• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the Definition of Atheism?

Which Definition of Atheism Do You Use

• Ancient: You do not believe what I believe.

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Newest: The search for God is futile, so why try.

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • There is no God.

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • I reject all of your God(s).

Votes: 7 36.8%

• Total voters

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Please list your vote, why, and a working philosophy for living.
You know, this really asks for a little bit of context.

For instance, would you like to explain why the fourth option appears to be self-contradictory?

Why do you call those options definitions (which, frankly, they are not) instead of something more accurate such as perhaps "stances"? Or perhaps using actual definitions instead?

As for the last part of your question, do you mean perhaps a workable philosophy? Is there some implication that such a philosophy should connect to either atheism or to its alternatives? Is it a random question instead that you just felt like presenting alongside the unrelated matter of atheism? Something else?

As things stand, I have no idea of what you mean to ask, because you simply did not provide anywhere near enough information for some functional answer to be given.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Atheism:

Southern Baptists without Jesus.
:rolleyes:
I think that the majority of non-theists are part of some traditional religious community. They stay for the community, but don't actually believe the god stuff.

Why bother saying so, if the community is important to you? And being honest won't get you anything but trouble?
Tom

David T

Premium Member
:rolleyes:
I think that the majority of non-theists are part of some traditional religious community. They stay for the community, but don't actually believe the god stuff.

Why bother saying so, if the community is important to you? And being honest won't get you anything but trouble?
Tom
Yeah that's been my experience. My father was a roaring atheist I was as a kid really a secularist in that society is all I experienced and understood. One night in a moment of alcohol induced philosohy he said " the ark is x by y by z cubits since it's impossible for all the animals on the planet could fit into that space the Bible is nonsense there is no god".

I had zero idea what he was talking about and had zero idea who he was actually talking to since I had no point of reference. All atheism has religion as it's expert on the topic god. That is A very very unreliable expert to have. A topic can be both true and not understood at the same time. Religion is a prime example.

David T

Premium Member
And without the passion.
Yes because with passion then we no longer have scientific objectivity and everyone knows atheism is totally rational and scientific!!!!! Hahahahahaha. Now that is funny.

Btw I am pushing Aretha franklin movie amazing Grace. Not as a religious justification for belief but as something that displays the magic of music in a very profound way. A must see for those whom love music.

And double btw the song amazing Grace was originally written by a former slave ship captain. To know that and watch the movie is powerful in it's passion!!

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Yes because with passion then we no longer have scientific objectivity and everyone knows atheism is totally rational and scientific!!!!! Hahahahahaha. Now that is funny.

You know that atheism has no such requirements, so I am left wondering why you misrepresent it.

David T

Premium Member
You know that atheism has no such requirements, so I am left wondering why you misrepresent it.
It only exists in relationship to religion. It's mental illness without believers and it cannot understand why that is. Atheism is locked in the same vault as believers that incredibly stupid part of the brain self labeled by itself "higher functioning". Ha zero evidence of that.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Atheism is when you don't know what god is.

I am atheist and i know what god is, a figment of the imagination used to make the believe feel better about themselves.

The definition of atheism is clear, you want it changed then talk to the varioys dictionary compilers

Atheism : disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
It only exists in relationship to religion.
I see it as just the opposite.
We're born atheist, nonbelievers. Almost everyone is taught, from an early age, to believe in some form of religious fiction.

And most people continue to do so throughout their lives. So they seem to think that their fictional beliefs are the default, when it isn't. And anyone can see that, in the modern global world of zillions of religious world views.
Tom

Audie

Veteran Member

Uh no. We have ordinary people and we have godists.
We have flying saucerists. We even have a few
philosophers.

Are you an aflyinssaucerist and an aphilosopher?
An abigfootist and an amagicpyramidist?

If you want a definition, define yourself as an
abigfootiest, and toss in some philosophy, if
it suits.

Atheists are like, just people. If some people
want to be weird and believe the unbelievable,
let them. I am not defined in terms of them and
their idiocy.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Also,
I generally use the term "Non-theist", rather than atheist. Too many people assume the word atheist to mean hard atheist, "I know there is no God". I don't know of many of those. If one is being precise, "I know there is no God" is quite different from "I have no reason to believe in God or religion".

But the words are all vague and people are often imprecise when discussing the concepts.
Tom
Hard atheism is, “I believe that there is no God or gods.”

dingdao

The eternal Tao cannot be told - Tao Te Ching
Atheism (or more correctly humanism) is a philosophy or life stance that embraces human reason, ethics, and philosophical naturalism while specifically rejecting religious dogma, supernaturalism, pseudoscience, and superstition as the basis of morality and decision making.
Atheism doesn't have a philosophy, it is just a lack of belief in god(s)
Atheism without a philosophy becomes Nihilism.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I chose, “There is no God,” which is what I believe. It is, of course, based on evidence, reasoning, and the ontology that I hold to, which is a worldview without gods. It does not preclude a source and foundation for the world, but explicitly denies a person at the heart of it.