• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Is The Difference Between HELL And THE LAKE OF FIRE?

Tammie

Muffled,

Thanks for your reply. Regarding the Norse Mythology....

When I was younger I remembered a teacher that stated that Mythology was an extended version of Myths, but he really struggled as he researched it, and found that there were some people that played out these things in reality making some things in it true.

When I began to research the bible, I soon learned that many of these Mythology characters were derived from the idols, gods and goddesses, and even some characters that were found in the bible (i.e. Sampson/Hercules)and that these kind of things have happened from the beginning.
Adrammelech, 2 Kings 17:31
Amon, Jeremiah 46:25, Egypt
Asherah, Judges 6:25-30, Canaan
Baal, 2 Kings 10:18-28, Syria/Phoenicia/Canaan
Baal-berith, Judges 8:33, 9:4, Shechem
Baal-Peor. Numbers 25:3, Moabites
Baal-Zebub (Beelzebub in NT), 2 Kings 1:16, Matthew 12:27
Bel, Isaiah 46:1, Jeremiah50:2, Moabites, Babylonian/Ammonites
Castor-Pollux, Acts 28:11, Greeks
Chemosh, 1 Kings 11:7, Moabites
Dagon, 1 Samuel 5:2-7, Philistines
Diana/Artemis, Acts 19:24-28, Ephesus in Greece
Gad (Fortune), Isaiah 65:11, Israel
Golden Calf, Exodus 32, Israel (borrowed from Egypt)
Jupiter/Zeus, Acts 14:12, Greek
Kalwan (Chiun), Amos 5:26, Babylonian
Meni (Destiny), Isaiah 65:11, Israel
Mercury/Hermes, Acts 14:12, Greek
Merodach/Marduk, Jeremiah 50:2, Babylonians
Molech (Moloch), Leviticus 20:2-5
Nergal, 2 Kings 17:30, Cuth
Ishtar (Queen of Heaven), Jeremiah 7:18, Jeremiah 44:17-19
Rimmon, 2 Kings 5:18, Syria
Tammuz, Ezekiel 8:14, Babylonian/Samarians
(as well as a few others)
According to the bible, Hell (Greek #86 and Hebrew Sheol) means the grave or pit. Gehenna means the lake of fire, The last two ememies that Christ will defeat is Hell (the grave) and Death.

1 Corinthians 15:24-26 - Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power. For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet. The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.

1 Corinthians 15:55 - O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?

I wish you the best on your journey of Mythology, but for me...I think I'll stick to what is written in the bible.

This is no different that asking "what is the difference between Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny?" What difference does it make? They're imaginary. The difference between zero and zero is zero.

Muffled

Jesus in me
What Is The Difference Between HELL And THE LAKE OF FIRE?
Both are a topic that I don't care to research because I don't plan on or want to go to either. They can call it anything they want to, I am going the other direction.

I believe we can break out into a chorus of "Bury me not on the lone prairie." The dust doesn't matter much but I want my spirit to always be with Jesus.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Muffled,

Thanks for your reply. Regarding the Norse Mythology....

When I was younger I remembered a teacher that stated that Mythology was an extended version of Myths, but he really struggled as he researched it, and found that there were some people that played out these things in reality making some things in it true.

When I began to research the bible, I soon learned that many of these Mythology characters were derived from the idols, gods and goddesses, and even some characters that were found in the bible (i.e. Sampson/Hercules)and that these kind of things have happened from the beginning.
Adrammelech, 2 Kings 17:31
Amon, Jeremiah 46:25, Egypt
Asherah, Judges 6:25-30, Canaan
Baal, 2 Kings 10:18-28, Syria/Phoenicia/Canaan
Baal-berith, Judges 8:33, 9:4, Shechem
Baal-Peor. Numbers 25:3, Moabites
Baal-Zebub (Beelzebub in NT), 2 Kings 1:16, Matthew 12:27
Bel, Isaiah 46:1, Jeremiah50:2, Moabites, Babylonian/Ammonites
Castor-Pollux, Acts 28:11, Greeks
Chemosh, 1 Kings 11:7, Moabites
Dagon, 1 Samuel 5:2-7, Philistines
Diana/Artemis, Acts 19:24-28, Ephesus in Greece
Gad (Fortune), Isaiah 65:11, Israel
Golden Calf, Exodus 32, Israel (borrowed from Egypt)
Jupiter/Zeus, Acts 14:12, Greek
Kalwan (Chiun), Amos 5:26, Babylonian
Meni (Destiny), Isaiah 65:11, Israel
Mercury/Hermes, Acts 14:12, Greek
Merodach/Marduk, Jeremiah 50:2, Babylonians
Molech (Moloch), Leviticus 20:2-5
Nergal, 2 Kings 17:30, Cuth
Ishtar (Queen of Heaven), Jeremiah 7:18, Jeremiah 44:17-19
Rimmon, 2 Kings 5:18, Syria
Tammuz, Ezekiel 8:14, Babylonian/Samarians
(as well as a few others)
According to the bible, Hell (Greek #86 and Hebrew Sheol) means the grave or pit. Gehenna means the lake of fire, The last two ememies that Christ will defeat is Hell (the grave) and Death.

1 Corinthians 15:24-26 - Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power. For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet. The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.

1 Corinthians 15:55 - O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?

I wish you the best on your journey of Mythology, but for me...I think I'll stick to what is written in the bible.

I believe you should but then you should remember that Jews don't bury their dead in fire or in a garbage dump.

I believe what I am pointing out is that Hell is an English word used in translating and in many cases it is misused as you have pointed out because it does not mean the grave in general but the grave of the wicked. I believe Gehenna means garbage dump that burns incessantly. It may be a metaphor for the Lake of Fire but it is not the lake of fire. Hell is used to refer to the Lake of Fire even though it is not because it is the place the wicked will go to.

Faithofchristian

I don't believe many go into the lake of fire at the day of judgement and those that do get resurrected unto the final judgement after the 1,000 year reign of Jesus. I suppose it is logically possible for a Christian to miss the Rapture and get swallowed up by Hell and then get exonerated at the last judgement.
Just wondering because i have read that they are two different places because it says in the bible that God will toss HELL into the LAKE OF FIRE?
Hell repsents the grave, and the grave depending in how it's used, means those who are Spiritually dead. Spiritually dead, means those who do not know God or have an understanding of who God is.

Take John 5:28-29
Verse 28 --"Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice"

Of course no one is in the grave, our decayed body is in the earth, but our spirit has returned to God who gave it. Eccl 12:7.

But as to where our spirit that can not die goes, in the book of Luke 16:26, there Christ Jesus has given the great gulf fixed, where those that have the truth of God's word will go to one side of the great gulf fix and on the other side of the great gulf fix those who will be taught the truth of God's
word.
Now back to John 5:28, those that in the graves, of course we know there is no one laying in the ground of the earth, only your decayed body corpse. The grave Representing those that Spiritually dead.having no understanding of God, but when the Spiritually dead shall hear his voice and shall come forth shall live and those who repented not of their evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

This all will take place after the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison, and shall go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth. Rev 20:7-15.

The lake of fire, is the place of non-existent.whosoever is cast into the lake of fire are cast into non-existent, as tho they have never existed ever.not even God will remember them no more, they are gone for ever.
Remember what Christ Jesus said, fear not them who are able to destroy the body, But fear Him who is able to destroy the body and soul in hell, this being that hell will be cast into the lake of fire of non-existent.
Rev 20:14-15.
The second death is that non-existent of never ever of having any existence ever before.
This is why you want to be in the first resurrection of life and not in the second resurrection of damnation of non-existent.