• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Is 'Real?'

QuestioningMind

In another (non-debate) thread, it was asked what 'real' is. A response to that question was the Google dictionary definition, "actually existing as a thing or occurring in fact; not imagined or supposed."

How can one be certain something is real given that definition? I'm fairly certain nearly everyone has had dreams that, while dreaming, they thought were real until they awoke.

What one perceives is merely a model resulting from sense organs that create electrical signals as interpreted by the brain. How can one trust that these are, indeed, real? How do you know you won't wake up from this reality into a 'real' one?

Ah yes... the old, what if we're all just existing in the Matrix or I am simply 'dreaming' all of reality dilemma. It's certainly possible that what we perceive as reality is just an elaborate video game or we're just having a dream that's indistinguishable from reality. But if that is indeed the case, we have no choice but to live our 'lives' according to whatever the 'rules' are for the particular game or dream we happen to be experiencing. In the case of whatever it is that we all believe we're experiencing right now, the 'rules' for what is real match the Google definition, in which you can distinguish between 'reality' and dreams, regardless of how real the dream felt while you were having it.

To attempt to do otherwise leads to madness.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Ah yes... the old, what if we're all just existing in the Matrix or I am simply 'dreaming' all of reality dilemma. It's certainly possible that what we perceive as reality is just an elaborate video game or we're just having a dream that's indistinguishable from reality. But if that is indeed the case, we have no choice but to live our 'lives' according to whatever the 'rules' are for the particular game or dream we happen to be experiencing. In the case of whatever it is that we all believe we're experiencing right now, the 'rules' for what is real match the Google definition, in which you can distinguish between 'reality' and dreams, regardless of how real the dream felt while you were having it.

To attempt to do otherwise leads to madness.

No, reality is not as simple as that definition. It is a part of it, but not all. And it has nothing to religion or not. It is in effect as much as anything philosophy and the limit of knowledge and all those other cognitive words.

exchemist

Veteran Member
In another (non-debate) thread, it was asked what 'real' is. A response to that question was the Google dictionary definition, "actually existing as a thing or occurring in fact; not imagined or supposed."

How can one be certain something is real given that definition? I'm fairly certain nearly everyone has had dreams that, while dreaming, they thought were real until they awoke.

What one perceives is merely a model resulting from sense organs that create electrical signals as interpreted by the brain. How can one trust that these are, indeed, real? How do you know you won't wake up from this reality into a 'real' one?
Objectivity.

What we call "real" is what we can agree seems to be the case, i.e. is a perception that people thought to be reliable share.

Obviously you can pick holes in that, but a consensus if basically it's what it comes down to. In science we consider reproducible observations real.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Objectivity.

What we call "real" is what we can agree seems to be the case, i.e. is a perception that people thought to be reliable share.

Obviously you can pick holes in that, but a consensus if basically it's what it comes down to. In science we consider reproducible observations real.

I don't agree with your "we" as for "real". Your "we" is not objective nor scientific as such. It is subjective in the end. Learn to check your words and thoughts.
The same for "consider". That is subjective and only "real" as for what you "consider real".

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Things exist in my perceptions in my dream state. Are these real?

Yes they are forms that exist in your dream state. People can be frozen, stop breathing, fall, walk and die in their dream states. I believe you have to say if you are physically or mentally effected it is real as you are real. It's just more things are very subjective in your dreams if you realize your dreaming you can define the dream itself making it personally subjective.

Sw. Vandana Jyothi

Truth is One, many are the Names
Premium Member

I really hope I awaken into Real real soon, Salixji. :D

Terry Sampson

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש

It takes at least 2 people to define reality.

Reality is the subjective experience of phenomenon where all involved parties overwhelmingly agree on the nature of a material object or phenomena.

One person dreaming cannot determine whether or not the dream is "real". However if two people have the same dream, then those two people can conclude that their dream is real.

If a 3rd person enters the conversation who did not have the dream, then doubt is introduced.

If a 4th person enters the conversation who had the same dream of the first two, then the doubt is diminished.

Continuing this pattern develops an internal visualization of reality as a cloud of possibilities where the likelihood ( odds ) of the dream being real ebbs and flows like a cloud being effected by the wind and/or temperature change.

All of this ^^ is from the human perspective.

Rising above that ( or deeper into that ), from a divine perspective, reality does not ebb and flow at all. The ebbing and flowing is part of the reality.

Because of that; the definition of reality needs two sides. The side from the perspective of a finite being, and also the side from the perspective as a divine being.

Trying to imagine reality and define it ( aka what is real ) is rather easy from both sides if taken individually. Either as the finite *or* as the infinite. But trying to imagine both at the same time ( which would be a more complete understanding ) gives me a massive headache. So I avoid it. I think it's a personal limitation on my own brain-power / intellect.

That's why when this question gets asked, I usually give my answer from the perspective of a finite being. But since you, salix, are not a finite being ( If I recall from your previous posts ), then I attempted to offer both sides of the coin to give a more complete answer.

------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding waking up from the dream, "How do you know you won't wake up from this reality into a 'real' one?"

For me, my opinion? I don't know that I won't wake up from this reality not a real one. I simply don't know that at all. It's just like not knowing when I'm going to die, or how. I know it may happen at any moment, and yet it doesn't bother me too much.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

are you trying to differentiate between temporarily real and eternally real?

exchemist

Veteran Member
I don't agree with your "we" as for "real". Your "we" is not objective nor scientific as such. It is subjective in the end. Learn to check your words and thoughts.
The same for "consider". That is subjective and only "real" as for what you "consider real".
Aha, you're picking holes in it, just as I said you could. So I don't need check my words or my thoughts.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't ask the question.

Instead, I ask a different - how do I (or others that can communicate with me successfully) experience this?

Focusing on experience results in a more nuanced, less binary perspective. In human languages we already have a lot of other words to describe our experiences in a more accurate way than some simplistic binary anyway. It helps eschew pointless arguments and instead focus on the substance of human experience.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Now turn that into a true model itself. You can't.

I said nothing about having a 'true model'. I required a *minimal, predictive* model. And, furthermore, if there is more than one such model, then I only consider what all of them agree to.