• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the Definition of Atheism?

Which Definition of Atheism Do You Use

• Ancient: You do not believe what I believe.

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Newest: The search for God is futile, so why try.

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • There is no God.

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • I reject all of your God(s).

Votes: 7 36.8%

• Total voters

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Hard atheism is, “I believe that there is no God or gods.”
I'm not sure about the point to this post.

Unless it's to point out that many people confuse "know" with "believe".

Lots of people confuse "confidently believe" with "know". Is that what you're referring to, or something else?
Tom

dingdao

The eternal Tao cannot be told - Tao Te Ching
You know, this really asks for a little bit of context.

For instance, would you like to explain why the fourth option appears to be self-contradictory?

Why do you call those options definitions (which, frankly, they are not) instead of something more accurate such as perhaps "stances"? Or perhaps using actual definitions instead?

As for the last part of your question, do you mean perhaps a workable philosophy? Is there some implication that such a philosophy should connect to either atheism or to its alternatives? Is it a random question instead that you just felt like presenting alongside the unrelated matter of atheism? Something else?

As things stand, I have no idea of what you mean to ask, because you simply did not provide anywhere near enough information for some functional answer to be given.
1. What is your personal definition of Atheism, how is it used in context?
2. Was this definition consciously chosen?
3. If you self-identify as an Atheist, whats to keep you from becoming a mob boss?

I see Humanists and Scientist tend to use the definition: God does not matter.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I'm not sure about the point to this post.

Unless it's to point out that many people confuse "know" with "believe".

Lots of people confuse "confidently believe" with "know". Is that what you're referring to, or something else?
Tom
People conflate "know" with "believe," yes. Precision lends clarity.

dingdao

I am atheist and i know what god is, a figment of the imagination used to make the believe feel better about themselves.

The definition of atheism is clear, you want it changed then talk to the varioys dictionary compilers

Atheism : disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.
Is that how you use the word?

dingdao

Terry Sampson

Is that how you use the word?

If it is, then, based on her definition of god/gods, because I'm an eclectic Christian theist and because I don't believe in the god/gods that she doesn't beieve in, does that make me a an eclectic Christian atheist? :confused:

dingdao

If it is, then, based on her definition of god/gods, because I'm an eclectic Christian theist and because I don't believe in the god/gods that she doesn't beieve in, does that make me a an eclectic Christian atheist? :confused:
You become an Atheist to them. How you define yourself is up to you.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
That's why I asked for the point to your post.
You haven't been clear.

At least, not to me.
Tom
To be clear, the hard atheist states his belief: "There are no gods." To interpret that as some sort of knowledge is folly.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It only exists in relationship to religion.

No, not to religion. Theism. Something entirely different.

It's mental illness without believers and it cannot understand why that is. Atheism is locked in the same vault as believers that incredibly stupid part of the brain self labeled by itself "higher functioning". Ha zero evidence of that.
Such prejudice, and so utterly divorced from reality.

A Vestigial Mote

It only exists in relationship to religion. It's mental illness without believers and it cannot understand why that is.
So, do you think atheists can't admit that we wouldn't be atheists without theists? Of course that is true. If there were no theists, there would be no atheists.

And "without believers" you're probably right - it would take a mental illness to go on and on about something that no one (including yourself) had ever seen, heard, experienced or talked about. But that's not the situation we're looking at in the here and now, are we? Not in the slightest. There certainly ARE people who claim to have seen/heard/experienced, and they damn sure talk A LOT about Him/Her/It (god). So is it "mental illness" to seek answers to questions and poke and prod people's ideas for which they have completely insufficient evidence? Is it mental illness to ask for evidence before venturing into actual belief?

In other words, what you said is completely useless. True... but useless. You want a world without "believers?" So do I. I'm just not deluded/foolish/brainless enough to think that "atheists" would go on discussing "god" and how He probably doesn't exist if there were no one left claiming that He did. The discussion would be over. No believers, nothing to discuss.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
1. What is your personal definition of Atheism, how is it used in context?

I gave it in fine detail a few posts prior, but in essence, it is the lack of use or need for god/deity concepts.

2. Was this definition consciously chosen?

Yes. I spent a ridiculously huge amount of time attempting to understand theism, and therefore to properly define atheism.

3. If you self-identify as an Atheist, whats to keep you from becoming a mob boss?

Reason and Morality, mainly.

I see Humanists and Scientist tend to use the definition: God does not matter.
For some people, it apparently does.

Generally, it does not.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
To be clear, the hard atheist states his belief: "There are no gods." To interpret that as some sort of knowledge is folly.
I agree. I find hard atheism nearly as irrational as fundamentalist theism. Nobody can know this stuff, and support their "knowledge" with any evidence.

But also,
People commonly use the terms "hard atheist" and "strong atheist" to mean "confident atheist".

The lack of precision makes the conversation difficult.
Tom

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Life is a stream of consciousness that creates the life reality with no God at the helm. Thats my atheism.

Im not a humanist. I hold virtues far above reason, and understanding with reason is good judgment.

To me religion is trying to have something awesome to look forward to with a grander purpose so they create fantasy to live out that they convince themselves is real even in the face of evidence to the contrary. No grande purpose exists here, life is at the mercy of physics in our universe. Nothing supernatural exists nor can ever exist here.