "Shia" accquaintances have already given you enough reason to hold on to your opinion.

Indeed they have, and they openly talk about it, without even being asked for it. They maintain that they worship Allah, and they feel that they take Islam a step further than it was, meaning to imply that Islam wasn't completed as a religion/practise and a dogma as the Prophet declared many times , (since their ancestors have added many persian rituals in it and given them the name of shia Islam, which offcorse they deny, but read the persian culture and their rituals and match them with shia-ites, little difference, with that they nazar everything for imams, and the persians nazar-ed their stuff for their favorite personalities/gods etc)The Prophet never nazar-ed anything for any human, and neither did he allow for things to be nazar -ed in his name, why do the imams have to be nazr-ed, just give the food away to poor people, why add a ritualistic fervour to it?)

And despite the Prophet's admonishing that none can be added to the religion, even if it appears as an offshoot, there is no room for more rituals and practices in this religion than 'I have been shown and I have conveyed to people,' It was all completed in His life. And sorry but this isn't prejuidice, I am friends with many shia people, infact I am surrounded by them, these are their views, maybe you have different views, but these are the popular views.

Also, shia-sm started off as only a political difference, there were no more differences in practices between them and the others, BUT with time, as with all bidahs, things keep on getting added and now the rituals have totally over taken their beliefs. If you are a shia, you must know how religiously active these people are, they have religious gatherings all round the year, with scholars repeating the Imam hussain R.A event ALL the time, all they talk about is Imam Hussain, and how he died, repeatedly. I asked my shia friend once about the Messengers of Allah and the main stories of the Quran, she had no idea about it and said she embarrassed and realized that the story of Imam hussain and karbala is the only top story of their gatherings, they know not much about the rest. Anyhow this is a normal shia disposition, I'm sure there are those who learn more, but I will say what I know to be true according to what I have always come across.

Last edited:

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Indeed they have, and they openly talk about it, without even being asked for it. They maintain that they worship Allah, and they feel that they take Islam a step further than it was, meaning to imply that Islam wasn't completed as a religion/practise and a dogma as the Prophet declared many times , (since their ancestors have added many persian rituals in it and given them the name of shia Islam, which offcorse they deny, but read the persian culture and their rituals and match them with shia-ites, little difference, with that they nazar everything for imams, and the persians nazar-ed their stuff for their favorite personalities/gods etc)The Prophet never nazar-ed anything for any human, and neither did he allow for things to be nazar -ed in his name, why do the imams have to be nazr-ed, just give the food away to poor people, why add a ritualistic fervour to it?)

And despite the Prophet's admonishing that none can be added to the religion, even if it appears as an offshoot, there is no room for more rituals and practices in this religion than 'I have been shown and I have conveyed to people,' It was all completed in His life. And sorry but this isn't prejuidice, I am friends with many shia people, infact I am surrounded by them, these are their views, maybe you have different views, but these are the popular views.

Also, shia-sm started off as only a political difference, there were no more differences in practices between them and the others, BUT with time, as with all bidahs, things keep on getting added and now the rituals have totally over taken their beliefs. If you are a shia, you must know how religiously active these people are, they have religious gatherings all round the year, with scholars repeating the Imam hussain R.A event ALL the time, all they talk about is Imam Hussain, and how he died, repeatedly. I asked my shia friend once about the Messengers of Allah and the main stories of the Quran, she had no idea about it and said she embarrassed and realized that the story of Imam hussain and karbala is the only top story of their gatherings, they know not much about the rest. Anyhow this is a normal shia disposition, I'm sure there are those who learn more, but I will say what I know to be true according to what I have always come across.

Label it what you will, Starsoul, but Sunnis do the same thing, only with the Prophet himself. Have you ever been to a "salaami"? Have you listened to a lot of nasheeds? There are many that raise the Prophet to an almost God-like status.

Qur'an has said that our religion is complete with the Qur'an itself; Sunnis have made Hadith almost as important as Qur'an...if people don't see that this happens, then they're in denial.

I'm sick and tired of pointing out all our differences. We're all Muslims, so let's act like it.

ConfusedKuri

Not only the prophet they even do that with the Sahabah, if you dare criticising them, you're already committing a grave sin -.- according to extremists...But now she'll probably point out how that's all bid3ah and shirk too, how misguided these Muslims are etc.

Starsoul, I will say it again, there's nothing I could add, you have your views on Shiites and judging from all your posts you are not going to change it.

Plus I'm probably not the right sort of Muslim either, as I'm the one who openly tried to "denounce Islam" and keep on "bashing Muslims", apart from that I guess my lifestyle is way too "shameless", so you would not listen to me.

Starsoul

Truth
I dont know, I haven't been to a salaami, I dont even know what it is, neither do i listen to nasheeds much, I only like listening to the Quran. : )

As, for my post, I am in no way secluding all muslims from shiities but this thread is about them. I made a post in response to the few posters, since initially I had no intention of getting into the differences, all school of thoughts consider shia as muslims, but yes there are many differences of opinions among them and the mainstream Islam, or the sunni Islam as they say. There are a few minor school of thoughts who insist on hadith more and I hardly come across them, when you stick close to the basics, and ask for Allah's guidance continuously and sincerely, you will be safe hands. And I am not into the mehfils and rituals that are not there in the Quran and hadith literature, if there are any that any of you have come across in any group, I guess I just haven't come across them so much.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
** Mod Post **

This thread has been moved to Same Faith Debates

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Qur'an has said that our religion is complete with the Qur'an itself; Sunnis have made Hadith almost as important as Qur'an...if people don't see that this happens, then they're in denial.

Well, i just want to point out 2 things:

1- Quran itself mentioned the sunnah of the Prophet.
2- Shi'a follow hadiths too, not only sunnis, but they just follow specific type of hadiths aside from what sunnis believe in and follow.

I'm sick and tired of pointing out all our differences. We're all Muslims, so let's act like it.

Indeed, we are Muslims and our conversations should be just for the sake of educating each other and sharing, not accusing or bashing each other.

Last edited:

asa120

in my point of view sunna are the main road because it capture evry think of islam
1 we all love mohamed and we all love all of his family and we all use suna of him and ppl of his house
1 sunisme laws and practice is based on quran and suna of mohamed and suna of his folowers and suna of his family than al ijmaa with 12 imams including imam ali wish is e lot more correct
2 shisiem laws and practice is based on quran and suna of mohamed and suna of his family *
thy are greate but thy are shorter than sunna al imam ali
the 3 main diffrence is imams place for sunisme thy are good man but just man where in shia thy are almoste like profets and untill now thy have paste e lot of wrong ruls that contradict with quran and sunna and add a lot of think that thy are wrong like pleasure marriage marriage and e lot of other ruls

asa120

the probleme with shisme and sunnisme the crimes that shia accuse mohamed folowers
shiisme imams accuse aycha mother of belivers poisining mohamed i see it in e video and it make me soo scared to accuse her of such e think
2 shiisme imams accuse abou bakre and omar of taking the rulling of muslims but the truth mohamed left it shura and if mohamed wont ali to rule he will just left it with him and even thy go and say that thy beat fatima once ;imagine!!!!
thise accuses is point of e huge probleme between shia and suna and untill now stillthise prbleme

but normal shia dont see it because if thise idias go out ot the publique it will crach shisme and sunisme and it will end shisime so thy hide it