• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the difference between being pro-gun and pro-choice?

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
What about "In God We Trust"? Over 95% of the population believes in God (in some form). It doesn't say "In the Christian God We Trust". Why can't this remain what it is, a statement that we are a country that values religion (as opposed to TRUE secular nations, like Russia, that teaches everyone to distrust all religion)?
Tell me, if over 95% the U.S. were Satanists, would you think it's ok to put "In Satan We Trust" on our money?

Freedom of conscience is not based on majority rule. It's based on the individual conscience. Govt should never make you feel like you would feel if "In Satan We Trust" were on our money, just as govt should never make a non-theist feel that way. No one should be made to feel marginalized by our govt, by the thing that's supposed to represent ALL THE PEOPLE.

NoahideHiker

Religious Headbanger
What is the difference between being pro-gun and pro-choice?

Both arguments for these policies cite the Bill of Rights as the basis for their position. Pro-choice cites freedom of choice. Pro-gun cites right to bear arms.

The counter-argument to these is similar as well. Pro-life argues that legalized abortion ends life and puts women at risk. Pro-gun control argues that legalized arms ends life and puts families at risk.

One could argue that making guns illegal does not stop criminals from obtaining weapons, it only takes from normal citizens the option of protecting themselves. One could argue that making abortion illegal does not stop women from having them, it only forces them to find more dangerous means of aborting a child.

I find it strange that one argument is seen as being leftist and the other as being on the right when BOTH arguments are technically libertarian views (civil liberties vs. government control).

A great quote I saw, and I can't remember the name of the guy who said it but....

"Freedom means having to put up with things we may not like or agree with."

I support our freedoms even if I don't agree with them. If one can fall they all can fall.

somodat

A similar argument is often made about those who are pro-life and pro-death penalty. The question is asked, "how can you be pro-life on the abortion issue and pro death penalty at the same time. Back to original point of pro-life/pro-gun, life is an inalienable right given by God. But the right to bear arms is one given by governments. Pro-life says once again that human life, is given by God. The right to bear arms is one given by the government. Owning fire arms and putting people to death who are judged guilty of murder are among the rights given by God (see Jesus acknowledging Caesar's rights) to governments that they exact upon their constituents based on determinants that occur much after our gift of life. And this authority to govern is given by God in the same order it happened in Genesis, that is the gift of life, followed by the loss of innocence, followed by the responsibility for knowing the difference between good and evil. The lack of which determines whether you will own fire arms or continue to enjoy your gift of life in the country you chose to disregard the human rights of others.