• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the difference between Wahabbi, Salafi, Qutbist, Deobandi and Hanafi Sunnis???

ronki23

I'm trying to understand the differences between the types of Sunni Islam that extremists follow. Al Qaeda I supposed to be Qutbist but they claim they're Salafi, Taliban are Deobandi. But what about Wahabbism? What do Hamas believe in? I assume ISIS is Qutb as well

Farrukh

here in Pakistan, Muslims who don't worship graves and don't indulge in polytheistic acts such as calling dead saint for help are known as Wahabi.

Zindik

Here it is :

Wahhabi is Al Nabi Al Ahmadz SAW .

Quthubist : the ex of it is Abdul Hakim bin Amir Abdat .

Deobandi is not Sufisme, Naqshabandi is .

Hanafi Sunnis : Hanafi is Mazhab not Sunni .

Thank Thee Very Much .

Ellen Brown

I'm trying to understand the differences between the types of Sunni Islam that extremists follow. Al Qaeda I supposed to be Qutbist but they claim they're Salafi, Taliban are Deobandi. But what about Wahabbism? What do Hamas believe in? I assume ISIS is Qutb as well

Much of Palestine is Shia, hence Hamas is Shia. Iraq is 60% Shia, with Sunni, Christian and others mixed in. There used to be lots of Mandeans in Southern Iraq.

Jedster

Much of Palestine is Shia, hence Hamas is Shia. Iraq is 60% Shia, with Sunni, Christian and others mixed in. There used to be lots of Mandeans in Southern Iraq.

According to all reports , Hamas is Sunni.
Here's just one example from Wiki.
Hamas (Arabic: حماس Ḥamās, an acronym of حركة المقاومة الاسلامية Ḥarakat al-Muqāwamah al-ʾIslāmiyyah Islamic Resistance Movement) is a Palestinian Sunni-Islamist fundamentalist organization.

Ellen Brown

According to all reports , Hamas is Sunni.
Here's just one example from Wiki.
Hamas (Arabic: حماس Ḥamās, an acronym of حركة المقاومة الاسلامية Ḥarakat al-Muqāwamah al-ʾIslāmiyyah Islamic Resistance Movement) is a Palestinian Sunni-Islamist fundamentalist organization.

That does not seem right but it may be. Is that from a book or did a Sunni tell you this?

It has always been troubling to me that Sunni and Shia have been enemies for over 1400 years. They never get over it. The Mormons squabble over the same issue but only about 170 years. The Catholics and the Orthodox have squabble for a very long time but I forget the issue.

Jedster

That does not seem right but it may be. Is that from a book or did a Sunni tell you this?

It has always been troubling to me that Sunni and Shia have been enemies for over 1400 years. They never get over it. The Mormons squabble over the same issue but only about 170 years. The Catholics and the Orthodox have squabble for a very long time but I forget the issue.

Well, for as long as I remember, Hamas has always been referred to as Sunni and Hizbola as Shia.
Try googling "Is Hamas Sunni".
'

Hamas is a branch of The Muslim Brotherhood in Palestine. The Muslim Brotherhood are a branch from the Freemasons in the Muslim lands. Al-Qa'eda, Taliban, ISIS, The Muslim Brotherhood, Sayyed Qutb was a Takfiri, Boko Haram and all those groups are from one main sect called the Khawaarij. This also includes the Shi'ah. As all these groups have one common belief, that the blood of the Muslim is permissible to spill, so they wage war against Islam and its people.

The Deoband are a branch of the Hanifi sect...which is a deviant sect attributed to Imam Abu Hanifah. The Hanifis are generally Sufis. The Naqshbaandiyyah are Mushrikeen (polytheists).

The term Wahhaabi is associated with anyone that takes their religious understanding form Imam ibn Abdul Wahhabs work. The reason he is hated by most other sects is because he got rid of their grave worshipping, idolatry, worship of men and the Shi'ah who are also Mushrikeen. No one calls their self Wahaabi. This is a pejorative used by Ahlul Bid'ah waHawa (The People of Innovation and misguidance and desires) to attack those who adhere to the way of the Prophet Muhammad, which is the core of Islam, Tawheed Monotheism) and the rejection of all that negates Tawheed, Shirk.

Salafiyyah or Minhajus Salafiyyah is the methodology by which the religion is understood and practiced. The Salaf or Salafus Saleh are The Pious Predecessors (the first three generations of Muslims). The Salafi is someone who adheres strictly to the Qur'an and the Sunnah of the Prophet as was understood by his Sahabah (companions) and all those who follow them. This is where the term Salafi comes from, and it is meant to represent only a methodology or way of understanding and applying the religion. People have corrupted this and created sects calling it things like The Salafi, but this is null and void as this negates the understanding of the Shabah. Imam Abu Hanifah is from among the Salaf, he was not a Hanafi, technically speaking, he was a Salafi because he adhered to the Qur'an and Sunnah as was understood by the Sahabah.

There is obviously much more to this, but the reality is that the deviants in Islam, use anything to obscure the truth in order to mislead the people away from Allah and His Messenger and the rightly guided Sahabah.

People will always negate this and bring example of ignorant people ascribing themselves to Salafiyyah, but, to people who are sincere and have a modicum of knowledge and understanding, which in reality is a blessing from Allah, then their attempts are weak at best.

These all fall under the group Sunni, except for the Shi'ah and many of the Sufi groups since they totally contradict the Sunnah and the Khawaarij as a whole are dogs of the Hellfire as per the authentic hadeeth of the Prophet, the scholar Shaykh Saleh al-Fawzan from the Kibaarul Ulema holds the opinion that the Khawaarij are disbelievers along with the whole of the Rawafidh Shi'ah. Sunni is supposed to be someone that adheres to the Sunnah of Allah's Messenger on the most basic level.

Last edited:

Ellen Brown

Hamas is a branch of The Muslim Brotherhood in Palestine. The Muslim Brotherhood are a branch from the Freemasons in the Muslim lands. Al-Qa'eda, Taliban, ISIS, The Muslim Brotherhood, Sayyed Qutd was a Takfiri, Boko Haram and all those groups are from one main sect called the Khawaarij. This also includes the Shi'ah. As all these groups have one common belief, that the blood of the Muslim is permissible to spill, so they wage war against Islam and its people.

The Deoband are a branch of the Hanifi sect...which is a deviant sect attributed to Imam Abu Hanifah. The Hanifis are generally Sufis. The Naqshbaandiyyah are Mushrikeen (polytheists).

The term Wahhaabi is associated with anyone that takes their religion form Imam ibn Abdul Wahhab. The reason he is hated by most other sects is because he got rid of their grave worshipping, idolatry, worship of men and the Shi'ah who are also Mushrikeen. No one calls their self Wahaabi. This is a pejorative used by Ahlul Bid'ah waHawa (The People of Innovation and misguidance and desires) to attack those who adhere to the way of the Prophet Muhammad, which is the core of Islam, Tawheed Monotheism) and the rejection of all that negates Tawheed, Shirk.

Salafiyyah or Minhajus Salafiyyah is the methodology by which the religion is understood and practiced. The Salaf or Salafus Saleh are The Pious Predecessors (the first three generations of Muslims). The Salafi is someone who adheres strictly to the Qur'an and the Sunnah of the Prophet as was understood by his Sahabah (companions) and all those who follow them. This is where the term Salafi comes from, and it is meant to represent only a methodology or way of understanding and applying the religion. People have corrupted this and created sects calling it things like The Salafi, but this is null and void as this negates the understanding of the Shabah. Imam Abu Hanifah is from among the Salaf, he was not a Hanafi, technically speaking, he was a Salafi because he adhered to the Qur'an and Sunnah as was understood by the Sahabah.

There is obviously much more to this, but the reality is that the deviants in Islam, use anything to obscure the truth in order to mislead the people away from Allah and His Messenger and the rightly guided Sahabah.

People will always negate this and bring example of ignorant people ascribing themselves to Salafiyyah, but, to people who are sincere and have a modicum of knowledge and understanding, which in reality is a blessing from Allah, then their attempts are weak at best.

These all fall under the group Sunni, except for the Shi'ah and many of the Sufi groups since they totally contradict the Sunnah and the Khawaarij as a whole are dogs of the Hellfire as per the authentic hadeeth of the Prophet, the scholar Shaykh Saleh al-Fawzan from the Kibaarul Ulema holds the opinion that the Khawaarij are disbelievers along with the whole of the Rawafidh Shi'ah. Sunni is supposed to be someone that adheres to the Sunnah of Allah's Messenger on the most basic level.

As Salaam Alaikum:

I am not a good Muslim by any stretch of the word. However I believe in Allah SWT and the Prophet Muhammad PBUH and do the best that I can. It is late here and I plan to return to this post later to study it more. Mashallah, this seems to be very well thought out and I thank you for it.

As Salaam Alaikum:

I am not a good Muslim by any stretch of the word. However I believe in Allah SWT and the Prophet Muhammad PBUH and do the best that I can. It is late here and I plan to return to this post later to study it more. Mashallah, this seems to be very well thought out and I thank you for it.
Waalaykum Assalam

Allah سبحانه وتعالى says:
3E647322-F2FD-405B-9908-6043032DF3D3.jpeg

Allah's Messenger صلى الله عليه وسلم said:
02F814DD-9562-4D2C-82F4-7A6EBFE9DF35.jpeg

Wasp

Salafism was already explained splendidly by @Abdushakur.

Wahabbism doesn't mean anything really. It's a word people, usually either non-Muslims or shias or ignorant Sunnis, use to refer to Muslims who respect traditions. Because they usually don't know what the traditions actually are, they ascribe everything they dislike to "Wahabbism" to somehow pretend the "problem" can be put in a box and then ignored because it's somebody else's fault; the "Wahabbis" fault.

Ellen Brown

As Salaam Alaikum:
It is doubtful to me that many Muslims at all have any ideas who these groups are? I started Islam with a group of Somalis who wanted women completely covered in black. We could not even see the speaker at the Masjid, and some were very anti American. YET, they lived in and benefited from America, to include welfare. I was eventually thrown out for being not Somali enough. I am white and was born in America. Lots of what expat Muslims teach here is tribal and has nothing to do with Islam.

No matter what excursions into learning about other religions I made, I never disavowed the Prophet.

Now days, it seems that there is a substantial difference between American Muslims and those in other countries? They'd likely not call me a good Muslim. Perhaps it is likely that one day there will be Sunni, Shia, and American Muslims? In my experience many think that American Muslims generally have read the Quran. I've had many expat Muslim women tell me that the only Quran they know comes from what they learned at the Masjid.

Wasp

As Salaam Alaikum:
It is doubtful to me that many Muslims at all have any ideas who these groups are? I started Islam with a group of Somalis who wanted women completely covered in black. We could not even see the speaker at the Masjid, and some were very anti American. YET, they lived in and benefited from America, to include welfare. I was eventually thrown out for being not Somali enough. I am white and was born in America. Lots of what expat Muslims teach here is tribal and has nothing to do with Islam.

No matter what excursions into learning about other religions I made, I never disavowed the Prophet.

Now days, it seems that there is a substantial difference between American Muslims and those in other countries? They'd likely not call me a good Muslim. Perhaps it is likely that one day there will be Sunni, Shia, and American Muslims? In my experience many think that American Muslims generally have read the Quran. I've had many expat Muslim women tell me that the only Quran they know comes from what they learned at the Masjid.
But to be realistic most Muslims aren't very "good" Muslims. Whether they live in America or France or Saudi Arabia.

I have noticed American Muslims have some kind of a bad reputation (?), perhaps it comes from the scholars in America who are not considered so good in the middle East.

Ellen Brown

But to be realistic most Muslims aren't very "good" Muslims. Whether they live in America or France or Saudi Arabia.

I have noticed American Muslims have some kind of a bad reputation (?), perhaps it comes from the scholars in America who are not considered so good in the middle East.

Yes, there ARE American Imams and the like who do not "tow the line" in Saudi Arabia, and to me that is good. Here in America, I could always drive, I'm not likely to be Judicially beaten, or executed for things, can own my own property, and can travel if I wish. I am viewed by some Muslims as a "not good" Muslim, and that precludes my having long term contact with expat Muslims. I worked at a paying job and supported a family for 45 years, made many mistakes but always tried to please Allah SWT. It is Allah SWT who judges me, and no one else.

Wasp

Yes, there ARE American Imams and the like who do not "tow the line" in Saudi Arabia, and to me that is good. Here in America, I could always drive, I'm not likely to be Judicially beaten, or executed for things, can own my own property, and can travel if I wish. I am viewed by some Muslims as a "not good" Muslim, and that precludes my having long term contact with expat Muslims. I worked at a paying job and supported a family for 45 years, made many mistakes but always tried to please Allah SWT. It is Allah SWT who judges me, and no one else.
I'm not sure if what you describe is the reason for the criticism. There is at least one so called "liberal" scholar who for instance argues that hijab isn't important.

Ellen Brown

I'm not sure if what you describe is the reason for the criticism. There is at least one so called "liberal" scholar who for instance argues that hijab isn't important.

It is between the woman and Allah SWT, not adolescent, control freak men.

Wasp

It is between the woman and Allah SWT, not adolescent, control freak men.
In the end it is, but it is the job of scholars to pass on correct information regarding the Islamic teachings. So for an Islamic scholar to teach people that hijab is not necessary, important or Islamic, is wrong.