• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the difference between the new and old covenant?

2ndpillar

What is the Christian perspective of the New Covenant? I know they refer to Jeremiah 31:31-34 whereas with regards to the house of Israel and house of Judah,I will put "My law within them", as their new covenant, but the nations/Gentiles are not mentioned, and they, nor Jacob apparently "Know the LORD", the final product of the "new covenant", and do not have to teach each other to "Know the LORD".

As for the original covenant, "My law", if one was to keep it, they would not suffer the plagues of Egypt, yet Jacob, did not keep it and have been under judgment ever since. Whereas the Christians and their proposed new covenant, the false gospel of grace by the false prophet Paul, has not sheltered them from the plagues of Egypt as well.

"My law" of the first covenant seemed to be pivoted around loving your neighbor by not stealing from him, defrauding him or killing him, and if he was in need to feed him. If you didn't take care of him, well, one faces judgment (Mt 25:32) & (Ezekiel 34). Yeshua's comment on the matter was that if one didn't do this, which was produce good fruit, one would be thrown into the fire (Matthew 3:10), even if one repented and was baptized.

On the other hand, the Christians apparently think that under their "new covenant", that they are "saved", and no good works, such as helping their neighbors are required. They think they will escape death and destruction, yet their track record has not been good. Have they like Eve, eaten the forbidden fruit and think they will not die, yet will in effect, like "every one" will die for their own iniquities (Jeremiah 31:30).

74x12

What is the Christian perspective of the New Covenant? I know they refer to Jeremiah 31:31-34 whereas with regards to the house of Israel and house of Judah,I will put "My law within them", as their new covenant, but the nations/Gentiles are not mentioned, and they, nor Jacob apparently "Know the LORD", the final product of the "new covenant", and do not have to teach each other to "Know the LORD".

As for the original covenant, "My law", if one was to keep it, they would not suffer the plagues of Egypt, yet Jacob, did not keep it and have been under judgment ever since. Whereas the Christians and their proposed new covenant, the false gospel of grace by the false prophet Paul, has not sheltered them from the plagues of Egypt as well.

"My law" of the first covenant seemed to be pivoted around loving your neighbor by not stealing from him, defrauding him or killing him, and if he was in need to feed him. If you didn't take care of him, well, one faces judgment (Mt 25:32) & (Ezekiel 34). Yeshua's comment on the matter was that if one didn't do this, which was produce good fruit, one would be thrown into the fire (Matthew 3:10), even if one repented and was baptized.

On the other hand, the Christians apparently think that under their "new covenant", that they are "saved", and no good works, such as helping their neighbors are required. They think they will escape death and destruction, yet their track record has not been good. Have they like Eve, eaten the forbidden fruit and think they will not die, yet will in effect, like "every one" will die for their own iniquities (Jeremiah 31:30).
The new Covenant is the resurrection. That is a new contract with God. A new life from the grave. Few people understand the new Covenant.

2ndpillar

The new Covenant is the resurrection. That is a new contract with God. A new life from the grave. Few people understand the new Covenant.

That is quite different from the "new covenant" explained in Jeremiah 31:31-34. As for the "resurrection of the dead" per Revelation 20:4, that was limited to the dead who had not received the mark of the beast (Constantine), or in the case of the "whole house of Israel", having their graves opening and being brought into the land of Israel, with My Spirit within you (Ez 37:12-14), whereas the house of Israel and Judah will be joined in the "land that I gave to Jacob", under the leadership of My servant David (Ezekiel 37). That hasn't happened. According to Paul, or the unknown writer of Hebrews, you are under this Pauline new covenant, of course all based on your believing that Paul is not lying, and you "surely shall not die". Of course that is not the first time that ruse has been used. And as there are around 28,000 different Christian sects, that would mean a lot of different understandings of the "new covenant". But your abbreviated explanation of the new testament doesn't tell us what you think the old covenant was.

I am sorry, but I forgot to mention that when the LORD will again have compassion on Jacob and choose Israel, and "settle them on their own land", they will bring the "people"/nations/Gentiles along with them to be their "servants". (Isaiah 14:1-2) So you see, not all is lost.

Last edited:

2ndpillar

The old covenant was God presenting His plan to His chosen people. The new covenant extends that plan to others.

You forgot to mention what "His plan" was. Kind of like, obey My Commandments and live, or sin, and die. Does that extend to "others", or do "others" get special nonspecific, non existing ephemeral rules?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

From my perspective, as a Christian born again into the New Covernant, I see this is the way it unfolds.

The new Covernant is brought by God's chosen Messenger. It thus makes all things New, as former things have passed away. The new Covernant was brought in 1844 and sealed and signed in 1863.

There is no path to God in this day that is outside of acceptance of the new Covenant, as all past Covenants now find fulfilment in the Covernant given by the Bab (Gate) and confirmed, expanded upon and sealed by Baha'u'llah (Glory of God, the Father).

The Law now goes out from Zion.

Regards Tony

74x12

That is quite different from the "new covenant" explained in Jeremiah 31:31-34.
You need a bigger slice of the picture to understand it. More than just Jeremiah 31:31-34. Many scriptures speak of the new Covenant that aren't as obvious.
My Spirit within you (Ez 37:12-14), whereas the house of Israel and Judah will be joined in the "land that I gave to Jacob", under the leadership of My servant David (Ezekiel 37)
Jesus is the David(Beloved) predicted.

The "sure mercies of David" is the resurrection of Jesus. (Isaiah 55:3) To be given the resurrection of Jesus is to be given what He got. That is new life from the grave.

Isaiah 28:16
Therefore thus saith the Lord God, Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation a stone, a tried stone, a precious corner stone, a sure foundation: he that believeth shall not make haste.
That hasn't happened.
The new Covenant begins within first. Unlike the old Covenant which was external. Imposed from without and therein was the weakness ... because it led to the doctrine of the pharisees. Those concerned with external appearance. Lip service and not the state of their heart. (see Matthew 23:26)

Not that we blame the old Covenant; but the heart of man is at fault. However, the new Covenant has the remedy.
But your abbreviated explanation of the new testament doesn't tell us what you think the old covenant was.
The old Covenant was for this earth. For an earthly nation. God cares and so gave it to them. Basically saying "obey this and you will live and you will be resurrected when He comes" Some obeyed others did not. But, none of them could be raised from the dead until Jesus comes first.

Well, He has come now. And He makes all things new. (Revelation 21:5)

Jeremiah 18:6
O house of Israel, cannot I do with you as this potter? saith the Lord. Behold, as the clay is in the potter's hand, so are ye in mine hand, O house of Israel.

74x12

Paul is not lying, and you "surely shall not die".
Jesus said it not Paul ...

John 11:24-26
24 Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.
25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

74x12

Of course that is not the first time that ruse has been used. And as there are around 28,000 different Christian sects, that would mean a lot of different understandings of the "new covenant".
Don't worry about what others believe or think they know. Those in the real new Covenant know God for themselves.

2ndpillar

From my perspective, as a Christian born again into the New Covernant, I see this is the way it unfolds.

The new Covernant is brought by God's chosen Messenger. It thus makes all things New, as former things have passed away. The new Covernant was brought in 1844 and sealed and signed in 1863.

There is no path to God in this day that is outside of acceptance of the new Covenant, as all past Covenants now find fulfilment in the Covernant given by the Bab (Gate) and confirmed, expanded upon and sealed by Baha'u'llah (Glory of God, the Father).

The Law now goes out from Zion.

Regards Tony

You forgot to mention what this "Law" is, and where "Zion" is. You also forgot to detail the original "Covenant", and how it was fulfilled.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You forgot to mention what this "Law" is, and where "Zion" is. You also forgot to detail the original "Covenant", and how it was fulfilled.

There are a variety of Covenants given by God. The Old testament contains at least 8 Covernants, other Holy Books also have Covenants. These Covenants apply to certain people, certain places and that God will never leave mankind alone and without guidance.

It is a massive topic, so where to begin?

Zion is now Mt Carmel, the past Covenants say that Mt Carmel will see the Glory of God, or the Glory of the Lord, which is the English translation of Baha'u'llah.

The Arc of the Covenant is now built on Mt Carmel and this is now Zion where the Law goes out from. It is the Mountain of the Lord, unto which all Nations shall flow up on.

God's Name has now become One.

Where would you like to start?

Regards Tony

2ndpillar

Jesus said it not Paul ...

John 11:24-26
24 Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.
25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

Yeshua was referring to himself as the "bread of life", the "Word" of God, the law and the prophets. One must eat of the bread of life, and without leaven (hypocrisy of the Pharisee), and act upon it (Matthew 7:25-27). Following the beast (Constantine), and his Roman church, with the foundations of Peter and Paul, is like building a house on a sandy foundation, and with the coming rain, that house will fall.

As for your interpretation of John 11:25, there apparently is a better version, which is to say every one shall die for their iniquity (Jeremiah 31:30), yet though they die, everyone shall be resurrected at the white throne judgment, but only those in the book of life will escape the lake of fire. (Rev 20:15). At the first resurrection, only the dead without the mark of the beast will arise from the dead (Rev 20:4). That would apparently preclude the followers of Paul and his false gospel of grace.

John 11:25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me will live even if he dies

2ndpillar

That's correct but doesn't change anything.

The conclusion is that "every one will die for their own iniquity" (Jeremiah 31:30), including those who believe they are saved yet died, for they forgot to heed the testimony of Yeshua, and build their house on the foundation of Peter and the false prophet Paul, which precludes being risen for the 1st resurrection. Believing and heeding Yeshua is not the same as believing in Paul's twisted story. I am sorry if I was not clear on these points.

The "Me", the Word, in John 11:25 pertains to the Word of God, not just believing that "Christ is the son God". (Mt 16), which the demons apparently pull of very well. The "Word" includes the Law, the prophets and the testimony of Yeshua. It does not include the testimony of the false prophet.

coconut theology

coconuts for Jesus
What is the Christian perspective of the New Covenant?
Primarily, this:

OC:

Exo_19:8 And all the people answered together, and said, All that the LORD hath spoken we will do. And Moses returned the words of the people unto the LORD.​

NC:

Jer 31:33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.​

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The main difference is going from 613 Commandments down to 2 Commandments. Here's the 613: Judaism 101: A List of the 613 Mitzvot (Commandments)

Here's the 2: Matthew 22[35-40]
Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying, Master, which is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

lostwanderingsoul

In Mathew 19:16 Jesus says that if we want to enter into life, we must "keep the commandments". Jesus then goes on to name SOME of the commandments. Do not steal, Do not bear false witness. Honor your parents. Jesus does NOT name all TEN but he DOES anme more than TWO. It is very clear to anyone who can read and use his mind that Jesus if talking about the ten commandments. Anyone who denies this is influences by the teachings od some religion that is not following God's rules. The two thing Jesus says about loving God and loving your neighbor are a SUMMARY of the ten commandments. If you love your neighbor you will not kill him or steal from him. If you love God you will have no other gods or graven images. Just a SUMMARY. God want us to obey all ten of his rules that he wrote in stoine by his own hand.