• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is reality?

We Never Know

No Slack
I posted this in another thread, relating something else, but it made me wonder, how people perceive reality.

As we know time is relative, so it depend on speed and acceleration. So if we take two identical watches and throw one of them in a spaceship and keep the other one on Earth. Now we accelerate the spaceship and let it go around Earth at the speed of light for a few days and then bring it back again, then the watch will show a different time than the one on Earth, in fact it will be behind. So time have passed more slowly for the watch in the spaceship than the watch on Earth. Now that is pretty weird, in it self.

But lets try to make it slightly more weird. Since that is true for the watches, its also true for us as humans. Even though we all perceive time equally here on Earth, we are actually living in different realities, your "now" is not my "now". the difference is simply so small than we don't perceive it as such. So now we are going to screw it up even more. So I put you in a spaceship and fire you into space at the speed of light. Now time is really going slow for you, so I age much faster than you. But my past is also changing compared to yours as I have more years of it. But it haven't happened for you yet as it haven't caught up with you. So when you finally reach your destination nothing really seems to have changed a lot for you, but I would have been long dead. And your perception of reality as you remember it, also doesn't exist anymore, but is in fact the past and not something that happened yesterday but maybe 100 of years ago, depending on how long you have been travelling for.

So lets make it even stranger. Now you arrive at you destination and encounter an alien race, which turns out to be humans from Earth, having developed faster than light space travel or wormhole technology and therefore reached the destination faster than you did, so basically you traveled into the future of humanity. So now your understanding of reality is completely screwed :D

So how do you see reality, is it individual or do we actually share it with each other?

It depends on what we have, see, hear, taste, feel, smell, experience, do, believe, think, etc. Everyone these are different for everyone and at no time will all the above be equal to anyone else.

Every ones reality is different. Everyone should make the best of the reality they experience because it's solely theirs. Even when It comes to aging, everyone ages differently. That is my opinion.

Nimos

No it wasn't me. :) I hardly understand STR and have looked at Quantum physics and its interesting, but Im also fairly certain that I don't understand it :D

Just wondering, did the last video solve the issue you had or did you find it irrelevant ? Because as I said Im shooting blind here, simply trying to help you and have no counter arguments to what you are saying?

Because if its way off and not relevant in whether one or the other is true, it makes little sense as I have no clue what im talking about :D

Terry Sampson

Just wondering, did the last video solve the issue you had or did you find it irrelevant ?

(a) The video was a tolerable, brief, and rudimentary introduction to Einstein's STR.
(b) As such, it didn't tell me anything I didn't know and it didn't solve the issue that underlies my rejection of STR. Unfortunately, I already know that no explanation and discussion of STR is going to change my mind.

Because as I said Im shooting blind here, simply trying to help you and have no counter arguments to what you are saying?

I appreciate your attempt, but ... like I said, nothing's going to change my mind: I'm doomed to leave this world as a baptized and confirmed anti-relativist. :D