• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Spirituality?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Do you identify as spiritual in any way? If so, what do you mean by that?

Yes. Putting what I mean into words I'm reminded of a round that expresses it for me. "The Divine Beloved is always with you, in you and around you. Know you are not separate from Him".

This means to me that I'm walking the path that leads, sooner or later, to becoming the truth expressed in that round.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
The term 'spiritual' is one that many people seem to identify with, especially as so many Westerners are fleeing traditional religious labels. Even some atheists embrace a kind of secular spirituality. Yet what is meant by this term can be surprisingly difficult to pin down in my experience.

Resist the urge to Google or cite a dictionary definition for purposes of this thread.

1) Communion between man's spirit and that of God
2) A communion between 2 or more people -- not in the physical sense and perhaps even beyond the arena of the soul

IMO

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
When I was deeply religious, I had many euphoric experiences that I would attribute as spiritual connections with god. When I left Christianity, I had the same experiences with other gods when exploring other faiths. Since leaving religion altogether, I don't really have spiritual experiences like that any more.

When I go for a hike in the woods and think about that when I die, no one will know who I am in 100 years, my body will be utilized by nature in an endless cycle, and that the consequences of my actions will influence those who live after my life ends are beautiful things to me. I've replaced seeking gods with seeking a closer connection to the world and to reality as a whole, and in taking that knowledge and doing the best I can with it for myself and others. It's basic, but it's all I need.

Hmmm, not exactly spiritual, though. Does one need to involve spirits or the supernatural for something to be spiritual? Where is the line drawn between spiritual philosophy and mundane philosophy?

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Spirituality is all that consciousness can't define or simply can't explain nor measure that is of being; The soul of self, the freedom of will, the heart of cares and emotions, the subjects of cares and emotions, and the motivations of our intentions, inspirations, conscience, and all that we value.

Spirituality is also the nature of relationships, and qualities of being that a person possesses; such as virtues or vices.

Spirituality is also identified with an aspect of reality that is different from the physical realm.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
These analogies are intriguing. So is spirituality, in your view, some aspect of reality we don't understand, or only barely understand? I want to make sure I understand.
There is a lot of confusion about spirituality which comes from both superstition and the sudden translation of bible books into English that happened last millennium. This has affected everyone in modern times from Jews to Buddhists -- not just Christians. I think the meaning of 'Spiritual' has become so misleading that its hurting people. I think its time for a shakeup and return to older paths.

I think that in Christian scripture that when they use the Greek Koine term 'Pneuma' which means literally 'Breath' that they are speaking of idea space. What is transferred through words? Ideas. Most Christians today imagine that our world is not spiritual, that it is physical and that there is an invisible spiritual world separate from it. That is confusing, and it comes from bad language usages or languages shifts over time. Its because of scriptures that use language like "rulers of darkness of this world" and "for we wrestle not against flesh and blood but against...spiritual wickedness in high places." I think such figures of speech can be seen through, and we can and should as a society return to an understanding that spiritual things are contemplative. Language has changed over the last 2000 years. Today we say things differently. We don't say "My spirit wills but my flesh resists." Instead we say "My mind wants to, but my body is lazy." Can you see how the old language usages are messing up ideas about what spirituality might mean?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
The term 'spiritual' is one that many people seem to identify with, especially as so many Westerners are fleeing traditional religious labels. Even some atheists embrace a kind of secular spirituality. Yet what is meant by this term can be surprisingly difficult to pin down in my experience.

Resist the urge to Google or cite a dictionary definition for purposes of this thread.

I supposed I might. For me, 'spiritual' describes experiential phenomena yet to be explained by science.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Spirituality is indistinguishable from religion, when you get right down to it. The term came into favor in Western culture because institutionalized monotheist religions have a stranglehold on people's ideas about what "religion" means. Or rather, that's the general take home of this book - Spiritual, But Not Religious: Understanding Unchurched America by Robert C. Fuller - which I think paints a pretty accurate portrait.

I refuse to call religious things "spiritual" because I refuse to continue to grant institutional monotheisms that much power to define what religion looks like. Any time someone says "spiritual" my brain instantly substitutes it with "religious." Perhaps with the caveat "person is likely uncomfortable calling religion religion."

February-Saturday

Devil Worshiper
I use "spirit" in the alchemical sense to refer to the facet of the mind responsible for awareness, and "spiritual" to refer to a romanticized form of this awareness.

For instance, I might say that one should discipline the spirit, and what I mean is that one should take a step back from their own mind and try to view their mental processes more objectively and openly.

I might also refer to "spiritual practices" which involve various types of focus and altered states of consciousness. I might say that I consider a work of art to be "spiritual" if I find that it's particularly deep and resonant.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Many might disagree with this, but being a spiritual person has a lot to do with being loving, peaceable, patient, kind, and good. According to Galatians 5:22-23, these qualities are fruitages of having God’s spirit. They result from it. (BTW, you get God’s spirit, by being obedient to Him.)

Interesting that having God’s spirit, should be so conducive to building strong relationships!!

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Spirituality is indistinguishable from religion, when you get right down to it. The term came into favor in Western culture because institutionalized monotheist religions have a stranglehold on people's ideas about what "religion" means. Or rather, that's the general take home of this book - Spiritual, But Not Religious: Understanding Unchurched America by Robert C. Fuller - which I think paints a pretty accurate portrait.

I refuse to call religious things "spiritual" because I refuse to continue to grant institutional monotheisms that much power to define what religion looks like. Any time someone says "spiritual" my brain instantly substitutes it with "religious." Perhaps with the caveat "person is likely uncomfortable calling religion religion."

Then I suppose that leads to the follow up question: what does 'religion' mean to you?

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I supposed I might. For me, 'spiritual' describes experiential phenomena yet to be explained by science.

Interesting. You say 'yet,' so does that mean spiritual things eventually will be explained by science? Or are there experiences that will always remain out of its purview?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Interesting. You say 'yet,' so does that mean spiritual things eventually will be explained by science? Or are there experiences that will always remain out of its purview?

It depends upon how science advances. At this point, science doesn't have the technology to explain much of said phenomena. Perhaps it eventually will; perhaps not. I really don't know for certain.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Ahh yes...science discovering `heaven` and all it's uncountable residents !

Maybe a thought about all the floating around would be disturbing, yes ?

Oh yah......I forgot about the mansions that `God` was building for everyone.

Oh...no floating...got to get busy honing this sword anyway ! Damned satan !

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Then I suppose that leads to the follow up question: what does 'religion' mean to you?

Haha... fair. It's not an easy thing to define especially since the term is in no small part construct that's grounded in Western culture and ideas. But to try and understand it in a way that it inclusive and as culturally universal as possible, I tend to think of religion as having four basic components. It is first and foremost the narratives people tell that about one's way of life and living (aka, mythology), which are inevitably a product of our deeply-held values (e,g., gods, virtues) and expressed through action to make them meaningful (aka, ritual). The final component is that this process of storytelling to navigate through life and living is a shared process (aka, community) because humans are social animals. In short: myth, values, ritual, community.
The specifics of what it looks like from there vary tremendously.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
In short: myth, values, ritual, community. The specifics of what it looks like from there vary tremendously.
that is your list and description of religion?

I could not help but notice....you left out
common sense
logic
social more'

some story lines have such items installed.....on purpose
(the parables of the Carpenter)

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
that is your list and description of religion?

I could not help but notice....you left out
common sense
logic
social more

It's not left out: all of those are specific examples of stories people tell or values they hold. My description of religion isn't going to specifically list out everybody's pet value or story. It can't do that and remain inclusive.