• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the best method of study religious teaching/scripture?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I suspect this topic will show a lot of different methods of how to study, but that is also the reason for this OP.

Do you have a certain way you study the scripture you believe in?
If you study scripture from other religions, do you use the same method to gain your understanding of the teaching?

Or does the religion/spiritual teaching have its own dedicated way of being studied?

As a sufi i do read all the different islamic texts but they are more of a guide to me than texts i have to believe every single word exactly the way they are written, there is "hidden knowledge" within the text and only reading the text without any form of practice of it will not open the hidden teaching. (hidden teaching is within our heart)

When i read other scriptures than Islamic, i try first to use same form of study as i do in Sufism, but it is not always the way those texts are ment to be understood :) So then i must use different tools, or even discussion with those who follow the different teachings help to understand better.

Hope you will enjoy this thread

And . NO FIGHTING ;) i will spank you if you fight :p

Last edited:

nPeace

Veteran Member
I suspect this topic will show a lot of different methods of how to study, but that is also the reason for this OP.

If you study scripture from other religions, do you use the same method to gain your understanding of the teaching?

Or does the religion/spiritual teaching have its own dedicated way of being studied?

As a sufi i do read all the different islamic texts but they are more of a guide to me than texts i have to believe every single word exactly the way they are written, there is "hidden knowledge" within the text and only reading the text without any form of practice of it will not open the hidden teaching. (hidden teaching is within our heart)

When i read other scriptures than Islamic, i try first to use same form of study as i do in Sufism, but it is not always the way those texts are ment to be understood :) So then i must use different tools, or even discussion with those who follow the different teachings help to understand better.

For me, a topic by topic study proves to be more effective and beneficial.
Foe example, what does the Bible say about A?
Okay. Moving on. What does the Bible say about B? ...and so on.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
For me, a topic by topic study proves to be more effective and beneficial.
Foe example, what does the Bible say about A?
Okay. Moving on. What does the Bible say about B? ...and so on.
When you have understood a verse or a section of the bible, do you start to use this New understanding in your daily life? Or do you mostly see it as scripture knowledge that only can be understood exactly as written?

nPeace

Veteran Member
When you have understood a verse or a section of the bible, do you start to use this New understanding in your daily life? Or do you mostly see it as scripture knowledge that only can be understood exactly as written?
Not sure I understand your question entirely, but Jehovah's Witnesses believe 2 Timothy 3:16, 17, and thus Bible study and practice, is an ongoing, daily, part of their worship.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Not sure I understand your question entirely, but Jehovah's Witnesses believe 2 Timothy 3:16, 17, and thus Bible study and practice, is an ongoing, daily, part of their worship.
You actually answered my question without understanding it :p

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

I take my religious Scriptures with a 'grain of salt'

Meaning:

1) Even if a 'fool' says something that agrees with my conscience, I accept
2) Even if 'God' says something that disagrees with my conscience, I reject

I apply the same rule to other (non)Faiths

pearl

1) Choose a chapter and simply read it.
2) Make use of scholarship to provide context (time and culture), literary genre.
3) Read it again, placing yourself within the Scripture and 'hearing' it.
3) Pray it, meditate over it.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Not being fluent in Sanskrit, I read through a translation, and if available, I read through another, skipping over the commentaries in my first read-through. I then read through again, this time reading the commentaries as I go.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

I read about 10 minutes a day, and try to remember or reflect on that part just for that day. I find that not much sinks in with information overload, or reading too much. The word 'read' is counterproductive to me. I prefer 'study'.

MatthewA

When it comes down to

looking and studying scripture - Believe that when reading it is good to start from Chapter 1 then move forward until the end. As you are reading, really look and see

what is being said
to who is being spoken
who is speaking ; and who are they speaking to
How are things suppose to happen, Who are they happening to?

Who,What,Why,Where,When,How are all great questions when reading a long the bible scripture.

Also there is one more thing that has been made known to me and that is the Thompson Chain Study Bible - They are expensive bibles but they have all kind of interesting useful information. Break down of the bible books, it has its own archaeology information about the historical places of the bible (From credible and sourced material), it has character study guides, it had a huge list of index topics.

One of the best bible have ever owned: They are suppose to be releasing new copies of Thompson Chain books from if anyone interested : Keywords: thompson chain reference study bibles - Christianbook.com

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
PSA: Reading scriptures in this fashion may lead high blood pressure, especially if one does a lot of reading.
Thanks for the warning. Was a long time ago, that I checked my Blood Pressure
So, after reading your PSA, I checked BP: 99/61. I need more reading I guess:cool: