• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Sin?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
"Sin" is nothing more than an ancient concept created by men who gained control by telling people to be ashamed of themselves, that they are a disgrace, and that only they have the way to make things better.

you don't believe the prisons and jails are full of people who might have committed egregious errors??

pearl

Has to do with the concept of moral evil. Sin does not apply to an Atheist, only to those who believe they are in a covenant relation with God, one who inflicts unjustified moral evil on another commits sin. An Atheist may transgress a law, or ones conscience, but not 'sin'.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
A person thinking they sinned may feel guilt but not all sins are "egregious" enough to require jail or prison.

"thinking they may"? are you suggesting the person committed a sin against themselves and feel guilty for it? how can a person commit a crime/sin against themselves without their consent?

i used the term in relevance to folks in prison. crimes of that nature are usually egregious. the person i responded to, used the word solely in relation to "ancient concept to control people". i would hope people were controlled even today; which committed an act of violence, or moral disparity.

Last edited:

idav

Being
Premium Member
"thinking they may"? are you suggesting the person committed a sin against themselves and feel guilty for it? how can a person commit a crime/sin against themselves without their consent?
That is similar to the fight between the carnal and the spiritual which Paul spoke a lot about.
i used the term in relevance to folks in prison. crimes of that nature are usually egregious. the person i responded to, used the word solely in relation to "ancient concept to control people". i would hope people were controlled even today; which committed an act of violence, or moral disparity.
Thats the point of law and order but your trying to compare secular law to crimes against God. A sin is going against religious law. What your suggesting is just cage all humans for being born animals.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
That is similar to the fight between the carnal and the spiritual which Paul spoke a lot about.
quoting paul doesn't make you christian. using the word sin doesn't make me religious, or atheist.

Thats the point of law and order but your trying to compare secular law to crimes against God. A sin is going against religious law. What your suggesting is just cage all humans for being born animals.

nope, i'm suggesting that men who commit violent and personal crimes are sinners, or criminals. the word used doesn't matter. the negative behavior is unacceptable whether religious, or secular.

stealing isn't usually acceptable for the religious, or the secular. that is, unless you're a criminal/sinner.

most criminals in the usa are christians, yet the secular government doesn't give a whit how they identify themselves. They are concerned with the behavior. The negative behavior is devoid of empathy.

allfoak

Alchemist
What is a transgession?
An act of disobedience not done in ignorance.

Watch your step!
Or you might end up in the rabbit hole.
4961.jpg

Jonathan Ainsley Bain

Logical Positivist
What is a transgession?

There are two basic types of error.
The first type is accidental, we all make errors, we are all born into this 'original sin'.
But we learn from such through 'trial and error' and thus we advance, but often such error
is not actually harmful, but even creative. Someone once said that the best song-writers
are clumsy musicians.

The second type is quite different. It is essentially the refusal to accept that one has erred.
Essentially egotism is its nature. Where instead of learning from error, the error is repeated.
This is how murderers become mass-murderers. This type of sin is pathological.

John 3:

19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.

21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

Note this part:
The person who 'doeth truth cometh to the light'. But in order to move into the light, he must have been in darkness.
So there is a humility in accepting one's errors that is necessary in becoming enlightened.
Whereas the 'evil' person refuses to acknowledge his errors.
This is how the 'personality complex' comes about. Through egotism, one error becomes more and more errors.
For example, the character of Loki in the Nordic tradition.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
An act of disobedience not done in ignorance.

Watch your step!
Or you might end up in the rabbit hole.
4961.jpg

unfortunately ignorance of the law is not an excuse.

i agree that there are two types of sin/crime/transgression. there is willful or wanton and basically ignorance

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
There are two basic types of error.
The first type is accidental, we all make errors, we are all born into this 'original sin'.
But we learn from such through 'trial and error' and thus we advance, but often such error
is not actually harmful, but even creative. Someone once said that the best song-writers
are clumsy musicians.

The second type is quite different. It is essentially the refusal to accept that one has erred.
Essentially egotism is its nature. Where instead of learning from error, the error is repeated.
This is how murderers become mass-murderers. This type of sin is pathological.

Note this part:
The person who 'doeth truth cometh to the light'. But in order to move into the light, he must have been in darkness.
So there is a humility in accepting one's errors that is necessary in becoming enlightened.
Whereas the 'evil' person refuses to acknowledge his errors.
This is how the 'personality complex' comes about. Through egotism, one error becomes more and more errors.
For example, the character of Loki in the Nordic tradition.

Love is the whole of the Law, or Law of One. All the commandments rest upon this ONE idea

Last edited:

idav

Being
Premium Member
quoting paul doesn't make you christian. using the word sin doesn't make me religious, or atheist.

nope, i'm suggesting that men who commit violent and personal crimes are sinners, or criminals. the word used doesn't matter. the negative behavior is unacceptable whether religious, or secular.

stealing isn't usually acceptable for the religious, or the secular. that is, unless you're a criminal/sinner.

most criminals in the usa are christians, yet the secular government doesn't give a whit how they identify themselves. They are concerned with the behavior. The negative behavior is devoid of empathy.
Secular thought on morality is generally based on negative consequences to self or others where as religious thought on sin is generally based on whether it's offensive to god. Not everyone agrees on what is sinful but sin is a religious thing, generally Christian since even religions like Buddhism don't have "sin".

allfoak

Alchemist
unfortunately ignorance of the law is not an excuse.

i agree that there are two types of sin/crime/transgression. there is willful or wanton and basically ignorance
The punishment is much less or not at all, since it is not willful.