• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Is The Definition Of "Rape Culture"?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
The title says it all.

Off the cuff, I'd say a culture where rape is not necessarily seen as criminal. Maybe in some middle-eastern countries. Where your wife can't charge you with rape. Where rape is usually seen as the fault of the woman.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Rape culture - Wikipedia
A strong overview of the term's definition, history and application.
The normalization of sexual violence (through various means) and denial of widespread sexual violence seems to be the most common general usage I see.
From your link.....
Rape culture is a sociological concept for a setting in which rape is pervasive and normalizeddue to societal attitudes about gender and sexuality.[1][2] Behaviors commonly associated with rape culture include victim blaming, ****-shaming, sexual objectification, trivializing rape, denial of widespread rape, refusing to acknowledge the harm caused by some forms of sexual violence, or some combination of these.[3][4] The notion of rape culture has been used to describe and explain behavior within social groups, including prison rape and in conflict areas where war rape is used as psychological warfare. Entire societies have been alleged to be rape cultures.

In what ways do you see it being applied to Americastan?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
From your link.....

In what ways do you see it being applied to Americastan?
Without having to type an essay on my phone examples range from our ***** grabbing president to the 'if she dresses a certain way she deserves it' to lack of knowledge or discussion of spousal rape to the sheer volume and ratio of women who suffer rape in this country.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Without having to type an essay on my phone examples range from our ***** grabbing president to the 'if she dresses a certain way she deserves it' to lack of knowledge or discussion of spousal rape to the sheer volume and ratio of women who suffer rape in this country.
Wait til you're off the phone.
Those things are no good for considered posts.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Now, what force would you attribute this to? What would you call this thing that compelled the police to ignore all the evidence they collected, charge her with filing a false report, fine her, and have a judge order her to state-mandated brain-washing? What could possibly be this compelling force that is so pervasive that so many different aspects of government not only failed this girl, but attacked her on so many levels? How about them treating it as a fluke when they got caught? :facepalm:

Riders

Some college fraternities have it, some or one that i saw one the news a year ago this was from about 10 years ago fraternity guys had a saying were shouting out all the things they do and on was shouting out raping women and they were laughing about it.

Sometimes fraternities and at private boys schools had a partying atmosphere, getting drunk and having sex with drunken women are a part of their atmosphere and they egg each other on.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Some college fraternities have it,
Excellent post.

I don’t think we can really address this question in terms of “American culture” as a whole. But parts of America, sub cultures, communities, do exhibit rape culture. As you say some fraternities, but also some gangs, even some corporations.

If we expanded this to consider the idea of a “sexual harassment culture”, where sexual harassment is tolerated we could identify many more communities within America that are guilty of this.

(btw this is true of other western countries, it is not unique to America)

crossfire

Premium Member
I don't see it as being about whether a clue exists to show it.
Rather, I'm interested in the forms it takes here.
You cited one of them.
Read the news article in post #8 to see the effects whatever-you-want-to-call-it (rape culture, or what. It very much fits what the Buddhists call a Māra) manifests and enforces. That's what I mean when I say rape culture.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Read the news article in post #8 to see the effects whatever-you-want-to-call-it (rape culture, or what. It very much fits what the Buddhists call a Māra) manifests and enforces. That's what I mean when I say rape culture.
Articles are nice, but I like to hear posters express their own opinions.

"Rape culture" appears to be broader than what's found in common discourse.
I'll add another example.....
I commonly hear people find humor in, & een express the desire, that prisoners
be sexually assaulted while incarcerated, particularly males. TV shows like "Law
& Order" come readily to mind. Such attitudes appear to drive public policy which
tacitly allows it to continue.

Last edited:

crossfire

Premium Member
Articles are nice, but I like to hear posters express their own opinions.

"Rape culture" appears to be broader than what's found in common discourse.
I'll add another example.....
I commonly hear people find humor in, & een express the desire, that prisoners
be sexually assaulted while incarcerated, particularly males. TV shows like "Law
& Order" come readily to mind. Such attitudes appear to drive public policy which
tacitly allows it to continue.
There isn't really an opinion expressed in the article. It's just reporting the news about what happened (good old-fashioned journalism.)

Synopsis of events reported in the article:
  • Serial rapist breaks into home of young woman, ties her up, rapes her, and takes a picture of her tied up with her ID
  • Young woman reports rape to police. Police gather evidence pointing to her being raped
  • Someone who has not seen the evidence unsubstancially suggests she might be lying.
  • Multiple government agencies seize on the suggestion she might be lying, assume the suggestion is true without further investigation.
  • Multiple government agencies ignore the evidence they have collected and charge the young woman with filing a false report
  • Young woman is fined for filing a false report
  • Young woman is ordered by a judge to undergo mandatory psychological brainwashing and forced her to say she lied about being raped, in spite of the evidence they had gathered supporting she was raped.
  • When the serial rapist is caught in another state, and that out-of-state police agency sends the picture of the young woman tied up with her ID to the local police, the local police treat the whole thing as a fluke. However, they couldn't ignore it, because the out-of-state police agency needed the local police agency's evidence for the serial rapist's trial. Local police had to go to out-of-state court.
Whatever-it-is that overcomes people's minds to the point where trained professionals ignore evidence and believe lies without evidence (also known as delusion) and then uses the power of the state to enforce that delusional view certainly has a powerful effect on our society.

Last edited:

Anthem

There is no such a thing. It is merely a word in the english language that is used for purposes of hate speech and propaganda.

crossfire

Premium Member
There is no such a thing. It is merely a word in the english language that is used for purposes of hate speech and propaganda.
What is the mechanism that caused the police to ignore the evidence they had gathered, charge the rape victim with filing a false report, and have the court order the victim to undergo psychological brainwashing, then?

Anthem

What is the mechanism that caused the police to ignore the evidence they had gathered, charge the rape victim with filing a false report, and have the court order the victim to undergo psychological brainwashing, then?
It isn't a mechanism, but a human being.

Anthem

It was a broad range of human beings whose minds were overcome with a delusional presumption taken as truth without investigation or examination..
Maybe it was just an *******, to put it short? Not all people believe in what they do.