• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Reality?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
In another thread, the phrase "respect for reality" was used. So what is 'reality?' Who determines what it is?

Reality is commonly defined as the sum or aggregate of all that is real. Okay, so let's go from there...

What is real? Who definitively determines what is real? Can we accept "existing or occurring as fact, i.e., not imaginary or supposed" as a working definition? Supposing we can...

Can what is real only be determined objectively? Does everyone have to agree to what existing or occurring as fact?

Or is what is real subjective? Can something exist or occur to a person or group of people (or other beings for that matter) but not be objectively evident to others?

Discuss.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I rather like the OED definitions, they match my view perfectly

Reality
  1. the state of things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional idea of them.

2. the state or quality of having existence or substance.
I will add, something that can be observed, to me that makes it objective

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Reality
  1. the state of things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional idea of them.

2. the state or quality of having existence or substance.

Fair enough. So based on these definitions, how would you answer the other questions posed in the OP, specifically those concerning reality being objective vs. subjective?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The fact our knowledge is ultimately subjective, and there is no such thing as objective knowledge, does not entail that reality is subjective, nor that reality cannot be objective.

The fact that people disagree on the nature of objective reality is poor evidence for the notion that reality is subjective. Just because I think 2 + 2 = 10, and you think it equals 6 does not mean it doesn't equal 4.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The question of "what is reality" is best answered in operational terms -- which are most likely beyond the scope of an internet forum to deal with.

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist
In another thread, the phrase "respect for reality" was used. So what is 'reality?' Who determines what it is?
Maybe it should be "WHAT" determines reality instead of the personal "WHO" which can be subjective only?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
The question of "what is reality" is best answered in operational terms -- which are most likely beyond the scope of an internet forum to deal with.

Then what business do we have at all tossing the term around in the venue of internet forum?

ChristineM

Premium Member
Fair enough. So based on these definitions, how would you answer the other questions posed in the OP, specifically those concerning reality being objective vs. subjective?

It seems i edited my post while you were replying. Something that can be observed is real, if it can be observed its objective

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
The fact our knowledge is ultimately subjective, and there is no such thing as objective knowledge, does not entail that reality is subjective, nor that reality cannot be objective.

The fact that people disagree on the nature of objective reality is poor evidence for the notion that reality is subjective. Just because I think 2 + 2 = 10, and you think it equals 6 does not mean it doesn't equal 4.

I'll give you that.

But instead of mathematics, let's talk about colors. In your perceived reality, what evidence do we have that the color blue looks the same to me as it does to you? You can be seeing or perceiving an entirely different color than I do, but have only learned to call it blue because of conditioning. Therefore, the reality or experience of blue is real to me, but if you saw the exact same color, it might be called something entirely different in your reality, so it might not be real to you. And there actually is evidence of this in the fact that people have different color preferences.

Same can be said for other sense objects such as smell, taste, etc.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
It seems i edited my post while you were replying. Something that can be observed is real, if it can be observed its objective

I disagree. Unless I'm mistaken, there are conditions needed for something to be considered objective other than mere observation. Wouldn't you agree that that something would have to be verifiable, quantifiable, and not subject to bias to be considered objective?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Reality is commonly defined as the sum or aggregate of all that is real. Okay, so let's go from there...

What is real? Who definitively determines what is real? Can we accept "existing or occurring as fact, i.e., not imaginary or supposed" as a working definition? Supposing we can...

Can what is real only be determined objectively? Does everyone have to agree to what existing or occurring as fact?

Or is what is real subjective? Can something exist or occur to a person or group of people (or other beings for that matter) but not be objectively evident to others?

Discuss.
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.”

- Philip K. Dick

ChristineM

Premium Member
I disagree. Unless I'm mistaken, there are conditions needed for something to be considered objective other than mere observation. Wouldn't you agree that that something would have to be verifiable, quantifiable, and not subject to bias to be considered objective?

Observation handles most of those points, bias however is a tricky one, multiple indipendent observations should take care if it though

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist
Okay. Go ahead and answer your question. What determines reality?
OK :) As a starter, I quote a part of my profile signature:

"We all live on the same Earth; in the same Solar System; in the same Milky Way galaxy and in the same part of the observable Universe . . .".

That´s the basic reality for all humans on Earth and this reality is described in numerous ancient cultural Stories of Creation as well in modern astronomy and cosmology.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.”

- Philip K. Dick

From the mystical point of view "Nothing is real but God" and everything we experience is maya, illusion. And we realize the truth of this when the veils of ignorance are finally gone.

Next question ;)

Love God

Discuss.

Yes. Yes. Yes.

There is an absolute standard that exists but is either ignored or mocked.

Why do most all people understand that stealing is ‘wrong’?

Where did that ‘standard’ come from?

Do you believe absolute truth exists?
How do you prove it?
(Could you present your case in a court of law?!!)

“One law and one manner shall be for you, and for the stranger that sojourneth with you.”
‭‭Numbers‬ ‭15:16‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Is the knowledge/understanding of right/wrong ‘across the board’...

Joy

PureX

Veteran Member

Reality: the state of things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional idea of them.
Except we can't have one without the other. "Actual existence" is an "ideological notion".
... the state or quality of having existence or substance.
"Having existence" is a tautological vacuum, and, "or substance" is philosophical materialism. Neither of which define "reality" beyond their own bias.