• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what is the difference between...

waitasec

Veteran Member
i am going to hope for good things.

and

i am going to pray for good things.

:shrug:

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

and

:shrug:

One's a Hail Mary (forgive the expression) to the universe. The other is a Hail Mary to some deity.

Hail Mary, full of grace.
Our Lord is with you.
Blessed are you among women,
and blessed is the fruit of your womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
pray for us sinners,
now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

BobbyisStrange

The Adversary
Hope is something we have a desire for. We want it to happen for us…I hope for a million dollars, I hope for a better job, I hope I don’t die on the way home from work.
Faith is a little different.
Faith is a tad different…with faith one excepts the outcome as the better…I have cancer, I hope to get better, if I don’t I have faith God’s will shall be done to what he sees best.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Hope is something we have a desire for. We want it to happen for us…I hope for a million dollars, I hope for a better job, I hope I don’t die on the way home from work.
Faith is a little different.
Faith is a tad different…with faith one excepts the outcome as the better…I have cancer, I hope to get better, if I don’t I have faith God’s will shall be done to what he sees best.

we all hope for the better....

don't we?

BobbyisStrange

The Adversary
Where the meaning of "pray" has been secularized, there is no difference.

WILLAMENA!!!! One of my favorite people to talk to...You honestly don’t think there is a difference between hope and faith???

An earthquake happens and 500 people are trapped inside...There isn’t a difference between saying, I sure hope they are alright and saying I have faith that they are alright???

Having hope that someone is alright is not the same as knowing they are alright through faith.

Last edited:

waitasec

Veteran Member

i was talking to a mom at my sons school the other day and she off handedly mentioned she was going to pray for a good out come....
i responded with, yes lets hope for the best...

waitasec

Veteran Member
where the meaning of the word "pray" isn't secularized there is a difference, then ultimately, it's really only a matter of opinion that there is a difference.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

and

I think there can be value in communal affirmation and many prayers take this form. That said, while I have no problem with something like ...
Oh God, let there be peace.
I would be every bit as happy with ...
Let us affirm our desire for peace.
and, in fact, have a mild preference for the latter.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Depends on the prayer I guess, but essentially it's a form of action: petitioning the Divine for intervention, as opposed to hope, which is essentially just doing nothing.

petitioning to the divine is still an act of hope though as the end result is still unknown.

these are both words that have equal value when it comes to action

waitasec

Veteran Member
I think there can be value in communal affirmation and many prayers take this form. That said, while I have no problem with something like ...
Oh God, let there be peace.
I would be every bit as happy with ...
Let us affirm our desire for peace.in fact, have a mild preference for the latter.

i agree. for me it is a straightforward sentiment

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
petitioning to the divine is still an act of hope though as the end result is still unknown.

It is as much an act of hope as writing your congressman, but at least it's an act. Hoping is doing absolutely nothing.

BobbyisStrange

The Adversary

I guess when you petition to the divine faith then comes into play. I still say there is a huge difference between hope and faith based praying.

Perhaps its like faith vs. belief...In order to have faith you must believe...however you can believe without faith...

I have never been to California, but I believe California exists...I don’t have faith it does.

So maybe hope causes someone to pray..However you don’t have to pray, have faith or petition to a deity to have hope.

Last edited: