• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Is Smudging? Can It Purify a Space of Negative Energy?

We Never Know

No Slack
Has anyone here tried it? Below some bits from the link.

"Burning sage when you buy a new home or after you've been around a real negative Nancy is sometimes seen as a woo-woo practice or just a New Age fad.

But smoke smudging, the spiritual ritual of creating sacred smoke using herbs or medicinal plants to cleanse a person or space and to promote healing and wisdom, has deep roots in Indigenous cultures. The ancient tradition is heavily ingrained in some Native American societies but was also used by the ancient Egyptians, Romans and other early civilizations as well.

Today, it's becoming increasingly popular in non-Native populations, and while incorporating smudging into your life can be a grounding and cleansing experience, it's crucial to understand its history, to honor its cultural significance and to smudge with thoughtful intention."

What Are the Benefits of Smudging?

"Smudging may offer more benefits than you think. Science is slowly catching up to the spiritual, and studies show benefits ranging from reduced airborne bacteria, lower anxiety and stress, enhanced cognition and improved sleep and mood."

What Supplies Do You Need to Smudge?

"There are four elements involved in a smudge.

-The first is the container in which you'll catch the ash produced from the smudging. A traditional choice is to use a shell, representing the element of water. You can also use a fireproof bowl.
-The second element involves the herbs themselves, which are bundled into what's known as a smudge stick.
-The third element, fire, is produced from lighting the sacred plants.
-The smoke from the fire represents the fourth element, air."

"It's also important to give thought to where you source your herbs. "There are a number of herbs one can use for smudging but use only one herb at a time. Otherwise, you are sending out mixed messages," says Larkin. Sage is the best known, but different herbs can be used for different reasons and are thought to produce different results. "Smudging with sage or cedar is known to dispel negative energy and bring about feelings of peace; sweetgrass brings in positive energy. One can also smudge with other medicinal herbs, such as lavender, rosemary, juniper and others. "

NArdas

Seems a primitive and profitable angle, I mean what does a dried bundle of dried sage really cost?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Smudging is what I do when I try to write in cursive with a leaky pen.

NArdas

Smudging is what I do when I try to write in cursive with a leaky pen.

I tried writing with a hand shaved pen quill, I was not impressed with myself due to my lack of experience with a quill pen.
Are you familiar with a two fletch arrow? they are just as accurate as a three fletch and makes more sense in the side carry

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

"Burning sage when you buy a new home or after you've been around a real negative Nancy is sometimes seen as a woo-woo practice or just a New Age fad.

But smoke smudging, the spiritual ritual of creating sacred smoke using herbs or medicinal plants to cleanse a person or space and to promote healing and wisdom, has deep roots in Indigenous cultures. The ancient tradition is heavily ingrained in some Native American societies but was also used by the ancient Egyptians, Romans and other early civilizations as well.

Today, it's becoming increasingly popular in non-Native populations, and while incorporating smudging into your life can be a grounding and cleansing experience, it's crucial to understand its history, to honor its cultural significance and to smudge with thoughtful intention."

"Smudging may offer more benefits than you think. Science is slowly catching up to the spiritual, and studies show benefits ranging from reduced airborne bacteria, lower anxiety and stress, enhanced cognition and improved sleep and mood."

-The first is the container in which you'll catch the ash produced from the smudging. A traditional choice is to use a shell, representing the element of water. You can also use a fireproof bowl.
-The second element involves the herbs themselves, which are bundled into what's known as a smudge stick.

"It's also important to give thought to where you source your herbs. "There are a number of herbs one can use for smudging but use only one herb at a time. Otherwise, you are sending out mixed messages," says Larkin. Sage is the best known, but different herbs can be used for different reasons and are thought to produce different results. "Smudging with sage or cedar is known to dispel negative energy and bring about feelings of peace; sweetgrass brings in positive energy. One can also smudge with other medicinal herbs, such as lavender, rosemary, juniper and others. "

I recommend using things other then sage, because I know some native communities do not like it, and see it as appropriation. I use other herbs instead like Douglas fir needles, or just incense: sandalwood, cedar, etc.

NArdas

Couple bucks usually. $3? More if you want something that's gonna last your multiple hours.Edit: Primitive works btw.

I grow it for a few cents and I only use it dried in a sage dressing for U.S thanksgiving, other than that it seems useless.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I grow it for a few cents and I only use it dried in a sage dressing for U.S thanksgiving, other than that it seems useless.

I have a huge bush of it too in my garden. I use it pretty regularly as a food additive. And I've always found the smell of Sage intoxicating.

Heyo

Veteran Member

As you hinted at, smudging (or smoking) has also practical aspects that don't involve any woo. Repelling mould and insects and cleaning a room from lingering odours. Resins are usually more powerful than simple herbs, with camphor being at the top of the list. Cold cigarette smoke? Someone microwaved fish? Burn a few camphor crystals before venting and the odour is gone.

By the way, don't fear to be appropriating when burning sage. The Europeans did it long before they knew about America. And the natives don't use sage anyway. It is called white sage or prairie sage but it is really wormwood - which Europeans also used before.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
As you hinted at, smudging (or smoking) has also practical aspects that don't involve any woo. Repelling mould and insects and cleaning a room from lingering odours. Resins are usually more powerful than simple herbs, with camphor being at the top of the list. Cold cigarette smoke? Someone microwaved fish? Burn a few camphor crystals before venting and the odour is gone.

By the way, don't fear to be appropriating when burning sage. The Europeans did it long before they knew about America. And the natives don't use sage anyway. It is called white sage or prairie sage but it is really wormwood - which Europeans also used before.
Ahem "sagebrush".

And whenever I see "mould" my brain says, "that should rhyme with "would".

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

I've done it before. I don't view it as magic, more just as a symbolic ritual. I don't do it often because I don't love the smell honestly.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Sagebrush, mugwort and wormwood are different names for the same plant Artemisia vulgaris.
I know. When I first posted I included a link. Well , it did not have the relationship to mugwort and wormwood, but it did give its scientific name. It also said that it is a relative of the Sunflower and its "Artemis" arises from the Greek God for the wind since it is wind pollenated rather than bee pollenated. Oh, almost forgot. And it is the "sage" that Native Americans burned. If one has the herb sage that is a very very different plant.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Has anyone here tried it?

I have. I smudge my house with white oak sage, sweet grass, and a Palo Santo stick whenever I feel a negative presence in my house. I smudge to cleanse my home of negative energy. I also smudge with white oak sage or with a Palo Santo stick before I leave a haunted location that I was investigating. It's part of my routine to protect myself from having a spirit attach itself to me and follow me home.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I spelled it "mold" first but my spellchecker wasn't happy.
Dang Americans invading with their dang spelling:mad:

Early in our history there was an attempt to make the spelling of English more logical A few changes were made and then it was given up since it would be a monumental task..

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
I recommend using things other then sage, because I know some native communities do not like it, and see it as appropriation. I use other herbs instead like Douglas fir needles, or just incense: sandalwood, cedar, etc.

I thought of the culture appropriation too, and that's why I asked permission from a couple of tribal elders that I personally know.

InChrist

Free4ever

I definitely appreciate and use herbs and consider some to have medicinal properties and benefits. From a biblical perspective, I don’t think the practice of smudging offers any spiritual benefits, though.

What does the Bible say about smudging? | GotQuestions.org