• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Is Smudging? Can It Purify a Space of Negative Energy?

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
Apparently, incense sticks are out of fashion and "shamanism" (or what is sold as "shamanism") is the big thing in alternative circles nowadays.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Seems a primitive and profitable angle, I mean what does a dried bundle of dried sage really cost?
You don't have to use sage. I live in NC. Pine needles can be used to cleanse a space and they are everywhere in my back yard. All I have to do is collect them and prepare them into a smudge bundle
I recommend using things other then sage, because I know some native communities do not like it, and see it as appropriation. I use other herbs instead like Douglas fir needles, or just incense: sandalwood, cedar, etc.
there is more then one type of sage. It's white sage that natives use. Other types they might not use. Some types ain't even native to the US and were use by Europeans in smudging. So I'd say a nonnative can use sage just depends on the species of sage they are using. White sage is a no. Another type? Perhaps.

Edit: why did autocorrect change smudging to amusing? I fixed it

Last edited:

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
the environment in which I live long had natives species--such as white sage, tobacco, sweetgrass, etc., being used for smudging and other uses, and I believe it still likes to have those used, even if by people who are descendants of non-natives. And, I think, the community wonders at the presence of imported species--grazing on the land, flying in its skies, growing in its ground, being burned for ceremonial purposes...

In my opinion, of course...