• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is society like when there are no STD's ?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
How strong of an impact do STD's have on culture?

Would curing all STD's bring about a dystopian future, a peaceful future, sex oriented culture, no change, or what?

Lain

Would curing all STD's bring about a dystopian future, a peaceful future, sex oriented culture, no change, or what?

I would have slightly less reason to think of other people as disease-ridden corpses that I should take mile-long detours on walks to avoid, people would stop insulting one another over this or at least it'd become strange to do so, I would expect an increase in prostitution since one of the main risks of it would be eliminated for their clients, possibly an increase in people casually having sex also and with many different people for the same reason as prostitution, and I would also expect a less peaceful world due to the increase in evils enumerated. Not sure I'd expect much else except unexpected happenings that were not foreseen as any major change in the human condition has. All my opinion of course.

Maybe the taming of some previous STD if such has happened has been studied and the effects of that would be similar so more accurate ideas of what might happen.

exchemist

Veteran Member

No difference.

Nearly all STDs are easily treatable anyway. I don't believe their existence is something that worries most people. I'm not aware that they are cited as a reason for any cultural practices or prohibitions.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Risk of pregnancy was a bigger motivator for me to be mindful of my sexuality than STDs. Basically, I would not be 'intimate' with any person I couldn't stand the idea of being pregnant by.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I'm concerned about the adage that life finds a way.

I would say a cautious, but not over reactive culture would be ideal.

Unfortunately now, all I see is an even more overprotective and paranoid culture for the foreseeable future if the present is any indicator.

Whom wouldn't be satisfied if it came to the point everyone was living in individual sanitized bubble enclosures.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Very little impact, in my opinion. Sex is a fundamental part of human life, and is going to do what it does, no matter what.

And consider how well we understand the dangers of fast-food diets -- and the continued success of McDonald's and their ilk.

The behaviour of humans is driven a lot less by the things you'd think would impact them, and a lot more by basic human nature. It seems that...well, not to put too fine a colour on it, we can't help it.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
When I was growing up a STD was a long distance phone call, Subscriber Trunk Dialling. How things have changed.